Piko Switched Turnout Challenges

Edervarg

Hi, I am using Piko HO Tracks for my layout I have 8 turnouts all connected to my Z21 with Piko 55271 electric switches.  Most turnouts work fine without a problem.  But 3 particular turnouts give me an intermittent bug when switching.  Sometimes when switching the closure rails seem to bounce and then stay in the middle causing a derailment.  It doesn’t happen all the time, probably 1 in 8.  Also seems more prevalent when the turnout has been in a single state (so not switched) for a while.  The specific turnouts are a 55220, 55221 and a 55223.

Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Nick 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Edervarg said:

Hi, I am using Piko HO Tracks for my layout I have 8 turnouts all connected to my Z21 with Piko 55271 electric switches.  Most turnouts work fine without a problem.  But 3 particular turnouts give me an intermittent bug when switching.  Sometimes when switching the closure rails seem to bounce and then stay in the middle causing a derailment.  It doesn’t happen all the time, probably 1 in 8.  Also seems more prevalent when the turnout has been in a single state (so not switched) for a while.  The specific turnouts are a 55220, 55221 and a 55223.

Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Nick 

Not familiar at all with Piko products, but generally the points not throwing correctly problem, relates to misalignment somewhere. If you operate by hand, is there any stiffness at all?

So I am using a  digikeijs DR4018 decoder, I have checked the setup and al seems correct.  5 out of 8 turnouts are working fine.  Its just 3 that are causing problems.  I have cheeped for manual stiffness and manually it seems fine.  It looks like when it screws up the solenoid just doesn't throw far enough.

The motors you are using are not very strong and any resistance to movement will cause them to stick. I suggest that ensuring that the tie bar is not being fouled and operating freely and also that the motor operates without obstruction are the aspects to look at now.

also, ensure that the wires supplying power to the DR4018 are heavy enough and the same applies to the wires from the DR4018 to the motors - especially if these motors are far away from dR4018. It may also be worth using a separate power supply for the DR4018 as your DCC Controller may not have enough power to drive the unit effectively 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you to all for input.

I am continuing with this challenge.  I have upgraded all wiring.  I have carried out multiple comprehensive tests of different switches, different turnouts, different wiring and found that there are different versions; SM1.0, SM2.0, SM2.1 and SM2.2 on the bottom of the Piko electric switches.  See Pic.  All the 2.2 that I have work fine no problem, SM1.0 nearly all fail at least 1 in 20 switch commands, SM2.0 and 2.1 most are ok with 1 or two faults.   Problem is most of the electric switches provided by my local dealer are SM1.0 - I have 10 of them.  I have reached out to the Piko DE "hotline" email address and after 3 weeks (not really a hotline) and multiple emails asking for advice or assistance I got a single line response to "talk to my local dealer".  I am in Singapore - the local dealer has provided no help or refund.

So my question to all is how can I find other Piko HO track users to see if anyone is encountering similar problems.

IMG_1363.jpeg

Edited by Edervarg