Close Coupling Hornby HST Mk3's

Marky B

Hi All,

I've got a set of eight Hornby HST Mk3 coaches arriving on Monday, which I would like to close couple. They will run on a layout which is an end of line terminus running into a fiddle yard. Therefore, no sharp curves to negotiate. I presume they come with NEM type couplers (are they 362 type?). So my question is, what is the best replacement to use for the tension-lock couplings, given the coaches will not need to be uncoupled, other than when removing them from the layout?

Regards,

Mark

Edited by Marky B

I've not used these yet, but you might want to consider Hunt Couplings - https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/hunt-couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-elite-oo-gauge-new-c-21/buckeye-elite-couplings-c-28/hunt-couplings-elite-buckeye-pack-for-hst-set-with-nem-couplings-oo-gauge-p-132

I'm tempted to try these on my own HST once I get my layout up and running - it doesn't have any track laid yet, so trying out alternative couplings isn't a priority for me at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dungrange said:

I've not used these yet, but you might want to consider Hunt Couplings - https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/hunt-couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-elite-oo-gauge-new-c-21/buckeye-elite-couplings-c-28/hunt-couplings-elite-buckeye-pack-for-hst-set-with-nem-couplings-oo-gauge-p-132

I'm tempted to try these on my own HST once I get my layout up and running - it doesn't have any track laid yet, so trying out alternative couplings isn't a priority for me at the moment.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I've had a look at the website, they look like just what I want, so I ordered a set! I'll put some photos and a report on here once I get them.

Regards,

Mark

The Hunt couplings look interesting but, I'd be tempted to fit Kadees (in the proper position in the headstocks) or, being careful with money, a length or wire pivoted one end and fitting into a hole in the floor on the other. Both these solutions assume that the radii are large enough to not require some sort of extending coupling.

The problem with Kadees David, is that there is something like 5mm slop between them.  This makes close coupling very problematic.  Hunt, are designed to use the NEM pockets and there is no slop.  There are also a plethora of different configurations to suit most stock.  The trains I saw were very close coupled (the coaches had cams) and looked very good indeed.

In the past I have used Tony Wrights hook and wire system.  This works well but takes some effort to set up.

John

Edited by brossard

3 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

The Hunt couplings look interesting but, I'd be tempted to fit Kadees (in the proper position in the headstocks) 

What benefit do you think Kadee couplings would offer relative to the Hunt couplings?  I see Kadee couplings as clearly superior for stock that is going to be shunted, but if stock is to be operated as a fixed rake, then there is no slack in the Hunt system, which means that the stock is a fixed distance apart irrespective of whether the power car is at the front or rear of the set.  In videos posted on YouTube, I'm impressed, albeit I've not seen them in use in real life.

My own approach is, I think, going to be to fit Kadee to locomotives and some coaches / wagons, but to use these Hunt couplings within rakes that I don't intend to split during an operating session.  However, whilst I've fitted some stock with Kadee couplings, I've still to try out the Hunt system.

I agree about Kadees being used for shunting.  Hunt could be fitted to goods wagons but uncoupling would take both hands of God, somewhat destroying any illusions.

The great benefit of Hunt is in coupling rakes of coaches.  Because they use NEM pockets, you can install Hunt in your loco too.  If you want the capability to change rake locos during ops, then, of course, Kadees would be the way to go at the loco end.

John

Edited by brossard

The Kadees at least look like the real couplings, but for a fixed HST set I can't see any great advantage the magnetic coupling. Of course, if you want to use the NEM pocket they just plug in without any additional work. It rather depends if you want to remove the stock from the track. Kadees and my wire coupling* allow a straight lift and the Hunt merely requires the coaches to be pulled apart first.

All are better than tension locks. Slack in the couplings is best avoided by using working gangway connectors.

* I don't claim any originality in this. Hambling's used to sell  a similar coupling 70 years ago and it wasn't original then.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this subject. As far as I'm concerned, the Hunt couplings seem the obvious answer for my specific problem as indeed, the HST rake will not be shunted, but remain as a complete rake with locos. However, concerning the rest of the stock, there will be shunting required. As a 4mm finescale EM gauge modeller, in the past, I've fitted my stock with 3-link/instanter or screw-couplings as necessary. For this layout, I may very well do the same thing, I'm currently assessing my options.

There is one other thing I would like to ask, not coupling related, but rather stock related. My layout is based in Cornwall and there will be china clay traffic on it. The timely re-release of the EFE "Tiger Rail" PBA's and Dapol "Silver Bullets" have come at just the right time. However, the French SNCF tarpaulin-covered "Transferry" 80 tonnes gross loaded weight wagons were used for certain types of china clay shipments. Were these made in 4mm scale (rather than HO 3.5mm) and if so, can they still be found to buy? I'm not particularly worried about the finish, (I can respray in the correct livery), but would like to have a couple on the layout if possible. I did manage to get hold of one new Heljan "Cargowaggon" before they sold out, so that was a pleasing addition. Again, wouldn't have minded two for the layout, but they sold like hotcakes!

Regards,

Mark