Pine Quarry

SR71

• RMweb Premium

I've recently finished restoring a display cabnet (still to go on the wall) and it's occured to me a shelf in it could be good place for a diorama so that I have somewhere to photograph my stock. This may not happen but I thought if I started a thread on here there is more chance I might do something... some time.

At the moment it be an industrial shed located in the older section of an open cast quarry - probably granet. The area's been worked for a long time and with spring water available, but production moved on, it evolved to be the place the for servicing the new machines as industrialisation took over.

489923814_shelfCapture.PNG.cdee85152fc75417ba33dbf6ae7bd7e1.PNG

Roughed together the above to see what was possible in the space in Anyrail. Viewing from the bottom, quarry face along top and left. Quarried tunnel to exit left if I wired it up and had fiddle yard/plank. Airfix/Dapol shed at bottom (had one on to build shelf for 20 odd years). Shed at top built out of quarry rock with quarry face forming top wall and roof having given up on first section, as it seems to have in so many photos from the 60's/70's, but shed still in use. Steam/utilities pipes bridged accross between the two building to hide that the track goes nowhere. In and out lines in same relative position should this ever become a sandwich board in something bigger.

SR71 

Edited by SR71
spelling
  • Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the likes. Some small progress, the cabinet is now on the wall but having measured it again I think I will have to adjust my plans. While the above arrangement fits on the shelf it won't go through the door!

20201018_175336.jpg.17919d599151de83628a54582a7c0344.jpg

Edited by SR71
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So with the different dimensions I've tried a couple of alternate designs along the same principles;

1968282410_shelfCapture2.JPG.926c337ca3f09ef74468c98c53119b82.JPG2032578430_shelfCapture3.JPG.45d2e7c7b2c4122dabd9e13cb1f732d8.JPG

I've not tidied these images up like I did the first one, the sheds are all airfix for instance and I wouldn't be using the little hut on the back. Who'd have thought there would be so many options in such a small space! Track is peco code 75 but for experiance and look I've a mind to try building my own.

• Like 1

An interesting project for sure, and I agree it's possible to spend ages shuffling things around in AnyRail! Of those two plans I think I prefer the top one, it feels more realistic. Perhaps add another siding at the front - it would have to be isolated, but could be made to appear to connect somewhere off-stage to the right.

Whatever you choose, I would heavily recommend building some simple card mock-ups of your sheds, track and rolling stock, to try setting up viewing angles in your beautifully restored cabinet - things might take up more space than you realise!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely idea - sharing the photo of the cabinet (very impressive) also gives the context.  As it is in the corner of the room by the look of it, I wonder if it might make for easier photography if the bigger shed is at the left?

Just a thought - whatever you go for it could be really good.  Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Edited for text only as photos no longer available
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

@keithaddenbrooke You are right, it must be something to do with being left handed but I nearly always start off drawing things back to front! I can't take credit for the look of the cabinet other than the shelves I've just given it a wax. My work was building up the internal structure as it was falling apart having been put together with more hope than technical reasoning.

@TechnicArrow Thanks, I'm probably being greedy with that second one. It got me thinking about the space available though. Playing in anyrail and looking at the shelf got me thinking that maybe I haven't quite got the settings right as it seemed to be rather optimistic about what would sit in the space. I wedged the shed together last night to check and I think that confirms my suspicions.

20201024_102006.jpg.437bccd849af5e24388f1776c477fdab.jpg20201024_102021.jpg.6d32604a666f5cfafbbd6efaae6a98cc.jpg

So I think I will be getting out the cardboard and sticky back plastic as you suggest this weekend!

• Like 3

On 20/10/2020 at 16:09, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Lovely idea - sharing the photo of the cabinet (very impressive) also gives the context.  As it is in the corner of the room by the look of it, I wonder if it might make for easier photography if the bigger shed is at the left?

I hope you don’t mind, but I downloaded and flipped one of the suggestions to show what I mean:

1B258E59-8FDF-4350-A3C4-FCBC320E569D.jpeg.33218a44a16a93e4c72dcee7f6958a2d.jpeg

842E73A3-51F3-4AD8-A409-3195E4B1565B.jpeg.296ad2a7a89370c55ebfeb015c2643dd.jpeg

Just a thought - whatever you go for it could be really good.  Keith.

I've got the same general track layout as the bottom one here but in "0" gauge, bought ready made and almost completed. (some where on the forum as "Black Drake Wharf II" and about 5 ft. x 19 ins.) Ignore the track at the back behind the wall, it is dummy and doesn't connect to the fiddle stick although it is powered.. With a short fiddle stick on each end I've had some fun with it, a quick 5 minute play to relax often takes an hour or so. With that in mind is it possible to make the shelf removeable by tilting it? Just an idea and perhaps not possible.

50522812183_1bda2558b4_c.jpgIMG_0387 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

50523531981_071ac533bf_c.jpgIMG_0382 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

50522811063_a8fccb72ae_c.jpgIMG_0384 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

@Phil Traxson that's good inspiration but sadly I'll have to keep to 4mm, I don't think the shelf would hold more than a couple of 7mm wagons! My plan it that the diorama will be on a mini ply layout board sitting on the cabinet shelf so that I can get it out to give more options to photograph from different angles.

I got distracted over the weekend so didn't do any further laying out but in the process I noticed something very odd. 

