Model Rail #279 October 2020

grahame

The latest issue arrived this morning. The cover and contents are pictured below. Interesting to note is that it turned up in new packaging - gone is the see-through plastic wrap, now replaced with a white opaque envelope that is claimed to be widely re-cycled. 

DSC00426.JPG.5453bb2bb61f115ecc84bae989719de5.JPG

DSC00427.JPG.3b04486879e36d5d659d0068bc1cc85e.JPG

On 28/09/2020 at 11:15, grahame said:

The latest issue arrived this morning. The cover and contents are pictured below. Interesting to note is that it turned up in new packaging - gone is the see-through plastic wrap, now replaced with a white opaque envelope that is claimed to be widely re-cycled. 

Which was ripped to shreds. Hope it's just a temporary measure and they return to the plastic packaging ASAP.

Magazine was fine but some of the bumf that you get was hanging out the packaging. I don't know whether any was lost in transit.

But this was a dry day. What's it going to be like in wet weather?

Jason

No problem with the re-cyclable packaging used for my magazine. I guess that there will always be a few that get damaged packaging regardless of the materials used. And overall it's probably best to go with the most environmentally friendly option.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The digital issue isn't out yet, by far the most environmentally friendly way of getting any magazine or newspaper.

Maybe, although, of course, you haven't actually got it yet, while others have had the paper version for some days. And there are a whole host of reasons, preferences and arguments as to which is most appropriate for certain people, but probably best not to open up that can of worms discussion again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, sir douglas said:

on the front cover photo, i dont want to be negative but my eyes keep getting drawn to the mould lines on the buffers on an otherwise brilliantly weathered model

Look like it went Rallying to me TBH. Tad too overcooked.

Glad to see the Environmental packing now, Good Riddance to the plastic

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

42 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Look like it went Rallying to me TBH. Tad too overcooked.

Glad to see the Environmental packing now, Good Riddance to the plastic

Agreed. My mantra is that if you don’t notice the weathering on a loco then it is probably about right. There are exceptions and I know steam locos especially in winter seem to be a magnet for muck but most locos I can remember were just a bit grubby. 

• Like 2

It hasn't arrived on Readly yet. I must say I do quite like Model Rail even though I would say it was aimed more at beginners to the hobby rather than gnarly old bu&&ers like me. Probably the best  photos in any of the magazines. I say that with due respect to the other magazine photographers who are all very, very good; I just think Chris is just a tad above the others. 

• Like 1

If it is the same plastic as Railway Modeller are using, then it can be composted(biodegrable), but it should not be mixed with recycling. The old style plastic packaging can be recycled(as can most plastic), or reused for modelling(glazing) .

• RMweb Premium

Bought a copy today in Morrisons in Kendal, where I have two hours parked up between trips.  Excellent magazine.  I’ve bought most recent issues, probably time to take out a subscription, trying to decide between paper and digital.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had a problem with their subscription copy of Model Rail.

My November issue, publication date 28th October has never arrived. I did contact them and a replacement copy was being sent. (Postman has just been, neither received yet). The October copy also arrived 10 days after publication date, and I had reported its non arrival and ended up with two copies. I have now received the email advising that the December copy is on its way, publication date Thursday next week. When will that arrive ?

Another DOGA member has had the same trouble and when he spoke to Model Rail in the last two days, they said that they had had so many many people complaining of non delivery particularly in the London and South East area, that they had now run out of spare copies and that they would extend his subscription by one month.

I believe that some of the hold up is due to a massive backlog at the central distribution depot in Croydon.

Does anybody have any further info.

Many thanks

Ray

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2020 at 12:57, Chris M said:

It hasn't arrived on Readly yet. I must say I do quite like Model Rail even though I would say it was aimed more at beginners to the hobby rather than gnarly old bu&&ers like me. Probably the best  photos in any of the magazines. I say that with due respect to the other magazine photographers who are all very, very good; I just think Chris is just a tad above the others. 

One of the reasons I like it is that my skill set is not even, in some areas I am a beginner despite years dabbling in the hobby and the tips for that are useful, in other areas a reminder is helpful and even with things you do regulalrly a suggestion about a new innovation or alternative may help. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Has anyone had a problem with their subscription copy of Model Rail.

My November issue, publication date 28th October has never arrived. I did contact them and a replacement copy was being sent. (Postman has just been, neither received yet). The October copy also arrived 10 days after publication date, and I had reported its non arrival and ended up with two copies. I have now received the email advising that the December copy is on its way, publication date Thursday next week. When will that arrive ?

Another DOGA member has had the same trouble and when he spoke to Model Rail in the last two days, they said that they had had so many many people complaining of non delivery particularly in the London and South East area, that they had now run out of spare copies and that they would extend his subscription by one month.

I believe that some of the hold up is due to a massive backlog at the central distribution depot in Croydon.

Does anybody have any further info.

Many thanks

Ray

I know the feeling well , I used to have hard copy subscription but decided against continuing it because of non arrival of the magazine by Snail(Royal) Mail. Solution digital subscription never miss a copy and it arrives on the due date. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, johnd said:

I know the feeling well , I used to have hard copy subscription but decided against continuing it because of non arrival of the magazine by Snail(Royal) Mail. Solution digital subscription never miss a copy and it arrives on the due date. 

I also do the digital edition and very good it is too. Like an earlier poster I like the basics articles because I haven't tried a good many of those techniques and they expand my knowledge of the hobby. 

• Like 1

I've not had any delivery problems apart from the last issue (November) which was over a week later than usual - perhaps due to the suggested Croydon backlog as it's not too far from here.

I've received the "it's on its way" email for the December issue and expect to have it delivered early next week. I'll wait and see if there is a distribution/delivery problem.

I understand that Richard is moving on as editor soon. Has anybody heard further details, such as who will be his replacement?

41 minutes ago, Gordon Connell said:

No problems here. The only time I ever had trouble was when they stopped using Royal Mail.

Gordon

Who do they use now as I believe all final door step delivery of mail is still in the hands of Royal(snail) Mail.

Just now, johnd said:

Who do they use now as I believe all final door step delivery of mail is still in the hands of Royal(snail) Mail.

Sorry, I was trying to get across that they do still use Royal Mail. A few years back my magazine was delivered by another service, I can't remember who and I think I might have been in a trial area. Lost two mags in 3 months. I asked to be switched back to Royal Mail, which they did.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, grahame said:

Has anybody heard further details, such as who will be his replacement?

Yes, George Dent. He confirmed his appointment in an Instagram post.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, grahame said:

I've not had any delivery problems apart from the last issue (November) which was over a week later than usual - perhaps due to the suggested Croydon backlog as it's not too far from here.

I've received the "it's on its way" email for the December issue and expect to have it delivered early next week. I'll wait and see if there is a distribution/delivery problem.

I understand that Richard is moving on as editor soon. Has anybody heard further details, such as who will be his replacement?

The change of Editor is announced in the December issue. Richard continues to work within the model railway hobby. (CJL)

Model Rail issue 281 December 2020 arrived this morning, so no delays in distribution or the post. And the RM postie pushed it through my letter box along with the NGS Journal and 2mm SA magazine.