Northing Town, Northing St. Johns TMD

WhiteRose158

Hello all,

I'll be moving back to the UK at the end of next month after a few years away and can get back to making progress on one of my two layouts. This one has been under construction for several years (with little done for the last 5) and will likely be the first one I've actually completed following a couple of poorly-planned efforts in my late teens. I'm aware of several mistakes I've already committed with this one too and some imperfections I might struggle to smooth out, but I'll do my best with those once I get back and refresh my memory. I can immediately say, however, that the signal box will be replaced as I think it looks a bit cheap. I quite like the abandoned signal box made by (I think) Bachmann.

In the meantime I thought I'd share a few pictures of where it's up to and would really welcome any suggestions, tips or comments to help me on my way. I'm sure I'll have questions over the coming year and must say that I really appreciate the huge resource that RMWeb is from previous experience (my last account, which had updates from this layout on, was the victim of a forgotten password and long-banished associated e-mail account). The pictures show the layout in various time periods and stages of progress but I will update the thread with pictures of the layout in its current form when I return back and give it a quick tidy.

The layout is Northern-based from the late 80s to present day. It's DCC and doesn't have a suitable fiddle yard yet, which was the result of poor planning and has affected my other layout (see here).

IMG_20140812_175945.jpg  IMG_20140811_163622.jpg  

IMG_20140807_123755.jpg  IMG_20140812_180259.jpg

IMG_20140811_163709.jpg  IMG_20140811_163635.jpg

100_2252.JPG

Edited by WhiteRose158
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Having had the longest run at the layout in several years I've done some much needed tidying and organising of the wiring (on one of the two boards so far). The rush job I did before is no way to have a layout wired up so hopefully the improvements I've made will stand things in good stead.

The pictures below are before and after shots, although I'm waiting for some blue wire to arrive that need to run from the control panel on this board to the point motors on the second board. These will be added shortly. The only damage done is a blown buffer stop light when I forgot to include the resistor in the circuit, a loose dropper wire to the fiddle track and a loose piece of fencing. Not bad for someone known for the odd clumsy incident or three.

IMG_20201122_142401.jpg    IMG_20201129_160049.jpg

Edited by WhiteRose158

• WhiteRose158 changed the title to Northing Town, Northing St. Johns TMD

Having more or less sorted the electrics on board 1, I've taken a few pictures of the layout as it is at the moment in order to make final decisions on the scenery side. I'm looking for some suggestions/opinions on a few points in bold  below if anyone has any to share :) 

• The building under which the lines disappear will be a shopping centre, complete with company logos and a few other bits and pieces. In the first picture, the gap that currently exists in the wall beyong the TMD will be filled in once I get some more plasticard. At current, I'm not sure if I'm happy with the buildings pasted onto the backscene behind the buffer stops. I think they look a bit faded and outdated. In the station area I also think they make things look a bit flat, particularly alongside the flat factory/warehouse buildings that I've put together. I'd really like to hear any opinions about that.

1606819455365.jpg

• In the second and third pictures the exposed wood will also form part of the shopping centre, blending in with the rest of it as it bends round towards the TMD. Another reservation I have is about the shops on the bridge. The bricking is different to that of the shopping centre and, whilst it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the centre could have been built around and incorporated the existing old buildings, I can't decide whether the shops will just look 'plonked on' as it were. Again, any opinions are welcome.

1606819455387.jpg.2b8cbcea261a9fe97f6a280230fcabe9.jpg    1606819455399.jpg

• Finally, in picture 4 you can see the grey, paved area between the station approach and fuelling point. Originally this was going to be a used car dealership or scrap yard of some kind, but other offers of inspiration would be welcome. For the grey area at the far end next to the station, I don't know if I'm keen on the office building that's currently there and have been toying with the idea of either a bus station to link with the railway station, or a supermarket (e.g. the Aldi supermarket available from Faller, I think it is). 

1606819455417.jpg

There are a few things that I'm going to redo or take out as the rushed way in which I did a lot of this in the past hasn't left me all that satisfied. Any suggestions would be most welcome in respect to any part of the layout :)

Edited by WhiteRose158