Hattons Precision Baseboards

Hattons Dave

@jools1959 I agree, I thought the only issue was the lack of a plywood version (now resolved) because I don't like MDF.

But Hattons have succinctly put together a package of components that let people build their own baseboards.  Ok there are other companies out there that can supply and I've purchased my latest boards from one of these, but Hattons are the first retailer to put baseboards into their general products (unlike a bit of sundela that some shops used to sell).   It has the look of an Ikea type product so will be attractive to someone who knows flatpacks.

The fact I don't have to think about cutting up boards and striving but never quite achieving the straight edges I need takes away all the stress.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ok I only just asked a simple question about leg height and whether that was a standard and did not intend to start an international incident!

My post was not negative but if you feel it was then that's your own issue to deal with but please don't think I was being antagonistic because I wasn't...christ it was just simple question!

Well done to Hattons for introducing this and I will be one of their baseboard customers going forward.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I must admit I'm dismayed with the amount of negative remarks on here about these baseboards.  MDF or Plywood, there too high, too short and too expensive and I would expect that most of these comments come from people who are able to build their own without issue.  This is one reason I've given up on model railway clubs as there's always one or two who think their opinion matters more than others.

There are a lot of people who for one reason or another (me included), struggle with wood butchery and go with self assembly baseboards, which might not be the most cost effective, but given the savings in time and correcting errors, are the best option for them.

I don't  class the comments as negative. This is a discussion forum so people have an expectation to voice their opinions either way. It would be a sad old thing if we all had to be yes men and only ever post supportive remarks. Witness the amount of comment should a manufacturer produce a loco model with a miniscule error in it....

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

I have always built my own boards with a reasonable degree of success. However I will seriously consider flat pack in the future for ease, quality and convenience. There are other manufacturers in the market but there is always room for a new one, particularly at the moment when so much of what you need is shown as out of stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks to all of you for the extensive feedback provided so far.

With the addition of the Plywood modules, I thought it best to 'start again' with the thread to save any confusion on what materials and modules are available.

I've amended the original post to contain all the latest info, and a selection of posts prior to the Plywood module launch have been removed. This is solely to save any future confusion, especially for those who are reading the thread from the start.

Thanks again for your support and please continue to share your thoughts, either in this thread or in the Disqus box on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Until the human being is produced in a standard height then you pays yer money!

Mike.

Le Corbusier touched on this with his modular man (Modulor) in trying to find how the humans can scale.

Don't think we are there yet with a standard person.

(I detested Le Corb at college because one of our lecturer's thought he was God and everything has to be referenced back to Le Corb).

• RMweb Premium

I for one applaud Hattons initiative, and yes there will be nay-sayers and bemoaners, but if I was starting afresh with my layout I would be going down this route.

After all the baseboard is just something that the layout sits on; the more flexible and easy to put together the better. My current layout is only one foot wide for most of its length (and I already have laser cut curves), so adapting these would have been very easy.

Edited by 7013
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I’m gutted they aren’t offering international shipping. I’ve been attempting baseboards for years now and I just can’t get them as good and flat as I’d like. These would have been perfect and I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one willing to pay the extra cost involved in the shipping. 

5 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m gutted they aren’t offering international shipping. I’ve been attempting baseboards for years now and I just can’t get them as good and flat as I’d like. These would have been perfect and I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one willing to pay the extra cost involved in the shipping. 

Hattons mentioned in their video they are working on organizing international shipping in the future thus I think your wish will come true.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

There are other providers of similar kits: White Rose, Grainge & Hodder,..... They might help you.

But shipping to NZ is going to be costly. Perhaps you could find a firm out there that has laser cutting equipment?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Importing wood based products can be tricky - worth checking local import regs

Chris

I believe that is the reason why one of the laser cut board suppliers I know will not supply to the antipodes. It adds so much to the cost to be unviable - and he also gets the "blame" for his products being too expensive to ship..........

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I will wait and see the 4x1 boards, am sorely tempted to replace my rather chunky and heavy  4x1 boards with these. Leg height should not be a problem with a decent saw!!! 

