Cavalex Models new CDA wagon (4mm scale)

Grimleygrid

6 minutes ago, classy52 said:

So KMS & Trains4U are atm only doing one running number each for the DB variant which may change to more if the demand exists?

Why don't you both sell one unnumbered instead of just one with a number and leave everyone to buy as much as they like so they can then apply their own running numbers post sale, or would that not work?...just spit balling.

Experience tells me that 99% of customers don't want to be applying transfers and renumbering, and those who are prepared/capable of renumbering would do so anyway, irrespective of whether it is numbered or not.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

They do look good, very good...

BUT

(there is always a but) is there no unlabelled or EWS options ?

They ran about like that for as long as the two other options put together.

We need to give ourselves options for the next run!

There is quite a bit of variety with the CDA in terms of liveries and more versions will be released in time.  If the first batch proves popular, a second will follow fairly soon afterwards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

We need to give ourselves options for the next run!

There is quite a bit of variety with the CDA in terms of liveries and more versions will be released in time.  If the first batch proves popular, a second will follow fairly soon afterwards.

Sounds like a sensible plan for going forward to me :)

and of course my particular interest in CDA is late 90s to 2012 when I used to see and hear them mostly every day (to the point where I didn't really notice them, as is the way!)

On 25/10/2020 at 20:42, Grimleygrid said:

A brief update on our CDA wagon project which is also in tooling alongside our HAA hopper wagon. Here are a couple of livery images of the English China Clays Ltd livery which will no doubt prove to be a popular choice for modellers.

1048046763_CDAFINAL.png.19d5a701a30d19316b756002738134bc.png.3ce5aa2a11de384729f980968714ccd8.png

lagfmlaoolkobnpl.png.99cf192ebabc96420cd8ab6599fd49f4.png

1654313941_CDAECC-WebSm.png.7b195205b9b031ac5e7f1f37e677d529.png

Keep an eye out for more updates on the other versions of our CDA plus how these wagons can be pre-ordered.

I’ve only just clocked this.

Excellent news - well done.

These look so good. I will definitely be pre ordering the 4 lots of 2,  Was hoping for more than 8 different ECC wagons but like mentioned, if popular, another batch will come fairly soon after, so I can achieve a 15/16 rake. Good luck with these guys.
Edit: CDA’s Pre Ordered

Edited by 66738

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Haven't expectations changed. We have long had to put up with one or two numbers for a wagon each year, now that is not enough. The likes of Cavalex and  Accurascale really have been game changers.

Roy

Definitely. If it was Bachmann for example we would only be expecting one number.

In fairness though I believe Dapol were doing lots of running numbers before either of the two you mentioned existed. I believe when the next batch of HIAs comes in they will have done about 30?

We’re very excited to see these!

Just to make things clear:

For ALL the HAAs and CDAs (and any variants!) we will have different running numbers to Trains4U. We will both produce the same quantity of wagons (except blue cradle HAA)  That means, for example, with our two double packs of the CDA, along with Trains4U’s two packs, you’ll be able to purchase 8 different running numbers of ECC livery. 

With the product codes, “K” is for KMS while “T” is for T4U. The following number in brackets is a sequential number such as (2). 
xxx K(2) is the same livery as xxx T(2) but running numbers are different. 

Additionally, production quantities are set. For the HAAs as an example, some packs are already close to selling out so if you’d like the full range of running numbers from us and Trains4U, we really suggest pre ordering as soon as possible. It costs you nothing to pre order but it may save you being disappointed!

As mentioned, we may look to do more packs if the demand is there but these would be additional sequential packs, not more of previously announced ones. (I.e. even more running number choices :-) )

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2020 at 11:21, TomScrut said:

Definitely. If it was Bachmann for example we would only be expecting one number.

In fairness though I believe Dapol were doing lots of running numbers before either of the two you mentioned existed. I believe when the next batch of HIAs comes in they will have done about 30?

If we really want to be pedantic, back in 1990 Hornby did 3 different numbers of 9f... 92207, 92221 and 92231

The thing was they all has the same catalog number, R330, and shipped to retailers at random, so it was pot luck what was in the box... if you ordered 3x 9fs you could get any possible combination including 3 identical, 2 of 1 or 1 of each.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Probably should have already posted this by now, but I’ve finally gotten around to making a start on my initial rake of 7 CDA.  6 of which have been converted from the ECC release to the 1990s livery of unbranded ECC with a grey panel with a blue border where the ECC logo was originally located.  I have also modified the DB release to get one of the first EWS wagons, repainting the roof blue, removing the DB logos and adding the grey rectangle.

0D53D90D-C552-44EF-91AB-2444C61569EA.jpeg.2558366838d163813bb0f56f7dfcc9a7.jpeg73FECE9D-412C-4842-A85C-4F2ED70D263D.jpeg.d9bd9140f4c9cf2ea205cf5022306721.jpeg

Work has now started on the weathering, would welcome any feedback as to how it can be improved, particularly the good.

DA46B595-73BE-49F3-9877-D36648AFED2A.jpeg.2ae3bee0cd8267a710599b3557c6274a.jpeg106E1D4B-FBDA-41A9-A64E-F3A5B2D73AE0.jpeg.83dc0c3343f03c1eddb436d04ebab443.jpeg

I have to say I am really impressed with the model, it is certainly the best representation of the hood of the three available models, which to me makes it more than worth the extra cost over its rival.  Really hope that there will be future batches in more liveries (particularly the 1990s unbranded version) as I can see myself wanting a longer rake for  future layouts…

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

The last of our CDAs are with us and are now on our website.

DSCF7744.jpeg.eef51e3b0885e3314e822092d2a99e52.jpeg

We have three ECC twin packs and one DB twin pack available priced at £64.95 per pack.

the ECC wagons have running numbers exclusive to Trains4U.

stocks are limited

we have less than 12% of our ECC pack 2 and only six DB packs remaining, so be quick!

http://www.trains4u.com/c/907/CDA-Wagons

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Something a little different from the Cavalex model, prototype CDA 353224.  The key differences include the end ladders, HAA brake gear locations and the body is the opposite way round to the production series.   Originally it had the same buffers as a HAA but these were swapped for self contained buffers by 1999.

IMG_7630.jpeg.6c1711597c473a1341995b0876334336.jpegIMG_7629.jpeg.60b97588cf04a321ff7f691d1cb9daf2.jpegIMG_7628.jpeg.a7e67adbab56eba40e51b99edfb5bd8b.jpegIMG_7627.jpeg.7789dd1a14c05df3a41e8e1c8d1058d3.jpeg

the model still needs a set of numbers / St Blazey logos adding before it can be weathered.

The real wagon is quite interesting, 

At the time of its conversion from a coal HAA it had a different end arrangement (with plates added between the end supports), along with the slots in the side and the ladder fitted at each end.  The roof was always ECC blue but the frame was red.  
Very early on the wagon was modified with new end vents to the design used on the production series wagons (with the same orientation), keeping its red frame.  

it then becomes a lot less clear until 1997, at some point in the late 80s it must have gained a repaint into ECC blue on the frames along with gaining the large bodyside logos.   In a 1997 photo it had gained self contained buffers and of course lost the ecc logos leaving the usual grey rectangle with blue border as any other CDA from the period.  By mid 2000 it had visited Ponts Mill for refurbishment, gaining EWS red frames and roof (implying it was a fairly late refurb).   Eventually gaining full EWS branding, before spending quite a while dumped at St Blazey before it’s preservation and repaint back into its original red.

• Like 4