Cottesmore Sidings. 

I must be a gluten for punishment with another project on the go but with increasing time in the office and at home with the family, time to continue on with my larger loft layout is very limited so I’ve took the choice to make myself a little siding. 

This will be a more industrial look, almost resembling a slice of a depot somewhere and somewhere to stable  few noisy tractors. 

Baseboards are 4x1 scenic & 2x1 fiddle all by Tim Horn, the 2x1 fiddle yard board is due to be replaced by a full scenic which will be placed backwards for a flush front and the ability to insert a DCC Concepts mimic panel, controller hookups & their alpha meter on the front which hopefully will give it a really nice appearance. 

I have concrete sleeper code 75 with medium electrofrog points all from PECO, I have an idea in my head of how it should look but we’ll see how it goes. 

After watching a few layouts from Alex Hill develop in a small space as well as the infamous “sidings” on here and various goes on minories, it’s time to have a go in a small space.

This will be my first attempt of a “layout” using code 75 so I’m really looking forward to building this. I have inserted a track plan in the images below. 

70A1519F-A7A5-4F43-8750-0BAEB776E503.jpeg

7FD5C597-BCB5-4B02-A716-352C5DB67C52.jpeg

BF83DE8A-DA77-461D-92CD-01F008AEC5BC.jpeg

Edited by CottesmoreRail
Formatting.
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
13 minutes ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Following this build.
I am the infamous Alex Hill.....

Seriously this looks like a great project, simple but very fun to run trackplan

Nice to see you on here Alex,and looking great David...

cheers neil

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Nice to see you on here Alex,and looking great David...

cheers neil

Hi Neil.

If you go onto my profile you may see the early stages of Oakford Lane, thread has been dormant for months but might be worth having a look. 

• Friendly/supportive 1
5 minutes ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Hi Neil.

If you go onto my profile you may see the early stages of Oakford Lane, thread has been dormant for months but might be worth having a look. 

Yer ile take look thanks Alex my good frend..

• Friendly/supportive 1
Posted (edited)

As the paint dries, here’s the look I was after. I’ve now painted the fiddle yard, scenic board and my small supporting board (yet to be decided on what to do with this) 

All the paint is from B&Q;

Blue - Dulux First Dawn

Grey - B&Q’s Mid Grey

Black - Dulux Rich Black

54347D53-4484-4C52-9EC0-B6E29834B165.jpeg

CC8EEBBF-46B3-47B5-BC54-48C376AE09C6.jpeg

5C108988-FCC7-4669-9D1B-D780207EA4D6.jpeg

Edited by CottesmoreRail
Formatting
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

After having the paint dry overnight fully I decided to place a few bits to see how it would look.

Background warehouses are a laser cut kit from eBay but the scale seems off for me when stood against the 08. 

7089B4C1-40F9-4BB3-857B-0E1B1B11C943.jpeg

7A962F7D-F07B-4C2B-B54D-7F20FAAF6A9E.jpeg

Edited by CottesmoreRail
Formatting
  • Like 2

Good start .

I’d agree they may be a bit small for warehouses but probably ok for industrial units 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

Either that or maybe as an annex / offices / staff area to a warehouse, with a increase in height (probably just corrugated sheeting) against the backboard? 

Boards look excellent as usual, looking forward to seeing a mini-Cottesmore as I really enjoyed watching the build of the original TMD

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RPNaylor0301 said:

Either that or maybe as an annex / offices / staff area to a warehouse, with a increase in height (probably just corrugated sheeting) against the backboard? 

Boards look excellent as usual, looking forward to seeing a mini-Cottesmore as I really enjoyed watching the build of the original TMD

Ahhh so you’re the one who watches! 

thanks! 

• Funny 1

The lights are now installed, the first ones weren’t right so I’ve gone for some strip LED’s I think it gives a nice even lighting affect

Ignore the out of place servicing point ... 

1218B437-94F7-4145-8502-C2E40E7F930B.jpeg

Edited by CottesmoreRail
Formatting.
  • Like 5

Framing of what will be the filler based hardstanding as I did on my previous shelf, I’ll leave this frame in place for a few days now just to see how I feel about the shape and depth. 

5F3FE329-E28D-4B86-BBD8-D23A1250D2C3.jpeg

2EF5A435-F71A-4D4F-AAEE-84F46B529BFD.jpeg

3AE80482-A1CC-4640-8E4D-D30C56B3E288.jpeg

Edited by CottesmoreRail
Formatting
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Before I start on the hardstanding I’ve placed down what I think are the buildings il be using on the shelf. 

Mix of eBay kits & Bachmann scenecraft with a splattering of ten Commandments thrown in as well. 

Whilst this would be more likely a hand operated set of sidings, I’ve gone for something more automated. 

My only question is around the trunking, does anyone have an idea of how this MAY look? Is what I’ve put on about right? 

9D14CE07-D584-425A-A3EA-0E52A1180034.jpeg

CBD30F34-B142-42F0-B190-1969F661279D.jpeg

917CD3E8-7EDE-4192-8CEA-4E46A7A7655E.jpeg

Edited by CottesmoreRail
Formatting
  • Like 3

Looks quite new !

ive tried many types of concrete paint - best colour I’ve found was green scenes , but I’ve also had a lot of success mixing wickes tester pots 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Looks quite new !

ive tried many types of concrete paint - best colour I’ve found was green scenes , but I’ve also had a lot of success mixing wickes tester pots 

I originally went to B&Q but they’ve changed all the colours again and had no taster pots in. 

I need to add some powders but most of the shelf won’t be weathered anyway.  

As we go onto another lockdown I think layouts will see tremendous acceleration throughout the country and peco selling out of stuff once more !

• Agree 2