GWR Station Building Modular Timber Sections - Inkscape Diagrams

Collett

Looking for details on GWR timber station buildings I was reminded that Paul Karau's GREAT WESTERN BRANCHLINE TERMINI included a drawing of the original station building at Tetbury.  As this was a line built by the GWR, opened 2nd December 1889 I feel confident in calling it a "GWR" building, although whether it was fabricated by GWR carpenters I couldn't say.  Looking at the notes on the excellent www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr website regarding the wooden station at Stretton-on-Fosse "according to Messrs. Jenkins and Carpenter, was 'similar to others erected at various places throughout the GWR system during the 1880s'." Were these Swindon designed and built?

Looking at the Paul Karau drawing it appears that the building consisted of four frame modules, 10ft wide by 12ft high:

Type 1:  Single Door in centre with side window - left hand

Type 2:  Double Windows in centre

Type 3:  Double Doors in centre

Type 4:  Toilets - ventilator grills in centre instead of windows

There's also a panel as per Type 1 but with the window on the right hand.

The one thing missing is a 'blind' panel (like the end panel) with no door or window.  However, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace the windows in a Type 2 panel with planking.  Anyway, a window or door-less panel would have been covered in poster hoardings so the detail is not material.

The panels at the building ends are 14ft 4inch, at one end there is an entrance to the toilets with ventilation grill above and another ventilation grill set off centre to the right  

Tetbury Walls 1888 PDF File.pdf

The road side of the building had six Type 2 panels and a toilet ventilator panel at the left hand end.

Interestingly the photograph in GWBT shows an awning over both the platform and the road side (although narrower) with valancing all the way around.

I have drawn up these panels in Inkscape V.1.0.1, hopefully the svg file I have attached is backwards compatible with previous versions.  To those who don't have Inkscape, my apologies, but it's an invaluable free software and I highly recommend getting it.  

TETBURY 1888 - Front Back & Sides.svg    

While I have presented the building as per the Paul Karau drawing, each panel in the Inkscape file has been completed as a separate module, with frame and planking as separate objects in the drawings.  Note - the Planking objects can be ungrouped down to the individual plank if required.  It's therefore possible to rearrange the panels as you wish, although the top and bottom end nodes on the right of the frame would have to be moved 2mm to the right if needed for the right hand end of the building. 

As there was no roadside access to the building shown the drawing, a Type 3 panel with double doors could replace one of the six Type 2 panels, making a roadside entry to the booking hall.  All the frames have been drawn 'left handed' with the principal 6inch upright on the left.

All framing has been drawn with standardised 2mm (6inch) and 1.5mm (4.5inch) with 1mm transom timbers splitting doors and fanlights.

I have printed off two copies of the pdf file with the intention of slicing them up and moving things around to suit my intended station building for Blandings Parva. 

Edited by Collett
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Collett,

My thanks for sharing these files. I am intending to build a model of what was my local station which was of this type. I can try the SVG file out on my Silhouette cutter. I find SVG files easy to read and edit - even with Notepad.  

The station in question was Littleton and Badsey on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton main line in south Worcestershire. Stretton-on-Fosse was on the Shipston branch of the OWW. The two stations were about 12 miles apart. L&B was an 1880s station. The OWW was part of the GWR by that time. So it is very likely, as you say, the building panels were Swindon made.

Below are some photos of the station building. I took them so the copyright is with me. Unfortunately their quality is not of the highest thanks to them being processed and printed by my High Street Chemist. There are plenty of other photos of the front in books such as Chris Leigh's first "GWR Country Stations" or Mitchel and Smith's book "Morton in Marsh to Worcester". None include a photo of the rear of the building which is included below.

The doors were left to right Booking Office, Private and (I think) Ladies toilet/waiting room. The door at the end was the Gent's toilet.

Hope they are of interest to you.

Ian. 

1026672164_XXXLandB01(2).jpg.28e625f120d08b58670581224353b7a7.jpg

1640573701_XXXLandB02(3).jpg.e4b8c3fb1489e08dc6ac468b66fb1d08.jpg

486873535_XXXLandB03(3).jpg.3301ee16e9f18ad64cc75f8edac3b494.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I actually have some Shipton on Stour station building Silhouette files somewhere and cut out a lot of the paneling in 10thou plasticard.  Then I put them away safely somewhere.... perhaps someday I will find them.  The panels ended up rather like lace doilies.  My plan was to paint before putting the layers together - so the Stone #3 frames would be clean and crisp over the top of the Stone #1 panels with the countless vertical laths.  Rather than using solvent adhesive the intention was to use matt varnish to stick things together.  That's still the plan.      

Shipston-on-Stour Station Building.Panels Print verion.svg

• Like 1