Class 37 063 rail freight ted stripe livery

ianmacc

One of my favourite models as a child was the Hornby class 37 063 in rail freight red stripe livery. However, I can find no pictures of this locomotive in this livery in real life that suggests it is a work of fiction. Did 063 ever carry red stripe rail freight livery? I know it carried the later variant.

Work of fiction is a bit harsh but back in those days the tendency was to apply a prototypical livery and then attach a class number without checking whether the actual loco was so decorated. You just had to pretend your layout was in an alternate universe where said loco had indeed received the livery :)

17 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Work of fiction is a bit harsh but back in those days the tendency was to apply a prototypical livery and then attach a class number without checking whether the actual loco was so decorated. You just had to pretend your layout was in an alternate universe where said loco had indeed received the livery :)

Maybe harsh by the standards of the time agreed but by today's standards it is poor, the livery as modelled by Hornby was never applied to a split box 37, let alone 37063 as the split boxes only ever got the red stripe version. It was a shame Hornby never tooled the correct bogies for the 37 as in many respects it was a good base model for detailing being broadly the correct shape

• Like 1

I agree re the shape, there is one in my projects box for treatment to the nose ends, windscreen and to have correct bogies fitted. And I agree that today it would be way off to number a loco without working from an actual prototype. One of the more enjoyable developments in RTR has been the modelling of everyday (i.e. not celebrity) locos based on actual prototypes as they were running for the period concerned.

2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I agree re the shape, there is one in my projects box for treatment to the nose ends, windscreen and to have correct bogies fitted. And I agree that today it would be way off to number a loco without working from an actual prototype. One of the more enjoyable developments in RTR has been the modelling of everyday (i.e. not celebrity) locos based on actual prototypes as they were running for the period concerned.

I detailed up a couple of Hornby shells for one of the Growler Group committee members some years ago, I had some brass grilles etc spare and gave them a full respray as 37215 and they looked nice. I also saw a Hornby 37 on a Bachmann chassis and again it was a nice model. I have detailed most of the RTR 37s over the years and have been amazed how much work is required even on the current Bachmann model. Ironically as I move from 4mm to 7mm the Accurascale announce a 4mm version and I have the joy if that's the right word of sorting the Heljan 7mm version...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Lima were good at that. 33025 and 87022 in large logo blue for example! 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, 37114 said:

It was a shame Hornby never tooled the correct bogies for the 37 as in many respects it was a good base model for detailing being broadly the correct shape

I agree, the switch to the 'pancake' motor bogie around 1974 was an opportunity missed by Hornby. I could never understand why they were prepared to tool up something obscure like an LBSCR brake van, with an underframe which couldn't be used for anything else, but not be bothered with a single bogie frame moulding to  correct the Class 37's running gear. So it ended up mounted on 'borrowed' bogies for around 35 years. Such a long-lived and clearly popular model deserved better.

Dave Alexander produced whitemetal bogie sideframes for it and the conveniently narrow Class 47 bogie frames meant that not a lot of filing down was required.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 27/09/2020 at 17:39, adb968008 said:

Lets not forget TOPS green large logo 37’s.. and Irish Railways Hymek.

Though Wrenn were far worse at inventing creations.

The green TOPS class 37 073 was sold as such only as a mail order catalogue offering (littlewoods or similar) in a train set. I think it was to distinguish it from the main range 37 071 in more conventional but still wrong blue livery. 

The Irish Hymek had a Lima equivalent in the Irish class 33. Which also had matching livery coaches. I guess in those days they would have been received favourably by the Irish modellers as the alternative was literally nothing!

Hello

Just finished a repaint of 37063 into Rfd livery circa 1989. One of my favourites too. Just needs a bit of weathering to finish it off.

Cheers

George