Dapol 00 Terriers - do Zimo small sound decoders fit?

Guardian

Dear All

Has anybody already installed in a sound decoder into the Dapol Terrier? As I prefer Zimo, does any body know if an MX658 matches, or if the small MX659 needs to be installed?

Btw, some pics showing the chassis after having unmounted the body of SR no. 2644

39502372oe.jpg

39502373mb.jpg

Dapol SR Terrier no. 2644.

As you may see, the space inside is a bit tight, the NEXT18 plug is very thin, and even the smallest NEXT18 Decoders provide for a height of 4 mm.

Thank you.

Mark

Edited by Guardian

• 1 month later...

Sound for the Terrier

As the Dapol models are fitted with a NEXT18 plug and a speaker, I assumed the sound fitting should be plug n’ play – unfortunately, I was wrong.

The mounted speaker - a 10x15 mm without any enclosure – was not properly glued in and was not fixed properly. As a result of the improper mounting by using a twin-sided adhesive tape, the diaphragm of the speaker has been damaged.

I have made some fitting attempts with the result that a  10x15 mm speaker with the smallest enclosure – 2 mm – does not fit in the tank. Probably that is why the manufacturer has mounted the speaker without enclosure, using the inner wall of the tank as enclosure.

Finally, I determined that an  8x12 mm speaker fitted with a 2 mm enclosure fits to the top front corner of the tank - and the sound is quite good regarding the small dimensions.

I did not install a stay-alive as this would have to be fitted into the cab.

When fitting decoder and new speaker, the following needs to be observed:

·         Insulation of the inner side of the tank next to the decoder! The decoder is higher than the plug-in and thus, may touch the (metal) body;

·         Insulation of the metal parts of the speaker versus the tank to prevent a short circuit;

·         First mount speaker and enclosure, then solder connectors and finally, mount the speaker-enclosure unit into the tank. Please check exact position before!

39899677dr.jpg

Chassis with decoder and speaker unit. The 8x12 mm speaker and enclosure are distributed by Doehler & Haass.

39899679yu.jpg

Insulation inside the right tank – insulates decoder from the body.

39899680ey.jpg

Insulation inside left tank – insulates speaker from body.

39899681wr.jpg

Position of the speaker unit inside left tank.

I have mounted a Zimo MX658N18 with a YouChoos sound. The decoder controls the motor softly after few CV changes (see below). The sound project is up-to-date -  no blast sound when decelerating, coal shoveling sound and fire box lighting are synchronised and the project provides for light engine and standard engine chuffs. As I chose the immersive drive version, F2 is set as Active Brake key.

I changed the following CVs:

CV2=1

CV3=20

CV4=100

CV5=200

CV6=127

CV9=55

(CV29=38)

CV56=55

CV57=90

Sound:

CV266=85 (total volume)

CV550=240 (announcement - was very quite at default)

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Guardian