Burnstow Dock (inspired by Ipswich/Great Yarmouth)

Having been busy the last few days, I took the opportunity to read back over the thread again. One thing that strikes me from the various photographs - there will be no shortage of variety in building materials! Corrugated iron, wood, various colours of concrete, brick and stonework, and various types of iron/steel work. Fingers crossed that the whole will gel into something that looks feasible, if not prototypical!

Steve S

• Like 1

Updates - ish...

The whole trackplan in moving towards the back of the board by about 6cm; this still means the brick built Cranfield Bros building behind the upper floor extension over the tracks will still have a depth of around 4cm, rather than being a "flat" against the backscene as originally planned.

I've decided to shorten the overtrack extension of the Cranfield Brothers' building by the short bay at the right hand end, which makes the point easier to see (when operating) plus gives me an opportunity to model a formal entrance way into the building.

I've drafted a rough outline of the brewery for the rear right of the board. It will be 18cm wide where it sits over the tracks, and a total of 50cm in length. It's not an exact copy, but I am trying to capture the character of the architecture, with the unusual rooflines; usefully an older photo shows the higher level gantry which will cross the board at this end of the layout.

What I have referred to before as the 'Green' building will remain at the front edge, by the right hand end, acting as a scenic blocker and as an unloading facility for the brewery (high level acess). I am toying with the idea of it being finished in a more ornate architectural style to match the brewery.

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

William Bradford built a lot of breweries in a similar style to the Tolly Cobold one - you could certainly pinch elements from Hook Norton or Harvey's if they fitted the 'Green' building's size. I'm looking forward to seeing the models take shape.

• Informative/Useful 1

With thanks again to @ManofKent last night was spent down another interesting rabbit hole - by looking up William Bradford on Wikipedia, I got a list of all the breweries he designed and so lots of suggestions to search for images of similar buildings to the Tolly Cobold brewery. Including one only a few miles away from me in Bolton (The Crown Brewery) which sadly is no more...

Having saved lots of images, I can hopefully amalgamate features from several and create something vaguely realistic in looks!

Incidentally, I’ve only found two photos of the Hook Norton Brewery that aren’t taken from the same vantage point! It is like every photographer has come to the same conclusion about the “best” angle to photograph the complex from!

Steve S

In one of the railway magazines recently, 2mm scale drawings were provided based upon brewery buildings around Burton. To check my "PowerPointed" mock ups were sensible, I scanned them into my computer, imported one into PowerPoint and then increased the size until the scale on the drawing matched a 4mm scale I had previously drawn exactly to scale. (This sounds more complicated trying to describe than actually do!)

Basically I stretched the scan until the scale on the scan matched my pre-drawn scale to ensure I had enlarged from 2mm/foot to 4mm/foot...

Then, using the ability to draw standard shapes in PowerPoint (hereonin refered to as M$PP) I proceeded to create a library of graphic elements - columns, windows, doors etc which could be copied and repeated in order to replicate the whole drawing.

There's quicker ways to do this, I know. Except I don't!!

Printing off the resulting drawing allowed me to check it against rolling stock and other buildings, and I feel I now have a set of building blocks with which to draw up my own version of the Tolly Cobold Brewery by copying and pasting these elements as required - M$PP lets me align objects/groups of objects accurately, and this way I can easily produce accurate designs to work from. It may not quite be CAD-CAM, but it helps me accurately replicate Building elements, something seen in period industrial design.

I shall post up the results of my experiments in due course!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That idea to shift around architectural elements in MS PowerPoint is fantastic, and definitely one I'll be stealing at some point. I'm never quite happy with what I scratchbuild because something's always slightly off, but this might save me a lot of hassle with pencils and rulers (not that I don't enjoy that mind you). I'm looking forward to seeing what you've concocted with it.

I should add that I always enjoy coming back to this thread, mainly to see what tangent you've gone on next! It also always provides plenty of inspiration, and something must have stuck because now I've been having my own thoughts... this could be dangerous!

On 22/04/2021 at 00:44, TechnicArrow said:

That idea to shift around architectural elements in MS PowerPoint is fantastic, and definitely one I'll be stealing at some point. I'm never quite happy with what I scratchbuild because something's always slightly off, but this might save me a lot of hassle with pencils and rulers (not that I don't enjoy that mind you). I'm looking forward to seeing what you've concocted with it.

You'll have seen hand drawn building mockups earlier in the thread, @TechnicArrow, which I am happy with to get an overall impression. As you say, though, pencils, rules and set squares are hassle (even using my late Father's portable draughting board) and moreover time consuming when it comes to repetitive shapes. In the past, I have cut a template for a window out of plasticard and used that to speed up the drawing process, but it is still far too easy to end up with wonky items!

