Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David Robert Sharples - RIP

SteveyDee68

What a moving and heartfelt tribute, Steve.  I'm sure your dad would be so touched by those reflections, moreover that you tell a familiar story for those of us whose lives have been touched by dementia - I can see complete parallels with my late mum.  Thank you for taking the time to compose such a poignant yet positive post, I hope it helped in some way putting those thoughts and memories to 'paper.'  Take care.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the beautiful tribute to your father. Dementia is a horrible horrible thing, I feel so sad that your family had to go through that.

Sorry for your loss, your father sounds very similar to my Grandad. Always on the look out for a new path to go down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

What a tremendous tribute to your late father. I am sure that he would be both heartened and proud to have "done his job as a dad" and have left behind a person who can express himself so eloquently in this time of grief.

May you find solace in the fact that you have not let him down.

My father suffered dementia. Your comments that "dementia slowly steals away skills as well as memories" is 100% accurate. 

My father's favourite composer was Antonin Dvorak. He would comment on the subleties of his compositions and the way he incorporated folk tunes into them. Our last conversation was about Dvorak's Symphony No 9. I spoke for a couple of minutes and then he said "I don't know what you are talking about". I excused myself, left the room and cried. 

No prizes for guessing the music at the funeral.

• Friendly/supportive 11

5 hours ago, Kendo54 said:

My father's favourite composer was Antonin Dvorak. He would comment on the subleties of his compositions and the way he incorporated folk tunes into them. Our last conversation was about Dvorak's Symphony No 9. I spoke for a couple of minutes and then he said "I don't know what you are talking about". I excused myself, left the room and cried. 

No prizes for guessing the music at the funeral.

I'm also having to write something to share with the brass band community, as Dad played the BBb Bass (like a tuba on steroids) most of his life, playing in bands from when he was 14 until he was 70 years old! Most modelling acquaintances would be totally unaware of his banding activities, and vice versa!

He retired from playing at 70 because, in his own words, "I don't want to be known as the old chap struggling at the back". We think he was struggling to read his music - possibly the first indication of what was to come.

He didn't come from a musical family, but through his encouragement to learn an instrument I ended up taking a music degree, and my younger sister has played in and for top rank brass bands! We were discussing music for his funeral service - sadly, we can neither have a brass band play nor even my own brass ensemble perform due to new restrictions, but equally we are struggling to select music! He had such an eclectic taste, from classical to brass/military bands, James Last, pan pipes, musicals and Katie Melua (the last possibly due to Terry Wogan being a huge fan!) The only recording that springs to mind as something we always associated with him seems completely inappropriate - Tijuana Christmas !

Thank you all for the kind comments and reactions. I didn't expect that at all, and explained to my Mum that I wanted something to remember him as a modeller, which was such an important part of his life. I've read out the responses, and she has been touched by them, as I am, all those thoughts, comments and condolences from (to her) complete strangers. RMWeb members demonstrating that despite differences in scale, interests, age or background that we are a supportive and caring community.

Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• 3 months later...

Whilst sorting some items in the loft after his death, I came across my Dad's portable drawing board. I've kept it, and all the draughting tools I could find and just now thought I would use them to help me accurately draw up a building outline using Scalescenes kits as templates.

Upon opening it, I've discovered his very last drawing - what appears to be a general arrangement drawing of the LMS 4-4-0 tender loco he intended to 'correct' or 'improve'.

He hadn't notated it, or else his distinctively clear lettering would clearly identify it as his work, but I recognise his style. It's a bit of a shock - I didn't know it was there!

Although only a few pencil lines on an A4 piece of paper, I think I shall frame it as a momento.

Steve S

IMG_1526.JPG

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10