20201028_180102.jpg.0d6895ff6bd67fad782da41c644785f5.jpg

The airfix shed is too big! I don't think anyone has said that outside 009. It gives the interesting possibility of dropping the height and shoving the track over to get a representation of a workshop in the floor space as well as just having a loco shed.

Edited by SR71
Too many worms

I was not suggesting that you went for 7mm, just saying that, with a couple of fiddle sticks to clip on the ends, it  would be useable out of the case as it is a handy track design for occupying a few minutes shunting if it was made removeable. I think you have about the same vehicle capacity in 4mm as I have in 7mm.

Edited by Phil Traxson

13 hours ago, SR71 said:

The airfix shed is too big!

Sure I’ve seen somewhere before that the doors aren’t long enough either to reach the floor either. 

Looks good so far (your first idea reminds me of Barber’s Bridge) and looking forward to seeing this develop. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SR71 said:

Sorry @Phil Traxson , I was meaning yours looked good enough it makes me want to switch scale :)

I have the original builder to thank for most of the layout, all the hard work was done before I bought it, he even gave me most of the materials to finish it. I just supplied the stock and am slowly (very slowly!) adding paint and details to it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SR71 said:

@Phil Traxson that's good inspiration but sadly I'll have to keep to 4mm, I don't think the shelf would hold more than a couple of 7mm wagons! My plan it that the diorama will be on a mini ply layout board sitting on the cabinet shelf so that I can get it out to give more options to photograph from different angles.

I got distracted over the weekend so didn't do any further laying out but in the process I noticed something very odd. 

The airfix shed is too big! I don't think anyone has said that outside 009. It gives the interesting possibility of dropping the height and shoving the track over to get a representation of a workshop in the floor space as well as just having a just loco shed.

Remember that industrial loco's are relatively small , if you ran a main line loco in there wouldn't be so much clearance.

In my early life I lived in Burton on Trent and sometimes saw Bass and Worthington brewery shunters alongside BR loco's, even an ex LMS Jinty was large compared with them!   

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Phil Traxson said:

The doors are short so that they clear the track when both the sleepers and the bottom of the walls sit on the same level as in the photo, if they were full depth you would not be able to close them.

I wonder if they’ve also made an allowance for track underlay in the size calculation too?

• Like 1

Please excuse the quality of the photo, it's copied from a slide I took 30+ years ago of my 009 layout but it show the possibilities with the Dapol/Airfix engine shed. It was supposed to be a foundry here. I promise to not Hi jack any more of you're thread now, Sorry.

Phil T. 

20170117233914_09.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well everyone is always so rude about the Airfix shed doors so I have decided some science is needed as I have one on my bench;

1980's Hornby steel track will fit under the door :good:

20201029_183928.jpg.5f21bc0b1dd0ed578dc7bca8ebb5f944.jpg

A sheep will fit under the door :good:

20201029_184121.jpg.f0b84f3267dd8a3af9ba87885baefc7a.jpg

A cow will fit under the door :good:

20201029_184051.jpg.aa5065d8e4a8ff3865d67af3a1ff3083.jpg

The track gang forman won't fit under the door :nono:

20201029_184152.jpg.6831b70f847208f1a118208e5a5ea486.jpg

But yes, Hornby Dublo 3 rail track will fit under the door :yahoo:

20201029_184014.jpg.b80ceda12fce48c7efca0315fe98476d.jpg

@Phil Traxson feel free to deviate away, tangents welcome. I might have to follow this up with which engines will fit through the door. Sadly I don't think I've got any US diesels anymore.

Edited by SR71
Spellung
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2020 at 19:02, SR71 said:

But yes, Hornby Dublo 3 rail track will fit under the door :yahoo:

20201029_184014.jpg.b80ceda12fce48c7efca0315fe98476d.jpg

@Phil Traxson feel free to deviate away, tangents welcome. I might have to follow this up with which engines will fit through the door. Sadly I don't think I've got any US diesels anymore.

The Dublo looks plausible as an explanation.  I wouldn’t know the date of the original kit though.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Edit for text only as photos no longer available
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

The Dublo looks plausible as an explanation.  I wouldn’t know the date of the original kit though.

I can remember buying one in Woolworths for two bob late 1950's or early 1960's. (but I can't remember what I had for tea yesterday!!!) It was for a layout that included grey plastic Triang track that probably stood higher than Hornby Dublo., it was home to a Kitmaster (now Dapol) Pug.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

I can remember buying one in Woolworths for two bob late 1950's or early 1960's. (but I can't remember what I had for tea yesterday!!!) It was for a layout that included grey plastic Triang track that probably stood higher than Hornby Dublo., it was home to a Kitmaster (now Dapol) Pug.

Well according to;

https://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/series-trackside/engine-shed-p-391.html

The kit came out in 1960 and was for 'scale or commercial track'. So that would be Dublo 3 rail or the awful triang grey track? Both had substantial bases so it would make sense to have the doors elevated.

@Keith Addenbrooke
I will have to see tomorrow but judging by the peckett that chimney might still just clear.

Edited by SR71
autoincorrect

• RMweb Premium

Well rocket would lose it's crown trying to get into the shed. 5mm too tall.

This discussion has raised a good point though that I shouldn't size the shed just for the pecketts. About the biggest loco I'll have appropriate to the shed would be an austerity tank so I think I will size it to make one an uncomfortable fit. I dug out an old Dapol one this morning to take a look and it's a couple of mm taller by eye so a couple of brick courses less off the bottom of the shed.

• Like 2