I should really try to get to grip with Inkscape but "time is fleeting" and I have a working knowledge of M$PP! Here are a few tips, if I may make them:

1) Create a building "template" document and simply use this as a starting point for different documents - this will save you hours (see below)

2) Set your template document to measure in mm, and "snap objects" (it may have changed its name in more recent versions) to assist aligning items

3) On the first blank slide, create various shapes using the shapes tool - rectangles, triangles, semi-circles etc. In other words, the majority of elements needed to create your drawings

4) Select ALL : turn shadow effects OFF : set fill to solid white (or whatever colour you prefer) : set edge lines to black : set line thickness to QUARTER POINT

5) Save your document!

You have now created the PowerPoint equivalent of a CAD library! Whenever you wish to draw eg a rectangle, copy and paste it from the rectangle in the library, and then resize it accordingly. Of course, as soon as you have any library element on the page (slide) you are working on, you can copy that too!

6) Become really good friends with the shape formatting tools, particularly the ALIGN tools and the PLACEMENT tools (move to back/front, move forward/backward) - use them to assemble your drawings out of layered shapes, and GROUP items together to lock their relationship to each other into place. Grouped objects (eg a window plus its surrounding treatment) can be copied into a separate page (slide) to create an architectural elements library!

7) M$PP doesn't do drawing layers (sucks yar boo) but if you DUPLICATE A SLIDE then everything will align perfectly between slides - you can use this to create eg cutting layers to work out what shape is needed to cut out of card to create door recesses, pillar detail etc

If you knew all that about M$PP then my apologies for teaching grandma how to suck an egg, but if any of the above helps then it was worth the time to type!

On 22/04/2021 at 00:44, TechnicArrow said:

I should add that I always enjoy coming back to this thread, mainly to see what tangent you've gone on next! 

Strangely enough, so do I! :lol:

Seriously, it is the contributions of fellow RMWebbers that makes a thread interesting to write because their knowledge and expertise - sometimes simply their familiarity with a subject - can instigate a new direction for me to explore. Burnstow Dock was originally intended to be built using Scalescenes warehouses, the freebie grain silo from the Hornby magazine etc (see entry 15 Jan), and MkV of the plan (19 Jan) even has a rear profile sketch based upon those ideas. It was input (elsewhere) that sent me exploring Ipswich docks, and the finished layout will, I guess, have an awful lot of elements from there in the buildings, even if not "arranged" in the right order! I thank all the RMWeb contributors to the thread for sending me down many interesting rabbit holes, the most recent being brewery designs of William Bradford.

If the thread is giving you some ideas of your own, I can't wait to see them! For example, your working Coles crane ... that is simply something beyond my ability to even understand how it works, never mind actually build it!

For the moment, I am pretty tightly focused on what I am doing with Burnstow Dock, so there shouldn't really be many more divertissiments here - but that depends upon what @Angliacan or @ManofKent might post up to distract me! :lol:

HOURS OF FUN! 

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected typos (as usual) and name change of layout
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

If you knew all that about M$PP then my apologies for teaching grandma how to suck an egg, but if any of the above helps then it was worth the time to type!

I'm afraid that as someone from '99 who practically grew up with MSPP being a thing I'm already quite versed with it, but I'm certain it will be of help to someone.

As for card mockups, yours are far better than mine ever are - they actually stand up for a start! It depends on how much effort you put into them I guess, and I'm slowly learning that more effort in the mockups means less unhappiness with the final results. But then again I find the making of the buildings is the best bit, so I don't mind replacing and redoing things occasionally!

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

If the thread is giving you some ideas of your own, I can't wait to see them!

I'm planning a trip to the local model shop soon, so I should hopefully have something to show over the weekend. At the moment I'm just gathering a wide variety of ideas from all over the place, and trying to fit them all together - I'm going to have to discard some, I just have to decide which ones...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

I'm afraid that as someone from '99 who practically grew up with MSPP being a thing

Aw, you didn't experience the utter joy of life before M$ Office products, then! Ah, those were the days, when WordPerfect appeared to be the best thing since bread was sold sliced!

I sidestepped all the ZX Spectrum/Atari/BBC Model B programming malarky as being for those with a penchant for pain! In retrospect, I missed out on being at the forefront of IT - by now I would probably already be retired and extremely wealthy, like the guy in my class at school! :huh:

Then again, he wasn't into railway modelling, so he may be rich but he won't be happy! :lol:

HOURS OF CODING FUN!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Progress - what progress?! :mda:

No supply work this week, but hard at it doing manual odd jobs at the Music Centre plus a couple of job applications and have had neither the will nor energy to do anything more on this (or any of my other micro layouts).

