Strip LED connection

Tony Davis

• RMweb Premium

Yes, you cut them where the solder pads are, straight across between the plusses & minuses. 3 leds per unit.

If you are doing a lot you can buy them on reels, which I have done.

The ones I bought are actually way too bright and need the voltage reducing considerably to dim them.

Second Edit

If you are talking about using each individual LED on it's own, yes but each needs a separate resistor, in which case why not buy the LEDs individually along with suitable resistors.

Edited by melmerby
added detail
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Second Edit

If you are talking about using each individual LED on it's own, yes but each needs a separate resistor, in which case why not buy the LEDs individually along with suitable resistors.

Thanks for the info and, to answer the Second Edit, because I already have the LEDs, I have the resistors, and it's a chance to learn a little bit more about how to use components. I enjoy fiddling about with bits and pieces and if I don't have to buy anything extra it's even more satisfying!

Tony

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tony Davis said:

Thanks for the info and, to answer the Second Edit, because I already have the LEDs, I have the resistors, and it's a chance to learn a little bit more about how to use components. I enjoy fiddling about with bits and pieces and if I don't have to buy anything extra it's even more satisfying!

Tony

A bit like this then?

lights.png.da7cd21cbacced9a5cc54a16bf18e53c.png

The original resistor is on the back with the rest of the wiring.

• Like 1

These strips are good for imitating  modernish image fluorescent lighting whether coach or building but individual LEDs hung from the ceiling look more convincing in old buildings or compartment stock.    |It looks like they only have a single resistor so you will need separate resistors for each chunk if you start cutting.        21st century stock really needs white LEDs, 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

These strips are good for imitating  modernish image fluorescent lighting whether coach or building but individual LEDs hung from the ceiling look more convincing in old buildings or compartment stock.    |It looks like they only have a single resistor so you will need separate resistors for each chunk if you start cutting.        21st century stock really needs white LEDs, 

If you look around they are available in quite a few colour temperatures, you need a warmer glow for filament lamps and a yellowish tint for gas

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, ColinK said:

While all the pictures I’ve seen have the power being applied to the ends of LED strips, could I solder the power leads (3v in my case) to the solder pads in the middle of the strip?

Yes you can, the sets of solder pads are simply sitting on two continuous power rails going the full length of the strip. The 3V I think you will find will be too low, these strips come in two varieties 24V and 12V the latter being the more common. As someone has already stated they will be quite bright and may need additional resistors to reduce the current to acceptable levels and only experimentation will reveal how much.

Richard