New Forum Software

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A couple of times recently I have been asked on here to Accept Cookies. I hate getting this on any site, and would cheerfully murder the misguided souls that pressed for it to become a requirement on every website. However, as a Gold Member, surely it can be assumed that I have accepted RMweb's Ts & Cs in their entirety, and understand that cookies are part of life? 

I only get that message before I've signed in. I've never seen it after I am signed in.

• Agree 3

On 30/09/2020 at 15:19, MarkSG said:

To add to the list of things which aren't working quite right after the upgrade: Notification emails are being truncated - seemingly randomly, and even chopped off in the middle of a word!

I have actually found a couple of workarounds to this. The first is to change the email notification settings so instead of "A notification when new content is posted" it's "One email per day with all new content from that day". The daily email still contains the full content of every new comment, so I can read through them all and then decide whether or not to click through to any. The downside, of course, is the delay, and also the fact that for popular topics, the daily email can be quite lengthy! But it is better than a series of individual truncated emails.

The other option, possibly a little surprisingly, is to use the RSS feed of new content. This also contains the full text of every comment, and it has the advantage that, unlike the daily email, it's pretty much immediate. The downside, though, is that it is a feed of everything, so it's something of a stream of consciousness - there's no option of a feed per topic, which would be ideal in this context - and that means I need to apply filters to my RSS reader to make it useful. That's more work, since it requires me to configure it manually at my end rather than just clicking a button on the RMweb website. But it's worth having a play with.

On 10/10/2020 at 19:16, Oldddudders said:

A couple of times recently I have been asked on here to Accept Cookies. I hate getting this on any site, and would cheerfully murder the misguided souls that pressed for it to become a requirement on every website. However, as a Gold Member, surely it can be assumed that I have accepted RMweb's Ts & Cs in their entirety, and understand that cookies are part of life? 

It used to be that the original "Accept Cookies" box popped up at the bottom of the page and went away without needing clicking when you signed in.  Ordinary member or GoldMember, it behaved in the same way.  With the software upgrade, the old notification is displayed as usual, but a new intrusive box appears before there is time to sign in and blocks all activity until you've accepted its diktats.

Its a pity that the new, intrusive box can't be disabled and the method of cookie acceptance for casual browsing reinstated.  As a logged in member of whatever "class", you shouldn't have to agree to what you've already agreed to by becoming a member!

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It used to be that the original "Accept Cookies" box popped up at the bottom of the page and went away without needing clicking when you signed in.  Ordinary member or GoldMember, it behaved in the same way.  With the software upgrade, the old notification is displayed as usual, but a new intrusive box appears before there is time to sign in and blocks all activity until you've accepted its diktats.

Its a pity that the new, intrusive box can't be disabled and the method of cookie acceptance for casual browsing reinstated.  As a logged in member of whatever "class", you shouldn't have to agree to what you've already agreed to by becoming a member!

Yes, but the system doesn't know you're a registered user until after you've logged in, but you have to accept cookies first in order to log in! So this isn't really avoidable at that point in the workflow. The solution, if you're regularly accessing the site from the same PC, is to get it to remember you so you don't need to keep logging in. That way, you'll never see the cookie prompt.

• Moderators

I will speak to our IT people about the cookie acceptance duplication - they wanted to install something which gives further control rather than simple acceptance. If you have set you browser to remove all cookies/history on closure then it will keep presenting itself.

I think there has been a Win10 update that affects logins. Every site I go to - including Google search - now requires me to login EVERY time I go there. My PC still remembers my details and on some sites I can tick a box to say "remember me", but logins are now always required. 

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I think there has been a Win10 update that affects logins. Every site I go to - including Google search - now requires me to login EVERY time I go there. My PC still remembers my details and on some sites I can tick a box to say "remember me", but logins are now always required. 

Stewart

I've got the latest Win10 updates and I don't get that.

This site has asked me about three times since the update, not everytime.

Most regularly visited sites still log on automatically

Some sites constantly ask, usually because they are not "whitelisted" in the browser, however Freiwald site always asks, whatever the settings.

EDIT

Just checked my browser and it is not set up to clear specific cookies.

All settings are the browser defaults, it must have done that at a browser update as I carefully set up a load of exceptions/preferences some time ago:(

Edited by melmerby

I generally clear everything when I move from one site to another, I rarely have different sites open at once.  My browser is also set to clear everything when I shut it, I don't leave cookies, etc swilling about!  The fact that sites often have an obnoxious "we store cookies" acceptance window that won't let you proceed without an Ok gives me all the more reason to remove anything the site deposits in the browser once I agree!