And I refuse to be sucked into a veritable black hole that sucks up all my free time, which is what would happen if I succumb to watching Line of Duty from the first episode of the first series... Am I the only one to have not watched this crime drama? Am I the only person who upon hearing the question, "Who do you think H is?" instantly replies, "He sings with Steps, everybody knows that, there's no 'think' involved!" :unsure::rolleyes::lol:

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typo spotted months later!

Today has been somewhat retrospective, mainly due to appalling toothache meaning I have drugged myself up to the eyeballs on painkillers! Thinking about the Music Centre where I have been odd-jobbing this past week, I have realised something ...

I loved woodwork at secondary school. As in, I loved the idea of learning skills that would enable me to build decent baseboards! I also hated woodwork at secondary school. As in, I wasn't taught any useful skills, just how to make a breadboard (in my case for French loaves, because my planing wasn't parallel until most of the wood had disappeared), and how to design and make a "sports trophy" - mine ended up miniscule, for "hand gliding", again due to problems planing. Years later I was told by a joinery lecturer that my planing issues were probably due to getting sweat on the wood off my own hands!

I still enjoyed making things though, firstly from "contiboard" (a cupboard, bookshelves, a computer music workstation) then later with mdf (a keyboard stand, a huge bookcase for my kids' books, fireplace surrounds, Christmas banqueting tables!!), but the success of these was mainly down to my ability to plan accurately and having access to the woodcutting services of B&Q etc, where they utilise great, big, rail-mounted, dust-extraction-fitted behemoths to accurately cut your materials!

Meanwhile, the Music Centre Library was short of shelves for its metal racking system to make most efficient use of the space, so I designed and had cut extra wooden shelves and supports for the bottom of each unit. Fitting them needed the wood trimming to fit - and so I was back into having to hand saw, plane, sand etc. Some dozen shelves later, my skills had definitely improved ... a bit.

Then, in March 2020, we moved to our new home, the first where we had sole use of the premises (not sharing with a school). It had previously been used as a dance/drama school, and not only had every window been covered with blackout shutters (made of 18mm thick mdf) but one room had a false wall constructed with sheet plywood and timber framing. None of it was required by the Music Service, so was all taken down by our builders in preparation to be skipped!

At this point, I made an enquiry as to whether the "false wall" boards might be donated to a local model railway society - 6mm ply on 1.5 inch battoning, each measuring 8 feet by 4 feet, "instant" baseboards! Agreement was given, I contacted someone from the society ... and Covid happened!

When staff were finally allowed to return in August, it was realised that we needed a lot of shelving for storing instruments etc. My boss was fretting about the cost of metal racking etc after losing most of the revenue for the year, so I suggested using any "scrap" materials we already had. So it fell upon myself to build and install new shelving, sometimes into newly created areas, sometimes adapting existing store rooms; I used off-cut joists (from new internal stud walls being built) to create strong stand-alone storage units capable of storing heavy instruments such as tubas; off-cut work surfaces were adapted into computer tables; I boxed in plumbing, boilers etc with doors for access; all from the 'scrap' wood. 

Very off topic, but one thing stands out in retrospect ... the success of my woodwork structures is due to the basic principles of baseboard construction - framing for form, bracing to prevent flex, glue and screw for strength!

This last week I have been tackling tasks I have never attempted before, such as trimming doors after new carpets have been fitted etc. And I have noticed that my woodworking skills have at last improved! I can at last hand saw in a straight line, and even with a straight cut down through the timber! Building new racking to store double basses has also been an excellent exercise in problem solving and accurate sawing, plus fastening items safely and securely to walls - I remember in our first home my (ex)wife commenting that a wall looked as if it had been machine-gunned due to the number of abandoned holes drilled in it for shelf supports! 

I have two wooden baseboards in use - one for Blackford Wharf [now Burnstow Dock} and the other for Castlebrook Sidings [now Blackford Wharf]. They were originally a single 7 foot long baseboard, which I built because I was worried about baseboard joins! Having been cut down, they are - as far as I can tell - flat and level, and so will serve for these, my first attempts at proper layouts.

But what I have learnt this week is that skills improve with practice. The next time I build a wooden baseboard, I will have learnt from these experiences, and build better boards. And that applies, of course, to every aspect of railway modelling...

