What locomotive have I just bought (and what can be done with it)??

And here we are. Summer was too hot to work in. Here are August's labours: my rendition of the Cambrian SR 10 ton wagon kit, which is very nice to put together, I found, some railings, and a backdrop painting, which is currently just clipped in place hence the weird bulge but you get the idea. 

The ship will be a low relief flat. 

IMG_20220826_174629_246.jpg

IMG_20220826_174705_101.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, at some point who knows when, I'll move on to passenger services. I've built up a set of Maunsell carriages after careful consultation of the book SR Passenger Stock and have something vaguely accurate, although some need repainting and the horrors of lining. 

I'll need to fit hook/chain couplers to these - I've been using Smith's LP4s on my freight stock, but, is there a more accurate type to use for carriages or are there any problems with using the Smith's couplers on them? 

• RMweb Gold

I believe Smith’s do a screw coupling as used on passenger stock and locomotives.  Other makes are available but avoid the cosmetic versions from the RTR companies unless your loadings are very light (which ISTR they are), as these are not designed for actual use as couplings. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/09/2022 at 21:57, LMS Bess said:

So, at some point who knows when, I'll move on to passenger services. I've built up a set of Maunsell carriages after careful consultation of the book SR Passenger Stock and have something vaguely accurate, although some need repainting and the horrors of lining. 

I'll need to fit hook/chain couplers to these - I've been using Smith's LP4s on my freight stock, but, is there a more accurate type to use for carriages or are there any problems with using the Smith's couplers on them? 

I'm pretty sure that Maunsell (and Bulleid) mainline stock had knuckle couplings, like those on the LNER and BR coaches. SR secondary stock, such as the exL&SWR stock made by Hornby would have screw couplings

So Kadees would be the way to go if you're looking for some similarity to prototype.

John.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_20221004_125856_769.jpg.29907be583af29c3ee541a4f522767b8.jpgIMG_20221004_125918_987.jpg.8f33b6adb5131999307180c171e9dd69.jpg

Decided despite the lack of any photo evidence that there ought to be brake vans at my end of the pier. Makes a certain sense as we've got chains of loaded wagons rolling around. I made this ex SER 6 wheel number out of a generic Grafar brake van by chopping bits off and sticking bits on and repainting it. Fairly crude but it'll do whilst I very slowly make a Cambrian kit. And it's cheaper than the very nice but pricey Dapol offering coming soon. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, the first cross channel ferry has arrived at Folkestone. It's TS Biarritz, entre deux guerres. She was commandeered in both wars. My painting is half finished, I ran out of blue as you can see and her aft needs improving (but then, look who's talking). 

Here we see what I can proudly say is a 100% prototypical scene of someone's fancy Jag being loaded out of a utility van and put on a cradle to be hoisted aboard the ship. I copied this from a snatch of period film footage I found on YouTube. 

Also, some huddled masses! For the crowd of passengers I've used Slater's styrene figures rather than the nicer but pricier Monty's I used for station staff. There need to be at least twice as many passengers to really make it work, but for now ... 

IMG_20230331_140039_321.jpg

IMG_20230331_140124_497.jpg

A broad view of the ship, and also something I picked up from Alexandra Palace. I suspect I've probably got not quite the right Pullman car but for eight quid and all the fun of changing the name from Ursula to Zena (my researches suggest that's the right beast) I'm quite chuffed. 

IMG_20230331_140241_923.jpg

IMG_20230318_144338_176.jpg

• Like 1