Modern Image short freight trains

Some of the EWS/DBS Enterprise/Wagonload services can be pretty short, I know the feeder to Bletchley cement works is generally 4 orange PCAs. Some of the engineers workings can be quite short too - I saw a photo of an EWS 66 with a single IOA box on the Newport - Westbury recently. The Swindon steel can also be short, some days only 4 or 5 wagons, though it depends on demand, as it can run to more than 10!

cheers

jo

The only regular freight train in these parts, the fuel tanks to Penzance Long Rock depot, is often no more than a 66 and six TTAs. There's a pic of the train here

The DRS-operated Sellafield - Runcorn Folly Lane acid tanks was regularly formed of just two bogie tanks, and was often double headed.

I've also found that EWS Doncaster - Immingham and Toton - Bescot Enterprise workings produced inspiring formations from a modeller's point of view. Both were generally very short trains with a good mix of wagon types and in the late 90s/early 2000s virtually anything could appear up front.

MOD workings again can be short at times - shot a nice Shoeburyness-Wembley back in February which was formed OCA-VGA-OCA - pretty sure i've seen shots where the Wentloog one has been formed with just 4x 60' container flats as well.

There's a regular (once a week or maybe more) container train (sorry, don't know these modern acronyms) that comes through Shrewsbury from the north (not sure where) and goes east to (I think) the railfreight terminal near Telford, then comes back a few hours later. Nearly always 4 or 5 container flats (though I have seen 3) , usually with a 66, but with 67005 this week.

• RMweb Gold

There's a regular (once a week or maybe more) container train (sorry, don't know these modern acronyms) that comes through Shrewsbury from the north (not sure where) and goes east to (I think) the railfreight terminal near Telford, then comes back a few hours later. Nearly always 4 or 5 container flats (though I have seen 3) , usually with a 66, but with 67005 this week.

Donnington (Telford) - from Warrington Arpley.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - I'd often wondered where it came from/went to. Why Warrington? Is there a depot/yard there for marshalling and onward distribution?

Sure is.

40044 might be able to give some more info when he sees this.

A couple of workings I didn't think of earlier, and have managed to dig out photos of:

post-6899-127499654887_thumb.jpg

Maintenance trip working from Barton Hill to Avonmouth Bulk Handling Terminal. The wagons go to Barton Hill for repairs 21/7/09

post-6899-127499666433_thumb.jpg

47727 with 6Z48 Burton - Dollands Moor empty steel. This working could vary in length between 4 and 20 or so wagons, with a single or pair of 47s as needed 27/8/09

Both very modellable workings!

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

6K05 Carlisle-Crewe infrastructure train is often a fairly large consist, but has on odd ocassions run with very short formations. Class 66 and 1x YQA "Parr", also 66 plus 1 x JNA "Falcon" are examples that I've seen.

Cheers,

Mick

The first train I worked as a secondman on BR was a parcels train from rugby to Crewe. A class AL3 (83 in new money) and a SR 4 wheel utility van.

With 3 men on the loco and 3300hp, it's easy to see why parcels traffic was a bit uneconomic.

Hi

From last July (2009) until this January/February, Toton depot had it's fuel tripped once a week (as required) from Warrington (originating at Immingham). Sometimes it was combined with the Warrington to Sinfin tanks, but when it wasn't, it was usually 3 or 4 TTA/TUA tanks. The most I saw was 1 TUA and 6 TTA after Toton had accumulated a few weeks worth (worked by 37401 biggrin.gif )

Here's a photo photo of 66078 on 16/7/09 with the first return working, at Stenson Junction.

660786F09160709Small.jpg

And for those interested in wagons, note that each of the three tanks is a different type (700xx series TUA, TTA, 701xx TUA)

Andrew

Not good shots due to the low sun/shooting towards it-ish, but the MOD workings are usually quite short. This working unusually had the container flats as the barrier replacing the usual OCA's. Quite a nice little proj to model one of these.

1032024500_d6bfaa315c.jpg

1032024354_668a680f27.jpg

Hi

There are plenty in Scotland

Grangemouth to Fort-William oil tanks (West Highlind line)

class 66 or 67

Grangemouth to Lairg oil tanks (Far North line)

this often has a load of 4 or 5 tanks and still sometimes has class 37 haulage

Mossend to Glendouglas MOD

often 3 or 4 VGA/VKA vans again class 37's appear from time to time

Coatbridge to Inverness (Highland Mainline)

A class 66 DRS train which usually has two container flats the type Bachmann produce

Mossend to Mallaig or Oban line (West Highland Line)

Autoballasters 5 wagons these trains HAVE to run with class 37's as class 66/67's are banned

because RA is too high

ANY engineers or ballast train can be a short train 3 or 4 wagons i hope all this helps

and shows that short trains do still run in the UK and sometimes with heritage traction :D

In addtion any MOD or fuel train can be a short train i think fuel for depots still run to Toton and

Long Rock a further train that is usefull if you have type 5's was Merehead (i think) to Acton which

often used a class 59 or 60 on 4 or 5 OBA wagons with blocks of stone.

Hi

Here are some examples of short trains which i run on my layout

class 37 with 2 x JCA Croxton and Garry (R6312)

class 37,60,67 with 5 x TTA tanks (Bachmaan) for oil depot

class 37 or 67 with 1 x VDA 1 x OCA 1 x OBA 2 x VGA MOD train (Bachmaan)

class 37 with 3 x ICA silver bullets (Dapol)

class 37 or 60 with 4 x Tiphook curtainsided wagons (Lima)

class 37 or 67 with 1 x VGA OR VDA and 1 x Intermodal container with Dreamboxes livery (Bachmaan)

class 37 or 60 with 1 x CEA 1 x TTA 1x VGA 1 x VBA 1 x OBA papermill train (Bachmaan)

http://www.scottishlocos.com/nlproj6.jpg

http://www.scottishlocos.com/nlproj5.jpg

http://www.scottishlocos.com/nlproj9.jpg

• 7 years later...

I recollect seeing something about a Peak being sent light engine to Cornwall to pick up a single clay slurry bogie tank for Joseph Crosfields of Warrington. I think it may have been in 'British Railfreight- Today and Tomorrow', by Geoffrey Freeman-Allen, and was intended to illustrate the customer responsiveness of Speedlink. 

• RMweb Premium

I was over in Lincolnshire the other week and looked up to see a 56 heading a fairly short freight,  about 8 wagons possibly steel.

6E07 Washwood Heath- Boston Docks is usually 10 short bogie steel carriers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91929439@N02/35259834821/in/photolist-VvRYpE-UtG88o-Uy6j27-VaSNmJ-VLrYAU-VfytEa-VbiWxQ-Vje8CC-VHMSsz-W3wSuD

Cheers,

Mick

I recollect seeing something about a Peak being sent light engine to Cornwall to pick up a single clay slurry bogie tank for Joseph Crosfields of Warrington. I think it may have been in 'British Railfreight- Today and Tomorrow', by Geoffrey Freeman-Allen, and was intended to illustrate the customer responsiveness of Speedlink.

There's a photo of it in John Vaughan's 'An Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains'. Apparently a load of clay slurry was needed at short notice so a single wagon was dispached

Archived