• Right now, my soldering skills are virtually non existant - that will change with DRS Engineering as I sort out wiring it up for power!
  • Right now, my skills at making model structures is limited - that will change with DRS Engineering as I adapt Scalescenes kits, and improve further with Blackford Wharf [Burnstow Dock] as I scratch build structures, learning from my experience.
  • Right now, my skills at creating scenery is also non existant - that will change with DRS Engineering for urban scenery, and with Castlebrook Sidings [Blackford Wharf] for more rural surroundings
  • Both Blackford Wharf and Burnstow Dock will have me attempting to model water for the first time too, one being a canal and the other an enclosed dock.
  • Right now, my painting skills are also almost non existant - that will change with all three layouts, together with using my airbrush (for the first time) for scenery.
  • Right now, repainting locos or stock or applying weathering seems an unattainable goal - but what I have learnt through my wood working is that skills will develop over time with practice!

I may not have done any modelling this weekend, but I have never felt so confident about myself and what I might be able to achieve in the future*.

HOURS OF FUN!

* Or maybe it's the drugs!! :laugh_mini:

Edited by SteveyDee68
Issues with editor for punctuation! Layout names updated
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Crikey - looking at the date above I've realised that not only have I not posted anything but that I haven't done anything either! Having said that, life gets in the way - dentistry, working in Wigan (which is a pain in the backside to get to from where I am) and generally feeling a bit run down, and nothing has progressed...

I have to admit that such feelings of frustration are compounded when looking at how others such as @TechnicArrow have been forging ahead with their layouts! Various non-modelling jobs to do today, but then I am determined to do some modelling later! 

Of course, the road to hell has always been paved with good intentions!

HOURS OF FUN!

If it's any consolation, I was planning on doing some modeling yesterday, but I only had the energy to write about it. 

Life does get in the way a lot and add to that health, (not to mention disappearing done a Google rabbit hole about the latest interest to tickle my fancy ) it can become frustrating when you see others forging ahead. However, I do take their efforts as inspiration; and your ramblings always strike a chord close to home in an amusing way. 

Edited by Multigauge
Poor Grandma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update:

Go to Jail - Do not pass Go - Do not collect £200

Which is my weird way of announcing that tripping and knocking your mocked up baseboard over when the track isn't fastened down is a really quick method of pressing the "reset" button on a project...

Currently various disconnected chunks of pointage are sat on the board awaiting reassembling...

Strangely enough, I'm going to have to read back through the thread to remember what went where - I have a rough idea, but there have been so many iterations!

Oh well. As I usually say...

HOURS OF FUN!

And the last photo I have of the trackplan was when I realised that the toes of the points did not line up!! This is going to take a while...

Think I'll go to work and try to forget about it for a few hours!!

After 'boardageddon' there was nothing for it but to reassemble the track work as best I could remember it. Fortunately, the interleaved pointwork was intact...

For some strange reason I placed the track back so that the main loop ran diagonally across the board from front to back at 12 degrees (as per a PECO point angle), with various sidings adjusted appropriately to end up parallel with the edges of the baseboard. In the process I also ended up stealing @TechnicArrow's idea of the conveyor belt running from rear to front of the board in the middle of the board length, effectively separating the baseboard into two scenes. With my existing mock ups of buildings back in place, I walked away and left it for a few days.

Returning to it tonight, I was unhappy with the revised track plan - it left a huge amount of dead space to be covered by the Cranfield Bros building. After more rejigging, raiding my spare track box for points once again, I have ended up with a track layout more like my most recent version prior to 'boardageddon', but with the buildings swapped end for end (but keeping the R&W Paul building and conveyor in the centre). 

The biggest change is that I suddenly have a double track entry from the fiddle yard at the left end (like the tracks entering the Ipswich Wet Dock quay) and so a new opportunity to run 'through' trains straight across the whole layout. Of course, this would mean having to construct two fiddle yards, or perhaps one traverser and a simple fiddle stick at the other end. Leastways, I can think about running longer trains through the scene to be dealt with elsewhere - oil tanks, fish vans etc - although I imagine limiting them in length to say 10 SWB wagons to prevent the offstage areas dominating! (And of course, my original plan to run from a single fiddle yard/traverser at one end is still the main objective). Stretching the bounds of credibility a little, perhaps I might even be able to run a container train through to the new terminal built just off stage?! Rule One applies (aka I have amassed a fair few Triang container wagons and it provides impetus to get them detailed up!)

I took photos on the iPad of the two most recent versions, but it ran out of juice so I will upload here ASAP! I should also draw up a new track plan and scan it in for safe keeping (just in case, well, you know...)

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

Posted these images into @TechnicArrow's thread for ideas for the scenic treatment of his micro, but posting them again here because I've somehow deleted them off my own computer and they turn out to be very useful sources of inspiration for me, too!

