Hattons Precision Baseboards

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

hattonsbaseboard_feature10.jpg.29bc56eaeaa102edca67b884c74ad9e5.jpg

Hattons have introduced a new product line into their exclusive product range - Precision Baseboards.

The Precision Baseboards are a modular system created to help both new entrants and established modellers create a solid and lasting base for their layouts.  

Both MDF and Plywood modules are available to order now.

The range includes:

• Baseboard Tops (Various Sizes)
  • Legs
  • Shelves
  • Backscenes
  • Connectors & Adjustable Feet packs

The range enables you to build a baseboard quickly and easily. The boards are all designed in-house and use a unique trellis strengthening system to allow lightweight support allied with access to run cables.

We will initially offer a range of individual products as well as two packs, which include everything you need to build the following:

• 6ft x 4ft (1830mm x 1220mm) Baseboard
  • 8ft x 4ft (2440mm x 1220mm) Baseboard

These packs come with tops, legs and inter-board fixings, so that you have everything you need to get building!

Some top features of our Baseboard range include:

• Modular design - create a baseboard for any space or configuration!
  • Board tops feature pre-cut fixing points and removable blanks for routing cables.
  • Fixings are precision fit, dowelled nuts and bolts which are common throughout the range allowing commonality of parts and ease of assembly.
  • Option of MDF or Plywood modules.
  • Sustainably sourced, high quality materials used throughout.
  • No tools are required to build the board tops, just a small amount of PVA glue (provided). 
  • A small hammer is required (sold separately) for fixing pins on legs but pilot holes have been provided to make this simpler.
  • All connections are made with the provided allen keys.
  • Easy-to-understand instructions
  • Flat-packed in bespoke packaging making delivery safe and easy to handle.
  • Unique corner supports strengthen the board tops as well as allowing connection to the legs with no need for side fixings leaving edges clean.

A full list of products, prices and release dates can be found below and via the following link

Hattons Precision Baseboards - Information and Pre-order

RMwebBaseboardsPrices.JPG.689bc63fd2f47624f45265d22ea7d631.JPG

Edited by Hattons Dave
Amended info
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

All very nice and I am sure its a great thing for the hobby..... but

How is one of these removing a barrier to entry?

It as got to be as hard to put one of these together correctly as it is to make a ladder style subframe of 2x1" and screw a sheet of plywood to it and vastly more expensive.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, LBRJ said:

All very nice and I am sure its a great thing for the hobby..... but

How is one of these removing a barrier to entry?

It as got to be as hard to put one of these together correctly as it is to make a ladder style subframe of 2x1" and screw a sheet of plywood to it and vastly more expensive.

To you maybe, but we are living in the IKEA generation.  Flat-packs are less daunting to many people than using basic craft skills - measuring, sawing, screwing and gluing - which were once a cornerstone of education, be it formal or in grandad's shed, but are not so widely known if you have never done basic joinery.

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

This rather assumes that in addition to the tools and skills required you can easily find straight timber and flat plywood........not that easy these days..

• Like 1
  • Agree 18

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, spamcan61 said:

The baseboard tops are available  in a variety of  sizes e.g. 4x2,  2x2, 4x1 so presumably yoi can contruct more 'long and thin' layouts from these.

But no "presentation elements" as far as I can see - integrating the backscene along with space for lighting, etc.

I think it is a good initiative on Hatton's part. I would say it is aimed at beginners to the hobby rather than seasoned modellers, and the timing a little before Christmas is also masterful. All those Christmas train set gifts will have a quick and easy way to get up and running, without highly trained carpentry skills (something I also lack apart from the basics!), at least if they are based in the UK.

Edited by SRman
​​​​​​​Edited to fix dyslexic typing (again!).
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We'll be hosting a live Q&A tomorrow at 14:30 BST - feel free to join in and have any questions you may have answered.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm actually looking at a quick way to get started in my small spare room (8' x 8'), as my intended space in the loft will take too long to convert with the costs involved, plus not having built a model railway before this is a good way for me to start on something small in a comfortable bedroom thus yes this has caught my attention but will weigh up against other competitors supplying similar ready made baseboards and see who does the best quality and value.

