New Forum Software

SPEED-READING

3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Thank you for pointing that out.  It's not always easy to spot a specific useful posting when trying to speed-read a thread that's covering quite a wide range of issues, often with rapid-fire interactions going on.

Just an idea, but when replying in a thread such as this, that'll contain various bits of related yet diverse information, it would be helpful (especially to speed-readers :)) to add a short title as I've done at the top of this post.

That said, if I have a specific question then I tend not to speed-read but read thoroughly from the beginning, often learning something else I hadn't thought of along the way.

On a slightly related note: adding Tags when creating a New Topic can be helpful to readers too.

Gra

PS: not having a go @ejstubbs just quoting you as you specifically mentioned speed-reading.

@AY Mod

There is one little niggle that does annoy me just a tad and that is to do with Notifications.

Whenever I get notifications of a followed topic in my list, as soon as I click on one of them all the rest change to being read, now this is ok if I only get a couple, but if I end up with loads it's difficult to remember which is the first of the recent Notifications that I haven't yet read (If that makes sense).

Is there anyway that the Notifications only change to being read when either they've been clicked on or have a 'Mark Notifications read' button??

Cheers

Neal.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

as soon as I click on one of them all the rest change to being read, 

It was the same before and i wouldn't know where to start to change that behaviour. Personally I'd hate to have to clear all mine individually.

• Agree 3

On 01/10/2020 at 09:44, truffy said:

Hi Andy. Didn't we used to have a 'mark forum as read' button? We don't now.

@AY Mod Hi Andy, the 'mark forum as read' is showing on the desktop version, but not the mobile version. At least not on iPhone (iOS 13.8).

Also, could it be moved up to the same level as the 'create thread' button to make it larger for mobile?

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, truffy said:

the 'mark forum as read' is showing on the desktop version, but not the mobile version. At least not on iPhone (iOS 13.8).

On Android the link is at the bottom of the page. Is it the same on an iPhone? 

• RMweb Premium

I think it is a great shame, the "blog information area" is now at the foot of the blog. It was much more useful as a sidebar. Perhaps we can have it back where it was, or an option to put it back where it was?

- Richard.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

On Android the link is at the bottom of the page. Is it the same on an iPhone? 

So it is. It never occurred to me to scroll to the bottom of the page, past swathes of read threads, when I pop into a forum to see that only one thread has been updated. :blink:

Is there a reason why it's at the bottom, and not at the top where (a) it used to be and (b) it's convenient? Just asking for a friend. :D

• RMweb Premium
On 02/10/2020 at 10:28, OhOh said:

I've done it like this:

- click the down arrow next to your username in the top right of the screen

- account settings

-content view behaviour

-take me to content I haven't read

-save

Then just clicking on the thread title (as opposed to the dot or star) will take you to the first post you've not read.

Gra

I don't mind a bit of playing with settings to get the site to do what I want when it's been upgraded, keeps the brain engaged. 

But not being able to just click on the title and go to the first unread post was starting to do my head in !! :wacko:

Just followed these instructions, checked the result, and it works a treat. :D

Thanks OhOh for posting.

Thanks also to Andy Y, and my deepest sympathies, for having to put up with us lot whining !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has been raised before - I went back 5 pages and couldn't see it, but I may have missed it.

I used to get a Notification when someone quoted what I said or specifically used my 'moniker' but now I get them every time someone "reacts" to my post either on my thread or on one other which is not mine - but on which I have posted.

This seems to me to be  a waste of processing power and also causes me to go back and have a look at what has been said, whereas it was just a "like" or whatever.

Can this change be undone or was it deliberate?

Tony

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just noticed that there have been some changes.

My thanks are due to those responsible, I'm sure, because everything still works on my computer.

If it helps the people who are trying to solve other peoples' problems, my computer is a black one and has a big screen which goes blank when I turn it off.

People who make changes that might affect other people have my support and admiration. I've never been that brave.

:good_mini:

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

A further outage caused by the flaming flaky software. :mad_mini:

I'm back on at at least - is anyone else out there?

Yes,

It is working for me.

By the way did you get the PM I sent you about the display of photos with the new software?

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Yes.

I hadn't noticed the outage but I was doing other things for a while.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, DaveF said:

By the way did you get the PM I sent you about the display of photos with the new software?

Sorry David; I've got a bit of a backlog!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You're back.  I had an RMweb offline screen - not one that I've seen before 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You broke it, go on admit it, it was you wasn't it ?  Dont you go blaming Phil now. :rolleyes:.  Ooo errr matron my emoticons just threw a wobbly !  I'm sure they will calm down in a bit :blinkclear:

Good job you got no hair Andy, it would have all gone again by now :mocking_mini:

There emoticons back to normal again :man_in_love_mini:

• Like 1