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Neverwood said:

Now that Hatton's, to their great credit, have taken the plywood option on board, one cannot but note that most of the comments on this thread that may, (please note, I said 'may') , have led to this very sensible course of action have been moderated 'out'.  So much for us alleged moaners then.

23 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Thanks to all of you for the extensive feedback provided so far.

With the addition of the Plywood modules, I thought it best to 'start again' with the thread to save any confusion on what materials and modules are available.

I've amended the original post to contain all the latest info, and a selection of posts prior to the Plywood module launch have been removed. This is solely to save any future confusion, especially for those who are reading the thread from the start.

Thanks again for your support and please continue to share your thoughts, either in this thread or in the Disqus box on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

As Dave has said, he has tidied up the thread to reflect the plywood option. There was plenty of moaning, also adverts for other companies and a stream of abuse aimed at me. Those have gone. Sorry if this disappoints you. Now back to the baseboards.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Neverwood said:

So much for us alleged moaners then.

Well I certainly don't want people thinking that the louder they shout/cry the more likely a manufacturer/retailer will do something to appease them (they're often not an actual customer anyway). It just leads to problems all round.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it's a great idea, building a good solid long lasting baseboard from scratch is a non-trivial activity. Especially considering some of the rubbish quality "timber" in the big DIY sheds.  A simple kit that can be cleanly assembled in a domestic environment is a winner, I think.

Perhaps one day we'll see some of these layouts at exhibitions?  If so, the height of 950mm is about right for the type of layout it's likely to accomodate.

Personally, I'd be cautious about building a solid 6 by 4 or even 8 by 4 board in a domestic environment.  I think there's  a case for encouraging potential users to think more modular.  Maybe that's to come as the range develops.

mark

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

I think it's a great idea, building a good solid long lasting baseboard from scratch is a non-trivial activity. Especially considering some of the rubbish quality "timber" in the big DIY sheds.  A simple kit that can be cleanly assembled in a domestic environment is a winner, I think.

Perhaps one day we'll see some of these layouts at exhibitions?  If so, the height of 950mm is about right for the type of layout it's likely to accomodate.

Personally, I'd be cautious about building a solid 6 by 4 or even 8 by 4 board in a domestic environment.  I think there's  a case for encouraging potential users to think more modular.  Maybe that's to come as the range develops.

mark

Well I've now gone from my 8'x8' spare room to setup to go ahead & purchase a 18'x6' shed which I will insulate, powered & heated and have it located within my house side access, this will allow me to get a 16'x5' modular baseboard from Hattons.

The initial idea of using my spare room was alright but in the end it lacked a suitable length to run a loco with a decent rake thus now going outside into a shed will give me more space & length and these baseboard products are perfect to do this.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

Hi Hattons Dave,

Just a suggestion, perhaps you would consider also doing the 4 foot baseboard top that has a 1 foot width alongside your 2 foot widths.

Also perhaps a flush hinge system designed for these board tops to allow you to flip up a top to gain access in certain situations where you don't have to crawl under it to get into the middle of the model railway.

Just a couple of ideas.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Hi Hattons Dave,

Just a suggestion, perhaps you would consider also doing the 4 foot baseboard top that has a 1 foot width alongside your 2 foot widths.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

4ft x 1ft baseboard tops are in development, and will be launched in Q1 2021.

These will be joined by other shapes and sizes including 1ft x 1ft, and corner pieces too.

Check out the link below for a full list of baseboard top options:

Hattons Precision Baseboard Tops range

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Steve,

4ft x 1ft baseboard tops are in development, and will be launched in Q1 2021.

These will be joined by other shapes and sizes including 1ft x 1ft, and corner pieces too.

Check out the link below for a full list of baseboard top options:

Hattons Precision Baseboard Tops range

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Fantastic, apologies I didn't notice that further down the page and just assumed it was the same as the colour photo.

Sorry about that and many thanks.

Cheers

Steve