I think it is a good move by Hattons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The plywood option has grabbed my attention now - I've got my layout set up but there are a couple of distinctly dodgy boards that took my an age to build - all time I would rather have spent on locos and trains!  I may well buy a few packs to replace and upgrade at the same time. I can justify the cost on the grounds my hobby is railway modelling, not woodwork :)

• Like 2

There clearly is a market for this sort of thing - there are several established suppliers already. Sure, it may not be necessary if you have good carpentry skills. But then, why buy RTR (or kits) if you can scratchbuild? Sometimes, it's just quicker and simpler to use a prepared product rather than doing it all from raw materials. My current project uses a modular plywood baseboard that's very similar to these. A lot of very good (much better than me!) modellers use them. Yes, they cost more than going down to B&Q and getting some boards and struts and then putting it all together yourself. But the overall cost is on a par with a decent loco or a DCC controller. If I can afford to equip my layout with good RTR rolling stock and good electrics, I can afford a good modular baseboard to run it all on.

I personally wouldn't use MDF - I'm willing to spend the extra for plywood - but MDF is good enough in the right environment (a lot of  budget flat pack furniture is MDF). You wouldn't use it somewhere like a shed or garage that could be damp, but it would be adequate enough if you are lucky enough to have a spare bedroom or similar for a railway room. So there's no harm in offering the cheaper option as well.

What's possibly more debatable is whether these will reach a new market of people who wouldn't previously have considered modular baseboards, or whether they'll simply abstract sales from the existing suppliers. If it turns out to be the latter, then, while it will undoubtedly be good for Hattons, it may not necessarily be good for the hobby as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Having recently looked at having some boards made I know there is currently a waiting list for nearly most pre-cut board manufacturers, Hattons may have seen that demand and wanted part of the action.

• Agree 1

I like the concept as it will save me loads of time on my next layout, but personally prefer 9mm ply as the base material as it is easier to put pins into it and lighter to transport (I have built a layout with both MDF and ply). 

Are their alignment dowls between modules please?

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Must say 950mm legs are quite tall or is that standard height for a baseboard?

Well there is no standard height. 750mm is a normal table. My baseboards are 1150mm high so are comfortable when standing up. 

I can see these being potentially useful - although I have over the years refined my baseboard building so that it is 'adequate' it is not my favourite task and I'm certainly not in the master craftsman territory. THe Hattons board oarts are priced attractively enough to be worth it in the right circumstances to save me the hassle.

Ikea furniture can get a lot of criticism but most of their items are incredibly well designed so as to only go together one way, for example with offset screws that allow even the most hamfisted of is to realise how you put it together,  have these boards been designed with those type of ideas in mind and has the assembly been road tested with right handers with three left thumbs who normally put the second nail through their finger?

David

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, classy52 said:

Must say 950mm legs are quite tall or is that standard height for a baseboard?

10 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Well there is no standard height. 750mm is a normal table. My baseboards are 1150mm high so are comfortable when standing up. 

8 hours ago, Karhedron said:

That's about the height of a kitchen worktop so seems reasonable to me. I doubt there is anything as formal as a standard.

Until the human being is produced in a standard height then you pays yer money!

Mike.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It’s a great idea, especially for those coming into the hobby or the younger adults. 
I got back into modelling in my mid 20s. At that time I was living in a two bed flat. I had space for a small N gauge layout but no work bench or place to do woodwork. 
It’s not just the cost of the wood - it’s all the tools and facilities. Something that needs as much assembly as an Ikea bookcase is ideal. I wish it was around when I started - there were small manufacturers of baseboard kits but they were generally bespoke with long lead in times

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I'm dismayed with the amount of negative remarks on here about these baseboards.  MDF or Plywood, there too high, too short and too expensive and I would expect that most of these comments come from people who are able to build their own without issue.  This is one reason I've given up on model railway clubs as there's always one or two who think their opinion matters more than others.

There are a lot of people who for one reason or another (me included), struggle with wood butchery and go with self assembly baseboards, which might not be the most cost effective, but given the savings in time and correcting errors, are the best option for them.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1