Hornby / Triang riveted bogies.

simmo009

Wise and skilful persons of RMWeb. Can anyone give me some tips on removal and most importantly refitting of a locomotive bogie that is attached to the body/chassis with a rivet. As an added bonus, the pick ups run through the centre of the rivet. This is the old Hornby Class 31 late 60's early 70's vintage. I am going to respray and detail it a bit, and the bogie is very much in the way. I can source replacement rivets, but have no idea how I would secure it.

Any suggestions or alternative methods welcome.

For the coach bogies I used to cut through the rivet with a razor saw, sliding it in between bogie and body. Mind you they didn't have wires to worry about but you should be able to remove the wires first.

To refix I used plastic rod from kit sprues glued in to the body  then a plastcard washer glued on the bottom to hold the bogie in place, the washer is sacrificial if you need to take the bogie off again. It would be easy to use tube rather than rod or just drill out to put wires through.

• Like 1

Well, I have got the rivet out and the bogie off. The 4.8mm dia tube is a perfect fit. I have a plan, and will post some pictures when I reassemble. 

The nut/bolt is not viable in this instance,  due to the need for the pick up wiring to pass to the inside, and it would foul the centre axle. But thanks for your input.

15 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

So, did you drill it out, cut it with a razor saw, or just collapse an end?

This is the question that we need an answer to!

Come on, the suspense is killing us.

You could drill the bolt out to take the wiring.  Easier with a brass one, Maybe use a bolt (a set screw) with a countersunk screwdriver slotted head and drill it to take the wires.   Personally I cut the wires, drilled the rivet out and used the bogie for a snow plough chassis. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, a 4.8mm styrene tube fits perfectly in the holes left by the rivet. I glued this to the bogie. The holes in the weights partially prevent passage of the tube, so I drilled these out from 8mm to 10mm. Then I used some spare plasticard with a 5mm hole as a guide piece, glued to the weights. Finally a cotter pin to hold it in place and allow for removal in future. Feed through the wires, and jobs a good 'un.

16027139104257661497447087056057.jpg

• Like 3

The model dates from imperial days, so the holes are actually 3/16".

I have drilled the wretched things out and used a razor saw between body and bogie (care is needed here to not cut into the body or bogie). In extremis,  I have prised up the rivet where it has been peened over. (This allows the rivet to be reused - it only need be slightly reopened up to hold the thing together, but a nut and bolt is easier, unless it is necessary to feed wires through as here).