The Google one is a particular annoyance (it has only just started to display in the last fortnight or so). Sometimes it doesn't pop up, so I assume that the site I might have temporarily left without clearing things up has a google affiliation and has already slipped a google cookie in.

We're just product for the likes of Googles customers...

Well a thanks and generally a catch you all far less frequently :)

The new forum software works fine on my new Ipad with Safari a big plus.

Unfortunately the endless floating ads top and bottom are now so intrusive as to drive me away unless I really need to find something here, and even then I am now more likely to use a desktop with more powerful add suppression software.

So thanks Andy for all the work and hosting a great resource.

:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If you get fed up with accepting cookies (on all sites, not just here) there's a free extension you can add to most browsers. Just Google "I don't care about cookies". I've installed the extension for Edge and am almost free of being asked for cookies, although it doesn't work for the Freiwald site - probably because it's being asked there in a non-standard way. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, john new said:

Re cookies - no problems on any of my Apple kit, Mac, MacBook and I-pad.  Not opened RMWeb on the I-phone yet though. Usual browser Chrome.

You're probably getting them without notification.:(

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Yes, but the system doesn't know you're a registered user until after you've logged in, but you have to accept cookies first in order to log in! So this isn't really avoidable at that point in the workflow. The solution, if you're regularly accessing the site from the same PC, is to get it to remember you so you don't need to keep logging in. That way, you'll never see the cookie prompt.

I don't need to accept cookies before signing in. I just go straight to the sign in button and the cookie message disappears.

Can anybody tell me please how to search a forum for the term class 37 that will only turn up results with class and 37 in them? I get loads of entries with just class. 37 by itself gives no results, I am sure there are class 37 articles in it.

edit, sorry realised wrong topic, and seems to need to be done in google search. Disregard message, delete if you want, don’t think I can

cheers

john

Edited by John57sharp

14 minutes ago, John57sharp said:

Can anybody tell me please how to search a forum for the term class 37 that will only turn up results with class and 37 in them? I get loads of entries with just class. 37 by itself gives no results, I am sure there are class 37 articles in it.

cheers

john

Pretty sure you can’t search for terms of fewer than three characters. I thought putting it in quotes would work, but that returns no results

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure if it was there before or not but having tried twice recently to use strike through when editing a previously made post I have noticed it isn't there for edits but is for original posts.

Can strike through be reinstated somehow for editing. 

This post is an example of where it would have been a useful option but wasn't available. [using Chrome on a MacBookPro running Catalina if that makes a difference].

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, john new said:

I'll have a look when I get chance, definitely gorn astray.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, john new said:

Not sure if it was there before or not but having tried twice recently to use strike through when editing a previously made post I have noticed it isn't there for edits but is for original posts.

This post is an example of where it would have been a useful option but wasn't available. [using Chrome on a MacBookPro running Catalina if that makes a difference].

12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'll have a look when I get chance, definitely gorn astray.

I don't know if this is helpful, but the bigger the font size, the fewer options are visible in 'edit.'  I have to have the font quite large (Yeah I know, I need to go to Specsavers!), but if I make the font smaller (Ctrl & minus on my PC), then strikethrough becomes visible, and it works on a previous post of mine in this thread.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Moxy said:

I don't know if this is helpful, but the bigger the font size, the fewer options are visible in 'edit.'  I have to have the font quite large (Yeah I know, I need to go to Specsavers!), but if I make the font smaller (Ctrl & minus on my PC), then strikethrough becomes visible, and it works on a previous post of mine in this thread.

Confirmed as correct, however, it would be helpful if worked with the screen set at any resolution..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, john new said:

Confirmed as correct, however, it would be helpful if worked with the screen set at any resolution..

Can you change the screen resolution so strikethrough is available, do your strikethrough, then change your resolution back to how you want it? You may need a magnifying glass for one of these steps, of course, but better that than not having strikethrough at all.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Budgie said:

Can you change the screen resolution so strikethrough is available, do your strikethrough, then change your resolution back to how you want it? You may need a magnifying glass for one of these steps, of course, but better that than not having strikethrough at all.

After checking the answer for my Apple kit is -

Macbook Pro laptop  & my Mac desktop - yes

i-pad.  - Viewing in portrait orientation it is not NOT visible in landscape yes.

i-phone - no not even in landscape format.

Hope this helps. Can’t comment for windows or Android kit but am guessing desktops and tablets will be similar to my Apple gear.

Edited by john new