November 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

The nights are drawing in and the weather is getting cooler – perhaps it's time to get ourselves inside and start (or finish!) that layout? You might want a little encouragement, advice or inspiration to go with it, too! Our November 2020 issue of BRM (and BRM TV to subscribers) has it covered. 
Inside, we explore the sun, sea and sand of 'St Ives' on the Cornish coast, beautifully modelled in OO gauge. 'Leysdown' in P4 shares the story of how an interwar-era layout has been rejuvinated and 'Blakeney' in O gauge rekindles the forgotten railways in the Forest of Dean.

*** Don't forget, subscribers have exclusive access to BRM TV. This episode features 'St Ives', techniques for better transfer application and wagon weathering. ***

Get your November 2020 issue of BRM, as a digital edition from Thursday, October 1 from www.pocketmgs.com/BRM

Print copies hit shelves from October 8.

LAYOUTS

'St Ives' (OO)

Every day is a visit to the seaside with this exceptional coastal-themed layout, constucted by a returnee modeller...

stives.jpg.4cf1b31596fc8fc52f956e760494dcbc.jpg

'Leysdown' (P4)

Cascading from club to private ownership after a healthy tour of the exhibition circuit, this interwar-era layout has refreshed its envious looks.

leysdown.jpg.2705099369de8bac92c4974445ce8cc6.jpg

'Blakeney' (O)

Re-discovering an interest in the forgotten railways of the Forest of Dean, Alan Davies was upbeat about the challenges faced by his change of scale.

blakeney.jpg.cff65c8fd0de5c80fc7983444d00ce98.jpg

PRACTICAL BRM

Our Practical BRM content this month explores a scratch-built station, weathering a salt wagon, replicating fire, making a bonfire and building bridges!

Building Etwall station

Howard Leader describes the methodical approach used to scratch-build this model of a GNR station and its platform shelter in 4mm:1ft scale, which required 2,397 parts!

etwall.jpg.ecec3d9a96be4f52b86a28afd150cff6.jpg

How to weather a salt wagon

Following the adaptation of the Hornby models, Michael Russell turns his skill to the decoration of these heavily-weathered items of rolling stock.

686829758_bulksalt.jpg.b1beb481197617649fa28d82ec13de2f.jpg

How to replicate fire

Few animations on a layout are as commonplace as fire with its many uses. Howard Smith explores the subtly-varied options available to modellers.

589568209_lighteffects.jpg.e6b4ee6f466fc1269062f0064a242611.jpg

How to create a bonfire

It’s our November issue, and Bonfire Night is soon here. For the arsonists among you, here's how to create a miniature bonfire...

bonfire.jpg.5450bb10178a3f86acd6b08c1f5874c7.jpg

How to build bridges

Sometimes, only a bespoke structure will do the job. Phil Parker takes his time and produces a unique model at low cost.

bridges.jpg.cb70f939d5d2ce464a13ce2482dcbc94.jpg

PRODUCTS AND FEATURES

Plus, ideas for modelling Kings Cross in 'N'...

647002971_KingsCross.jpg.9dd56b0055e7c0d825c7865f17e40306.jpg

Your modelling...

Yourmodelling.jpg.7970093c9ca3284bf07979f7eca77a6b.jpg

The latest products and news and we review Dapol's 'Turbot'...

1544192095_turbotwagon.jpg.072bf9264adcad5fc06e9f605ec62ede.jpg

...Hornby's 'Prairie'...

1373917917_HornbyPrarie.jpg.13fc12ccc619bf44807e9a3b381e5860.jpg

...Bachmann's Class 414 2-HAP...

2HAP.jpg.8ca1f04e2848f5ef073b5c59572622ef.jpg

...and Graham Farish's Mk. 2F coaches

946094552_Mk2Fcoaches.jpg.b2875d6c12038bdf29f60274270f8677.jpg

All this and much more in the November 2020 issue of BRM, available to download as a digital edition from Thursday October 1 from www.pocketmgs.com/BRM.

Print copies will hit shelves from October 8. We hope you enjoy your read as much as we did compiling it!

H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, what a cracking trio of layouts.  

St Ives looks lovely, Leysdown is right up this sheep's street and I've spent many an hour watching it at exhibitions over the years. 

Finally Blakeney. Always a pleasure to see a chums layout in print. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, westerner said:

I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I'm sure it won't Alan, there's some delightful imagery in there from you (which has been incorrectly attributed to me in the layout information). I'd skimmed over the PDF copy and hadn't noticed it but Phil did after I'd been eulogising about your photos.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, JohnR said:

While the digital edition appears to be available via Pocketmags, its not showing on Exact Editions - has there been a glitch?

