New Forum Software

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Is there now not an option to edit or delete PMs if a mistake is made before sending?

Not fully tested PM stuff, will take a look tomorrow John.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I like the new feature whereby lengthy post quotes are reduced to just a few sentences with an expand option if you want to read it all. Nice touch.

So do I, but I often want to quote such long posts several times.

Multiquote allows several posts to be quoted once.

'Quote' should be abolished as it allows the quoter to bypass any intermediate posts which may or may not be relevant to that which is being quoted.

To my mind, remove the 'quote' button, leave the current multiquote icon to allow several posts to be quoted, but add a '*' button to add a quote more than once to the multiquote list. (Four separate quotes, press the '*' button 3 times, for example. Clicking it once will add 2 copies as the minimum; clicking it again will add a third, etc. Alternatively, click it once and it presents a counter [minimum 2] of how many repeats are required.)

Edited by BokStein

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, BokStein said:

So do I, but I often want to quote such long posts several times.

Multiquote allows several posts to be quoted once.

'Quote' should be abolished as it allows the quoter to bypass any intermediate posts which may or may not be relevant to that which is being quoted.

To my mind, remove the 'quote' button, leave the current multiquote icon to allow several posts to be quoted, but add a '*' button to add a quote more than once to the multiquote list. (Four separate quotes, press the '*' button 3 times, for example. Clicking it once will add 2 copies as the minimum; clicking it again will add a third, etc. Alternatively, click it once and it presents a counter [minimum 2] of how many repeats are required.)

Why make things more complicated?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Why make things more complicated?

As opposed to going back several pages to requote the donor post several times? Yup, there's 5 points in this post I'd like to comment on, *5 and 5 copies are added to the multiquote list. Complicated?

Edited by BokStein

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BokStein said:

Complicated?

Maybe not but the potential for chaos is big in the hands and fingers of someone who's not wholly competent on the tools.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Maybe not but the potential for chaos is big in the hands and fingers of someone who's not wholly competent on the tools.

Fair point!

However, misuse of the 'quote' button can destroy thread continuity. (I'm five pages back from the end of the thread so I'll quote this post. Voila, 5 pages bypassed!)

As an interim, why not kill the '+' multiquote button and transfer this functionality to the 'Quote' button? As the members get used to this, there opens an opportunity to add the '*' (quote multiple times) facility.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, BokStein said:

As opposed to going back several pages to requote the donor post several times?

21 minutes ago, BokStein said:

Yup, there's 5 points in this post I'd like to comment on,

22 minutes ago, BokStein said:

, *5 and 5 copies are added to the multiquote list. Complicated?

Maybe?:)

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Is there now not an option to edit or delete PMs if a mistake is made before sending?

Knowing me, I'm probably missing something!

I've been back for a look now and it still looks like you can edit the text as you go before sending and, at least on my account, I can see the edit option from the three dots at the top right for editing after it's sent. I still seem to be able to delete PMs from the menu on the left.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

how does one set things to go to the 1st unread entry on a page

If you mean how do you get there from the View New Content page for instance - click on the dot or star to the left of that topic's line in VNC.

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

If you mean how do you get there from the View New Content page for instance - click on the dot or star to the left of that topic's line in VNC.

I've done it like this:

- click the down arrow next to your username in the top right of the screen

- account settings

-content view behaviour

-take me to content I haven't read

-save

Then just clicking on the thread title (as opposed to the dot or star) will take you to the first post you've not read.

Gra

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, OhOh said:

I've done it like this:

- click the down arrow next to your username in the top right of the screen

- account settings

-content view behaviour

-take me to content I haven't read

-save

Then just clicking on the thread title (as opposed to the dot or star) will take you to the first post you've not read.

Nice one; after all these years I've never explored that option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

RMWeb needs to come with a user guide, nice one, I've just applied that @OhOh

I think I found that quite by accident yesterday while looking for something else that I now can't recall. I've always taken a "I wonder what'd happen if I press that and that?" approach to computers ... with a few disastrous results to my name :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

RMWeb needs to come with a user guide,

With a predominantly male middle-aged onwards readership do you think they'd read instructions?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

With a predominantly male middle-aged onwards readership do you think they'd read instructions?

Instructions are only for operator error fault finding before submitting a complaint that "it's not working".  ;)

• Funny 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Instructions are only for operator error fault finding before after submitting a complaint that "it's not working".  ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

One minor-ish iPad issue (iPadOS 13.6) is that, in the past, if I tapped on the title of a topic with unread content it would take me to the first unread item; on a PC I'd have to click on the dot to the left of the title. It's now taking me to the first item, rather than the first unread item; I need to tap on the dot to go to the first unread item, which is rather tricky.

On my iMac running Safari clicking on the topic title used to take me to the first unread posting well, but IIRC only if I was looking at the New Content list.  Now the only way to see the first unread post, regardless of which list I'm looking at or which device I'm using, is to tap the dot next to the topic title.  That's really quite difficult on a phone (Android/Chrome) with fattish fingers.

I'd vote for "clicking on the topic title takes you first unread", if only on the New Content list i.e. other views could stay with the dot for unread content.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Agree 1