Mk1 BG Generator Vehicle

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m looking to do a bit of bodgery by converting either a Bachmann or Hornby BG into a generator vehicle, Riviera Trains 6311.  Can anyone give me any sensible suggestions or pointers as to where to start.  I’m thinking of using a Bachmann model as I think it’s got the edge over the Hornby one though after I’ve finished with it, the jury could well be out ;)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

If you are going to do a lot of cutting and shutting, how about using the Replica BG as it is nicely detailed and quite inexpensive.

You could add flush glazing from SE Finecast or Shawplan.

Cheers

Darius

Hi Darius,

It’s certainly a contender but I don’t think there’s going to be much in the way of cutting and shutting.  It will be mainly filling in windows, cutting out and fitting a roller door on one side as well as scratch building the fuel tanks.  I need some drawings of those as well as roof details for the access hatch and exhaust for the diesel generator.

• RMweb Premium
On 29/09/2020 at 07:30, Darius43 said:

If you are going to do a lot of cutting and shutting, how about using the Replica BG as it is nicely detailed and quite inexpensive.

You could add flush glazing from SE Finecast or Shawplan.

Cheers

Darius

Replica Glazing

I need one of these too but in blue grey, HST wiring,  and departmental numbering. Just need 2 more TFOs and convert a TRUB to TRSB.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 29/09/2020 at 02:15, jools1959 said:

I’m looking to do a bit of bodgery by converting either a Bachmann or Hornby BG into a generator vehicle, Riviera Trains 6311.  Can anyone give me any sensible suggestions or pointers as to where to start.  I’m thinking of using a Bachmann model as I think it’s got the edge over the Hornby one though after I’ve finished with it, the jury could well be out ;)

I have done a few MK1 cut and shuts etc and although I have never done it on Hornby coaches,  I can recommend Bachmann ones as the sides are removable/ separate from the ends which is great if you are cutting in doors, filling Windows etc. I managed to make a BSO (pre Hornby) splicing sections of sides together and you can't see the joints.

• Like 1

I’ve thought about doing this one too. It was existent in BR blue times and used to pull HST coach sets when no power cars were available.

Id probably go with replica as if I mess it up, it’s £16 ish not £45 down the drain 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Anyone got roof details for these modified BG Generator Vans or photo links....

TIA

Searching flickr with "6260 generator" - or any other generator vehicle will turn up something.

e.g. This is 6261 - not my pic

6261 Bromley South, 01/08/20

This leads to other search links such as reporting numbers - then it's onto youtube for even more research.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Thanks for the photo/suggestions

It's 6311 in Exec livery I'm looking at doing. I have photos of one side of it I took when they worked on the over night sleeper. As usual roof area photos are not very common, it's the position of the exhaust port I was looking for - typically on the opposite side to my photos - but have now found some photos showing the other side of the roof with said port.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

Searching flickr with "6260 generator" - or any other generator vehicle will turn up something.

e.g. This is 6261 - not my pic

6261 Bromley South, 01/08/20

This leads to other search links such as reporting numbers - then it's onto youtube for even more research.

I thought 6311 would have the same arrangement as 6310 which has a removeable hatch, so the generator can be winched in and out.  The only picture I have is a 3/4 shot taken at last years Crewe event which seems to show the same arrangement as 6261.  One thing I did notice was that the gangway doors are sealed up, well, at one end they are.

https://rail-pictures-2009.smugmug.com/Passenger-Coaching-Stock/Mk1-Loco-Hauled-Coaching-Stock-/BG-Generator-Van/6311-Locomotive-Services-Limited-/