Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Models which have stood the test of time

PhilH

49 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I know ! It must be getting on  for 20 years old now though. That makes it as old now as the Mainline Jubilee and Hornby Compound/Hunt/Schools/County were when it appeared and it was a quantum leap over those. By comparison, externally at least the basic Bachmann steam loco spec still looks like the Std 5. (Is it split chassis ? Can't remember). 

Can't say Ive had warped wheel issues on mine but thanks for the heads up, I'm looking for another second hand so I'll look out for that. 

Hi Wheatley, Please see my corrected post over this. Yes I meant the split chassis version that was taken over from Mainline and modified by Bachmann. Not the later ones.

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2020 at 13:14, Steven B said:

The Poole era (i.e. before Bachmann) Graham Farish class 31 was very good and appart from lacking lighting and a DCC socket doesn't look out of place next to the 21st centuary version.

The chassis and livery application are poor by today's standards but the old Lima N Gauge GWR Siphon van can still scrub up well.

Steven B.

The Farish MK3 and MK4 coaches still look fine as well. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lima did produce some wonky rubbish but their Class 73 still looks the part, I never did like the new Dapol version, the was something about it that I just couldn't put my finger on that put me off.

Lima also did the GUV and CCT vans, the latter also in N scale all of which were also pretty decent with a little work.

Despite a new tooling version, the old Farish Poole era Class 20 with a decent paint job and more often not a new set of gears every couple of years is still worth looking at as well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

For me it has to be PECO’s N Gauge wagons and associated kits.  They have their compromises but most of them have been in continuous production since the beginning of mainstream British N Gauge.

Kind regards

Paddy

• Like 2

On 04/10/2020 at 21:57, Paddy said:

For me it has to be PECO’s N Gauge wagons and associated kits.  They have their compromises but most of them have been in continuous production since the beginning of mainstream British N Gauge.

Kind regards

Paddy

I'm not sure the modern image wagons stack up against recent ones. Peco always strike me as a very conservative operation with a very old product line. 

I do like their Collett goods - that was a groundbreaking N gauge model - but they failed to follow it up sadly. 

• Like 1

On 04/10/2020 at 13:20, Wheatley said:

No worries ! Yes, my Mainline 4MT has been a shelf queen for almost as long as I've had the Std5 !

If you consult your doctor, you'll probably be able to shift the Std5.  

Confidential advice is available, and you're among5t friends.