Connecting droppers to the wire bus.

• RMweb Premium

I am wiring my layout and have several dropper to connect to the bus which is in the centre (underneath) the boards in the traditional way. I have always used the crimp style coonectors to join everything to the bus in the past, but I do find them cumbersome. Could anyone suggest other types of joiners that could be used instead that are not too cumbersome and easily connect the droppers to the bus..

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

I like these Wago connectors, they come in various different sizes (ie numbers of wires capacity) and are readily available from screwfix or Amazon, to name but two. The wires simply clip into place by the orange triggers, and these connectors can be reused and opened/closed many times. They also can take wires of multiple sizes.

image.jpeg.69df2513ffa494941bdc9af9fe2b0a53.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is your bus wire insulated or bare?

I use bare copper wire for the bus wire and just solder dropper wires directly to it - strip off a half an inch or so of insulation, wrap it round the bus wire and solder. Much cheaper.

The only downside is that should you ever dismantle the layout and cut off the dropper wires, you'll have created some very effective barbed wire as my hands are testament to after dismantling some old boards.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

I use bare copper wire for the bus wire and just solder dropper wires directly to it - strip off a half an inch or so of insulation, wrap it round the bus wire and solder. Much cheaper.

Indeed, but it means you have to go under the baseboard with a hot soldering iron. I have used Scotchlok connectors to connect a thick wire to 5-way Wago connectors, and then the only tool you need under the baseboard is a wire stripper to trim the droppers. The Wago connectors will take 2-3 wires of the same size per port. On my DCC layout, with droppers on every piece of track, I estimate I have in excess of 700 droppers, which I'm glad I didn't have to solder!

• RMweb Gold

I use scotcklok connectors to connect to lateral heavy duty speaker cable which links to flat twin and earth lighting cable i use as the bus.

I never use them on my cars but are fine for model railways 

The speaker cable connects to the bus with chocolate block connectors 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RFS said:

Indeed, but it means you have to go under the baseboard with a hot soldering iron.

And if you do that for heaven's sake consider that you might end up with the odd blob of hot solder falling off - you do not want unprotected eyes under that!

Shameless self promotion 

you could build my dcc dropper boards, Optional dcc indicator led supported 

£3.50 each plus P&P ( not commercial , just covering costs ) simple to build connectors included etc. 

EAE04DEA-D06E-4718-95A3-52246CABBA01.jpeg

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have plumbed for the Wago connectors and some copper tape which is conductive on both sides. Thank you for your suggestions all very helpfull and welcomed.

Brimal  - main bus wires in/out left/right with droppers A-B along the long edges.

Edit - if using a beeper to check wiring is correct as you go you need to left one leg of the led or resistor as there is enough current flowing to indicate a fault on the buzzer.

DB7154FD-7352-475A-AE0C-8AF8D754F1A8.jpeg

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 1