For the right end of the layout - pinching the tower and chimney and drafting them onto the right hand end of my mock up of the Cranfield Bros building (with the extensions over the siding):

MILL 1.jpg

This illustration usefully shows the silo building (at the left end) straddling the sidings on pillars - this could be useful indeed for the left end of the layout where the brewery/maltings are now located, with the tall tower acting as a visual 'end stop' to the layout (and balancing the tower at the right hand end):

MILL 2.jpg

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added photos

Correction - that tower needs to be at the left hand end of the Cranfield Bros building... here's the photo suitably flipped horizontally. The little office building etc will also work well to lead the eye towards the centre of the layout after the tower itself.

IMG_1946.PNG

Not the latest version - but the photo I took has vanished! 

For reference, these two photos show the layout with the loop running diagonally across the board,,,

Note the central position of the conveyor to the loading gantry...

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1943.JPG

• Like 4

All my track is Code 100, whether PECO or Hornby...

Well, except for the single yard length of PECO Code 75 that I got out of curiousity ... but that's not relevant as it is nowhere near the layout!

So, I am left wondering why some rail joints cause my stock to jolt about like cars hitting the potholes on Greater Manchester roads, and others are seamlessly smooth?

Is there a profile difference between Hornby/PECO settrack and PECO Streamline that I am oblivious to?!

Blackford Wharf and DRS Engineering exclusively use settrack from both PECO and Hornby, and there are no issues with them, whereas Burnstow Dock mixes and matches track ranges... Is this where I am going wrong? Or am I missing something even more obvious?

Any advice gratefully received...

HOURS OF FETTLING FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Layout name changes

• 1 month later...

Just a small update … and also time to consider next moves …

As the board is already built, I’m treating the top surface as being “water level” for the quayside. So now, rather than cut out for the dock I need to build up the “dockside” …

I tried building a mock section using 5mm foam board, using a sliding vertical blade to ensure right angled edges. Glued together on a glass cutting board and used Lego corners to keep everything vertical. Bearing in mind, I only want a scale gap of around 2 feet between water and quayside (8-10mm), creating a boxed section from the foam board was relatively simple - but I am not totally happy with the top surface.

I saved polystyrene packaging tiles/sheets from some mirrors I put up at work - these have the right amount of thickness, and have been manufactured so are consistent in depth etc. I’ve placed them on my board, with the track placed on top so as to plan where the dock edges will be. The front edge will be faced with 2mm mounting board, as will the top surface, before using suitable textures from Scalescenes to finish both off appropriately.

Now, somebody needs to tell me why this is a bad idea before I glue the sheets down; I’m going to assume that someone has tried this before somewhere, and if so there is probably a cautionary tale attached! I’d rather know about the pitfalls in advance (don’t spill solvent on it etc!), so if anybody has tried this or knows somebody who has, especially if it has resulted in failure, please (please!) let me know so I don’t trundle off down a blind alley!

HOURS OF FUN!

188C1F09-0623-4493-B59F-79D6488CFB36.jpeg

The above photo shows the most recent alignment of the track.

The lower photo shows the depth of the polystyrene packaging…

B5BF4440-91B4-4E74-BF03-DE7DCA1C529F.jpeg

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added photos; added missing text!
  • Like 4

Well, it’s been a few days and nobody has got in touch to say “Don’t do it - using that stuff will cause you massive issues” or similar and so today is the day that glue will be applied and the foam will be weighted down…

There may be tears before bed time … :scratchhead:

HOURS OF FUN!

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2021 at 08:37, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, it’s been a few days and nobody has got in touch to say “Don’t do it - using that stuff will cause you massive issues” or similar and so today is the day that glue will be applied and the foam will be weighted down…

There may be tears before bed time … :scratchhead:

HOURS OF FUN!

Re: the above text in bold ...

Needless to say, it wasn't!!

This layout is currently sat off to one side of the loft with various items piled on top whilst I reorganise my modelling area. However, a new bench built in the centre of the loft will, once I have assembled the new baseboard for Blackford Wharf, be where I can work on this safe in the knowledge that tall buildings will not be restricted by the sloping angle of the roof!

HOURS OF FUN!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Change of layout name
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve. Only just caught up on this thread, the only thing I would say is I’m sure I have read/seen somewhere that if you run PVC coated wiring through polystyrene one attacks the other, something to do with the plasticisers, and you end up with a gooey mess. Might be worth a quick google before you start 

Steve aka Ramrig.

PS still not finished my Skirted Drewry 04 yet. Still in primer and it’s for a very long in the future Wisbech based layout along with my J70 tram. I will look out who I purchased the 3D printed parts off and post on here if that’s ok with you?

Edited by Ramrig
Punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1