Hornby P2 - Upgrading to TTS Sound

Lichfeldian

I have the middle grade Hornby P2 - fully lined but without DCC fitted. As Hornby now produce a separate TTS sound chip for this loco, is it a straightforward fit please? The fitting instructions in the instruction sheet show a location for a DCC sound chip in the tender and an ordinary chip in the loco, but presumably these are either/or?. However, I know the DCC fitted version has a wired plug and socket between the loco and the tender which mine doesn't have, so does that mean the DCC ready and DCC fitted are wired differently? Regards and thanks.

Hi, by the sound of things the dcc socket will be in the loco so your tts chip needs to go here for a simple fit. Avoid the heartache of trying to get the big Hornby speaker to fit in the loco by either locating it in the tender on extended wires or simplest is to get a better small speaker that will fit in the loco. There are loads available and they make a huge difference over the standard speaker offering. I use Roads And Rails for mine  no connection other than as a satisfied customer. Good luck

Chris

Whip the top off the tender and look to see if it has the socket in there, if it will have a mount for the standard speaker.

If not the socket will be in the loco and you either need to find room for a smaller speaker or remove the speaker and extend the wires into the tender, then reattach. Plug and socket optional.