I think it was just out early on Pocketmags John; it's normally on Friday morning.

• Like 1

• Moderators

And, exclusive to BRM digital and print subscribers, in this episode of BRM TV...

'St Ives', our layout of the month from this issue. Plus, techniques for better transfer application and wagon weathering on our exclusive 16T mineral wagon subscription gift...

See our latest BRM subscription deals below...

16887836_subswagon.jpg.345ca39cd19529d44eed25fd7f0a1cd9.jpg

Get three of issues BRM for £5 and a OO gauge Dapol 16T mineral wagon in BR grey, click here*

265685506_MCVwagon.jpg.a0e05bfbf9450e74d8417f1837ef862f.jpg

Get three of issues BRM for £5 and a OO gauge Dapol 16T mineral wagon in BR bauxite, click here*

21T.jpg.68b4824b3c3ee28168506cb7478e0dfa.jpg

Get three of issues BRM for £5 and an N gauge Dapol 21T mineral wagon in BR grey, click here*

*After three issues, direct debit will change to £12.49 a quarter.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a first quick flick through the Pocketmags edition this evening: a stunning issue of the magazine!  Certainly one I’ll be pouring over page by page.  Inspirational at every level, from St Ives to Kings Cross (literally): thank you to all.  Keith.

• Thanks 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, beejack said:

I can see the November issue on exact editions but the usual click here for BRMTV is missing at the moment.

Hi Brian,

This should now be fixed, we hope you enjoy the episode!

Thanks,

H

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Howard Smith said:

Hi Brian,

This should now be fixed, we hope you enjoy the episode!

Thanks,

H

Thanks Howard 

I can now click in the link.

Brian

Edited by beejack
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had to have a Laydown when I came across Adrian Colenutt`s  Leysdown article as I hav`nt seen Adrian or the layout in 20 years.

Adrian kindly bought three of my P4  loco`s probably 15 years ago one of which is in the article `Terrier No 644` that I built in 1997-8.

Looks like it has had a new chassis  but still has the wonky `E` in Southern.......

my17-003.jpg.5e863064f4c5afbbb3b685ec5ad0f481.jpg

..... in the good old days of good eyesight.....................

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 02/10/2020 at 23:17, redspecial said:

Once covid is over, will you be returning to dvds on the cover again, this was one of my main reasons for subscribing the last decade or so. . The email links I get are hit and miss and really missing the convenience of a disc. :(

Once Covid is over, we'll need to reassess the situation – too many variables at this stage. Either way, you shouldn't be having hit and miss email links, so if there are any problems receiving the links at present, please email us at brm@warnersgroup.co.uk and we'll look to see if there's a problem.

H

Thanks Howard, I emailed Carly earlier this year and seem to get most of them now. Carly sent me a couple of missing links and now I only appear to have missed brm tv  october 2020. Got the November link fine :) I have emailed again for the October link after checking my spam. 

• Like 1

Re Blakeney: For those of you who have read the article in BRM I must apologise for not spotting the mistake in the track plan when I was sent the proofs. There is no crossover at the fiddleyard end of the layout, as I wrote in the article the the sector plate acts as the crossover at that end of the station. Anyway to those who have read it I hope you enjoyed it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Another superb issue guys.  Best one on the shelfs this month by far.  Really enjoyed Andy's take on a Kings Cross throat and also Phil's look at Bridge Building.   Always wanted to have a go at that particular view of a railway line and remember many a time going up that side road whilst going to work up the Bristol Road by bike.   When the building trade went tits up during the early nineties I could only find work as a security guard for a while.  I used to do the weekend shift on a car sales site the other side of the bridge on the left hand side.  I can't remember what it was called, but they used to sell second hand Jaguars and the like.  They were having trouble from drunk students at the time!    

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PaternosterRow said:

Another superb issue guys.  Best one on the shelfs this month by far.  Really enjoyed Andy's take on a Kings Cross throat and also Phil's look at Bridge Building.   Always wanted to have a go at that particular view of a railway line and remember many a time going up that side road whilst going to work up the Bristol Road by bike.   When the building trade went tits up during the early nineties I could only find work as a security guard for a while.  I used to do the weekend shift on a car sales site the other side of the bridge on the left hand side.  I can't remember what it was called, but they used to sell second hand Jaguars and the like.  They were having trouble from drunk students at the time!    

Interesting - I think that side was a woodyard, but almost certainly changed hands many times.