Farish ScotRail Mk1's

LNERJP

Hi

Has anyone purchased any of the weathered ScotRail MK1's,  I'd like to know your opinion of the weathering please?

Some pictures on retailers site's look ok and others like on "Rails of" it looks overdone. I generally avoid factory weathered models preferring to individually weather my models myself as a rake of these would just look to uniform, however maybe I could slip on or two in.

Cheers

JP

• RMweb Premium

I have declined to purchase them specifically because they have factory weathering and they charge extra for the privilege.

What hasn't helped is that a lot of retailers have used the Bachmann catalogue picture and that is of the preproduction OO scale version.

If they come up in a bargain bin (sadly unlikely given how bonkers N scale pricing is going at the moment) I might consider one.

My initial reaction to seeing these items was that Bachmann/Farish had made a mistake in releasing ScotRail branded Mk1 corridor stock (SK/BSK), as my memory of loco-hauled ScotRail services in the mid-late 1980s was that most had been upgraded to at least vacuum braked Mk2 stock (2z if you like - e.g. Edinburgh-Dundee) or air braked Mk 2a/2c (e.g. Edinburgh/Glasgow-Inverness). I thought that the remaining Mk1 stock was mainly open (TSO, BSO etc) on the likes of the West Highland Line.

However I probably have a lowland/Edinburgh memory bias as that’s where I lived. A look through a 1986 combined volume shows several SK allocated to both Inverness and Polmadie. Can someone more knowledgeable tell me if, where and for how long side corridor Mk1 stock remained in use in Scotland that might have had been branded “ScotRail”? I guess the GSW line from Glasgow-Dumfries and Carlisle, Aberdeen-Inverness and the Far North/Kyle lines are all possibilities. Were any of these routes dedicated side corridor stock or were the remaining SK run in mixed rakes with open stock.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tom.

From my research and interest Tom corridor stock was used on the West Highland line alongside open stock right up until sprinterisation. Although as you rightly state open stock was becoming a lot more common than corridor. 

There are some formations here https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=465 and one of them is from the West Highland in June 1988, which is my chosen period, the next thing I need to research is bogies as I would have thought by that time nearly all MK1's would have had Commonwealth or B4 bogies.

Then I start to think about the fact that Farish don't do any MK1's with the raised window frame:scratchhead:, or maybe I just need to realise life's to short.

Cheers

JP

• Thanks 1

On 29/09/2020 at 02:42, LNERJP said:

From my research and interest Tom corridor stock was used on the West Highland line alongside open stock right up until sprinterisation. Although as you rightly state open stock was becoming a lot more common than corridor. 

There are some formations here https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=465 and one of them is from the West Highland in June 1988, which is my chosen period, the next thing I need to research is bogies as I would have thought by that time nearly all MK1's would have had Commonwealth or B4 bogies.

Then I start to think about the fact that Farish don't do any MK1's with the raised window frame:scratchhead:, or maybe I just need to realise life's to short.

Cheers

Thanks JP, good to know ScotRail corridor stock was still around in the late 80s.

Don’t worry - I have all sorts of unrealistic plans in my head to modify various RTR items (changes which nobody else would notice) eg Dapol HST catering vehicles with the correct window layouts, a Farish Mk1 RBR. Maybe I also need to learn that life’s too short...

Edited by tiger
Grammar

• RMweb Premium
On 27/09/2020 at 09:11, LNERJP said:

Hi

Has anyone purchased any of the weathered ScotRail MK1's,  I'd like to know your opinion of the weathering please?

Some pictures on retailers site's look ok and others like on "Rails of" it looks overdone. I generally avoid factory weathered models preferring to individually weather my models myself as a rake of these would just look to uniform, however maybe I could slip on or two in.

Cheers

JP

A couple of pictures of the SK. Taken on my phone so not brilliant. The weathering is a light overall spray of something like track colour.

ADC803F6-6546-4F6F-957D-2528BF57F7A6.jpeg

4294D0C9-C8ED-4EA1-876F-CE4AE3264439.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm not generally a fan of factory-weathered models, but I have both of the ScotRail-branded Blue/Grey MK1s and the earlier Blue/Grey  MK1 works coach pack. I think both look good.

I'm also planning to purchase the forthcoming weathered Blue/Grey unbranded SK and TSO to run with the ScotRail pair.