Reversing a steam locomotive

NorthEndCab

Using the reverser to hold back a traction engine on a long steep downhill can cause the cylinders to become so hot that the oil starts to smoke and the packings can be damaged.  To reduce this one opens the drain cocks periodically but, of course, the braking effect is reduced as a result.  If you have a decent handbrake this should be screwed down before starting the descent possibly at the same time as you change into 'low cog'.  In extreme cases where the steepness of the descent is likely to uncover the firebox crown it may be necessary to reverse down the hill!  Happy days!

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

The first loco on the 15" gauge Perrygrove Railway (see my avatar) was built by the Stirland Family (Exmoor Steam Railway) and they are from a road engine background where, as explained above, most braking is done with the reverser, at least on slide valve engines. The Stirlands couldn't see anything wrong with using the reverser to retard their slide valve loco on our 1 in 30ish gradients, and it was going to save a lot of brake block replacements, so I did this (always with the drain cocks open) for 18 years until I retired. One of the first operational changes the new management made was to abolish the practice, and I don't disagree with this. I was always told that the reasons real railways don't retard with the reverser is that it can suck in abrasive grit from the smokebox, cause overheating and excessive motion wear, and run the risk of blowing a cylinder cover off. I never had any of those problems but I do accept it was a very un-railwaylike thing to do. I never did it with piston valve locos.

Edited by Michael Crofts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 28/09/2020 at 15:08, NorthEndCab said:

I was watching Burt Lancaster’s 1964 film “The Train,” the other night, and noticed in this scene where the light loco is being pursued by a spitfire,  that he appears to throw it into reverse once reaching the safety of a tunnel.

Now, I’m aware that films take massive liberties with reality and this wouldn’t happen in real life, and even if it did I doubt it would have much more effect than just braking, but I was wondering, is it technically possible to throw a steam loco into reverse whilst travelling at speed without seriously bending something?

Many thanks

The full film is now showing on BBC iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000f1v9/the-train

:senile: