GWR Signal box interior

wiggoforgold

I'm building a model of the ex GWR signal box at Yelverton. There was a similar box at Wrangaton, now preserved at Kidderminster. What did the stove in these boxes look like, and how did the flue from the stove enter the chimney?  The boxes have a brick chimney stack in the centre of the rear wall - did the chimney breast project in to the cabin?

Thanks in anticipation.

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

If there is a brick chimney then that must be resting on a normal brick fireplace. The stove then was placed in the fireplace with the stovepipe gong up the chimney.

If no brick chimney (later boxes, 1910s onwards) then the're was no fireplace and the stovepipe just went out through the roof. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tim V said:

I fell into that trap, best to check the photos carefully! Mine turned out to be red!

Agree. Blue engineering bricks were only used where bricks might be subjected to knocks or damage.  Hence around the base of structures or corners. Hard Staffordshire blues are impervious to water so sometimes used in footings as dampproofing.

Ian

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/09/2020 at 10:38, Tim V said:

Although I've been there several times, the Wrangaton box has never been open. However, the box at Drws-y-nant was similar, a couple of pictures of that.

Drwys-y-nant 5 October 1975 26- (2).jpg

Drwys-y-nant 5 October 1975 26- (5).jpg

Drwys-y-nant 5 October 1975 26- (6).jpg

That is a very sad sight and would make a great cake box challenge model.

Terry.