What locomotive have I just bought (and what can be done with it)??

Today is decal day. I'll post a picture in a bit when they've dried and I've varnished them so they stay put. For now, I'd just like to say: 

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH 

ARGLE BARGLE GROOBLE GLURP 

Siiiiiiggghh 

I don't think the noises we make when attempting delicate things are vocalised enough. Integral part of the hobby if you ask me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Also I've been having fun with a book called Southern Wagons Volume Four. When I bought the loco it came with some equally ancient wagons - including a little conflat type thing which I believe was supposed to be a BR one. The brake gear is totally wrong but with some planking on the top I think it can pass for the Southern diagram vehicle in the book. Got those Type A containers off eBay too. Doors appear to be wrong for Southern, but it's a cheap way to something vaguely appropriate.

Of course, wagon and container will need decals too won't they ...

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with the lettering on the other side. 

Have a question about points - the Hornby setrack points require an insulating joiner; do the Peco streamline medium radius ones? Does it depend on whether they're power routing or not as there are two versions? 

Edited by LMS Bess
Specifying points type

• RMweb Gold

Hornby setrack points do not need an insulating joiner; they have 'dead frogs', which Peco call 'insulfrogs' and switch the current in the direction they are set to so long as the feed is from the facing end of the point.  AFAIK all setrack pointwork and crossings have these dead frogs, including Peco setrack and Streamline insulfrog.  Peco also produce Streamline with 'electrofrog' live frogs, and these do need isolating joiners and a reverse polarity switch as the whole frog is live and power is tranferred to the 'wrong' rail without the polaratiy reverse.  Some newer Peco turnouts have what are called 'unifrogs', which I believe switch current in the same way as insulfrogs but have live frogs.  Peco give you a wiring diagram with electrofrog points, and presumably with unifrog as well, but I've no direct experience of the latter and don't know.

Your Peco Streamline medium radius points will be specified on the packaging as insulfrog or electrofrog, or if you don't have the packaging look at the crossing vee, the central part of the 'frog' (an American term which means nothing to a UK railwayman but is used in the hobby).  If the vee is plastic, you have an insulfrog, if it is metal, you have an electrofrog.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/11/2020 at 14:40, LMS Bess said:

I don't think the noises we make when attempting delicate things are vocalised enough. Integral part of the hobby if you ask me. 

Indeed true. But a large percentage do not bear repeating on a family forum like this!

• Funny 4

It might cause a slight bloom in the spots where the water laid. If it does, you could try polishing it out very gently using T-cut, the finest you can get hold of. The one time I had a varnish coat go bad was in misty air and in the end I had to flat it away and redo it. Let's hope you get lucky :)

Edited by AdamsRadial
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello folks! Right, well, some stuff has happened since I was last here but as this winter approaches I'm thinking of actually doing something towards a layout for the R1 to run on. 

My first step is likely to be a much reduced functional diorama of the end of the pier, in which much of the pointwork used to get between the three tracks is replaced with a simple hand traverser. I'm tinkering with some diagrams and will post these currently rather than trying to use words.  

Rationale for starting with a diorama is, I'll need to do a bunch of stuff I've not done before: embedded track for one (on the cobblestone top surface of the harbour wharf), and nailing down and wiring up OO gauge track including *possibly* some points, whereas before I've had it easy with Kato N Gauge stuff. If the diorama goes well, I may graduate to a longer stretch of the pier with more intricate pointwork.   

There will, no doubt, be some Questions. 

• Like 2

Here, then, is the diagram I've come up with. As you can see, there are two options, one of which cuts out pointwork entirely (their effect replicated by a traverse) and one which includes just two points that you actually see, which I suspect would be plenty to be going on with right now. 

One advantage to these plans is I really only have this one shelf to put this thing. Now, the lengths of plywood here can be kind of shuffled up and down that shelf as needed to ... you know what? It would take another diagram to explain what I'm on about. For now, if anyone can spot any glaring and obvious problems in the diagram, do let me know! 

Latest Mad Scribble.JPG

On seeing this thread again it reminded me that I had done up an R1 over the past couple of months. This is it.  It is just a quick repaint from the awful yellow the body was made in. Will probably at some point go and add the extra bells and whistles to it. But it is a long way down the to do list. Yours has turned out very nicely.

DSC_1043.JPG

DSC_1044.JPG

DSC_1045.JPG

DSC_1046.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

She's a Dublo 'Duchess of Montrose'. The nickel silver tyred driving wheels and nylon bogie wheels suggest a two rail conversion?

Unless she has been varnished, the gloss finish suggests a model from 1953 or 1954.

Behind the Duchess, there is a Dublo 'Deltic'.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

She's a Dublo 'Duchess of Montrose'. The nickel silver tyred driving wheels and nylon bogie wheels suggest a two rail conversion?

Unless she has been varnished, the gloss finish suggests a model from 1953 or 1954.

Behind the Duchess, there is a Dublo 'Deltic'.

Hi all,

Il Grifone you are quite right about the Duchess. But the diesel is the Co-Co. The Deltic has a different paint scheme and was sold as a Deltic. Plus there are some very slight differences in the casting between these engines. The main ones are that on the Co-Co's roof over the cabs and the middle section of the roof it is smooth. On the Deltic there is a raised ridge oblong ridge running from near the front of both the cabs all the way along the sides of the top of the body end to end. This is easy to see on the Deltic due to the way it has been painted. There are also small ridges running round the edges of the side cab window frames on the Deltic that are not on the Co-Co. There are supposed to be some other minor detail differences I believe but I have not found them. But these and the different paint schemes are the 3 main ones. Sorry I do not have any pictures of the boxes. But the boxes are also labelled as either Co-Co or Deltic.

DSC_1028.JPG

DSC_1039.JPG

DSC_1033.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Agree 1

It was originally supposed to be a Deltic, but BR did the dirty on them and changed details at the last moment. (The same thing happened to Hornby with their Class 58.) The various ridges are just aids to painting the elaborate livery. I assume they had stocks of the earlier version to clear out and just called it a Class 5 (and fooled nobody!).

I repainted one to the proper livery and was really pleased with the green I'd mixed for the lower band*. Then the last couple of inches of masking tape** flaked off a bit when I peeled it off!  :o:(:mad:. It's still awaiting to be redone....

* There seem to be various versions of this!

** Tamiya so I can't even blame cheap tape.

So I have a Question about wiring up points (if I decide to do the version of the diorama with points). The points in question would be Peco SL95 with insulated frogs. 

Now then, obviously we want the two wires going in one to either rail, and we want those power feeds going in at the toe end of each point (at least, if not in more places, the more the better). This much is secure in my brain.

What happens, however, at the connection between the two points (ringed in red at centre of the attached picture)? As the points are insulfrog, I would presume that if both points are set to direct traffic 'rightward' - i.e. along the curved track not the straight track - insulfrog means no power is going that way? So would I need a power feed at the bit where the points connect too?    

Points Question.JPG