Hatchette Flying Scotsman

Yesterday I slipped and accidentally bought a complete set of Hatchette Flying Scotsman magazines. I have some experience soldering wagons together so the chassis shouldn't be too much trouble, however I intend to motorize my Scotsman, can anybody advise me on which parts may need to be replaced to achieve this? Furthermore has anyone had experience mounting pickups on this  model? I will use the DJH motor and gearbox unless anyone has had a better experience with another set up.  

Finally I intend to paint this model in BR lined green where would be best to source the necessary transfers for emblems and lining. Along with replacement name and number plates as if this is practical I would like to build mine as royal lancer.

Many thanks as ever

Bodger

Edited by Thebodger

There are several useful threads on this topic. Not sure if my St Frusquin thread belongs in that category but it ended up as a working model. Slater's pickups worked fine in the pre drilled holes. There is an issue with the wheels being a sloppy fit on the axles which was resolved by buying replacement axles from Slaters and carefully filing the shoulders of the square ends to fit the Hachette wheels. I sourced some of the piston parts from Ragstone models to mix and match with the ones in the kit. The biggest pain are the "nickel silver" motion parts which are a perculiar alloy that is difficult to solder. Much perseverance, several types of flux and a healthy contribution to the sweat box eventually won the day.

The instructions were designed to keep you hooked as you kept paying £8 a shot until issue 125 was delivered. You might want to come up with a more conventional build plan. This will also help avoid some of the errors, mistakes and incorrect parts that were part of the journey. These were all corrected by Hachette in due course but only after people had fallen foul of them. I strongly recommend reading as much as possible from previous builders, cataloguing parts and deciding exactly what you want to build before touching any tools.

Sorry I have just read the original post.

Remember it will need to be converted to LHD using the plastic firebox blackhead that was originally supplied in error! The tender will need to be modified to a non corridor type or scratch build a coal rail GN body.

Transfers come from Fox. They ain't cheap and a very delicate, especially the tender sides. Severn models do a full nameplate pack at reasonable money.

1 hour ago, doilum said:

Sorry for extra post but we seem to have lost the edit function!

60107 Royal Lancer: withdrawn 9/63. Double chimney from 6/59. Conversion to LHD 12/52. Kept same GN tender throughout.

PM me for a list of A3s running with the New Type tender in BR days.

39 minutes ago, Thebodger said:

Ah would a crailcrest cr109 be right?

This is probably similar to the JHart unit I used. Old school and bulky. I had to cut away a chunk of boiler and paint the motor green. It doesn't show from six feet, but I would go Canon / ABC if doing it again. Interested to see a photo of the unit you received.