Humbrol Paint - Like treacle?

Penlan

• RMweb Premium

Might be bad luck but have had a bit of a break over the summer then the first 3 tins I've opened this week all had a skin on. I was going to ask if anyone decants paint into jars or anything like that to store?

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2020 at 17:04, Ian Morgan said:

Not a solution for Humbrol, but a useful gadget I bought recently:

At a few quid a pop, I'll keep stirring with  a cocktail stick for tinlets or lolly sticks for bigger tins. Only takes 5 minutes or so.  I have some really old paints (because I'm really old.) and some of the tinlets that I have had for 35 years still work. I take the point that cacked up lids and rims van be a challenge, but not half as much as enamel paints with screw top jars.

The only enamel  screw top jars that date from 8 to 12 years ago that I can open are the ones where I applied cling film over the top before screwing the lid on. Those without cling film cannot be opened at all, those with cling film can be opened easily.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/10/2020 at 02:33, 96701 said:

I have some really old paints (because I'm really old.) and some of the tinlets that I have had for 35 years still work.

Agreed. It's the ones ove had for 35 weeks that are the problem! I generally find I'm doing well if I can use more than half the tinlet these days.

Edit: just opened my only jar and that had set as well!

Edited by Hal Nail