Ideas for the Cess Area?

Ray Von

I'm modelling a shelf layout Southern Region terminus, circa 1980, which includes sidings opposite to the station area.  The layout is N gauge, about 4 feet in length and has a lot of "space" between lines.  I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about how to fill these areas?  I've been trying my best on train journeys to glance what prototypically occupies the gaps between lines - occasionally rusting rail sections, more often than not banks of weeds / wildflowers, even saplings.  I'd like to fill one or two spots with something more interesting, just need ideas....

• RMweb Premium

Narrow the track centres to the correct prototypical spacings, to remove the enormous n gauge track spacing, which will make it look much better straight away.

At terminals you will get things like carriage watering hoses and tap stuff with walking routes (either concreted or flattened ashes/clinker/ballast). Most stations will have catchpits for track drainage, and then there could be ground frames for shunt release, s&t troughing routes, point rodding, point machines....

Andy G

• Thanks 1