Covid 19 : Six Months in.

Widnes Model Centre

• RMweb Premium

Yes very interesting post . It’s really odd isn’t it that this year seems to have shot through .  I think you’re post shows the struggles that you, specifically in a model shop , but actually all retail have been going through in the year . We do take it for granted and we really shouldn’t . So a resounding thank you for your service and indeed posting on here and giving us your insight .

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I can only say I have received excellent service from various online retailers I have used during the past 6 months. I don't think I have had to wait more than a few days before delivery has been made. Big thanks to those delivering our goods too.

• Agree 8

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I do hope some of those making despicably impatient posts about a number of other shops read this and feel guilty. The me-me-me generation is alive and well and living in a dark corner of RMweb. 

To be fair, at least one of those shops had dire customer service BEFORE Covid...and I’d suggest 90% of people on here are more generation boomer than entitled Y

• RMweb Gold

Something that really amuses me is that during the lockdown/furlough I got customer service ranging from excellent to stunning (I’ve got no other words to describe one man bands who get bits to me in under 24 hours, let’s hear it for Railtec and Chivers/Five79) from all the various traders and manufactures I ordered bits from for my hobby (also the delivery services who kept the job moving).  On the other hand, larger operations failed to compete, such as the complete apathy I got from my (now ex.) insurance company when attempting to renew the house insurance.  The less said about the major UK company who attempt to supply my broadband connection and their pandemic customer service, the better.  

I’ll admit to spending more than I usually would in my local once they reopened (big hand for Monk Bar models please, you’re doing a grand job!).  I justified it as the money I would have otherwise spent on fuel and I decided they were in greater need of it than BP (besides which, that Bachmann Ransomes and Rapier crane is gorgeous).

Thanks for the initial post, when this eases up a bit and I’m next in your neck of the woods, I’ll pop in and spend some money.

Owain

Edited by Firecracker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've pretty much had a first rate service from all the online orders I've done. Hugely impressive under the circumstances. 

Thanks to all of the retail and manufacturers.

Ian

• Agree 1

I think every trader who has managed to keep going , often having to shift selling to an online platform deserves a lot of credit .I am  very appreciative of all the delivery services who have got orders to me . finally to all the customers who have carried on modelling and supporting their local model shops  

Prior to this pandemic I bought most of my needs from exhibition stands. With the changed situation we are now in and the fact that I am in a high risk group as far as infection is concerned, I have had to rely on delivered orders. I must say that I have received excellent service from a number of different retailers. I appreciate that they are having to put in many hours of what is effectively unpaid work in order to supply our needs and they all deserve our thanks and support. 

• Agree 2

I suppose that is in the nature of cottage industry suppliers that they tend to trade from home, nevertheless, regardless of the size and circumstances , all the small to medium suppliers I have dealt with since Covid restrictions have been commendably responsive and efficient.

We must continue to support them with orders, but should also pause to praise them for supporting us in difficult times.

Dart Castings, Scale Link, OO Works, Alan Gibson, Freestone/Howard Scenics, Cambrian Kits, Sankey Scenics, Clever Models, Andrew Stadden, Modelu, Lanarkshire Models and Peter's Spares have all given me great service over these difficult months. Many thanks and best wishes to them.