MR Deeley 0-6-4T Flatiron as built, what's this part called?

I have a fully built model of the above but in 40 years of storage, the part indicated in the photo has been lost. Can someone give me a name for it and, even better, where I could source a 4mm replacement?

Thanks in anticipation.

image.png.284580e3bb37c6ea1db41145dea1de2e.png

I produce 3D printed locos and parts for CamKits and could do a one off for you. I would have to produce the artwork but judging by the design wouldn’t take long. Could print it with my next batch of prints.1223615826_Coachfittings2.jpg.7b81f2003eeea10862cc0df3561de5d9.jpg

Queen&Etch.jpg

Edited by animotion
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good drawings or overhead views of this style of safety valve cover are a bit hard to come by. The oval "tin" hides from view the pair of Ramsbottom safety valves and spring and the bit sticking up behind is an additional lock-up safety valve, set to lift at 5 psi higher than the Ramsbottom valves. This arrangement was introduced with the Belpaire 4-4-0s (with a cover closer in outline to the inverted trumpet cover used for the lock-up valve on earlier boilers). The plainer style came in with later batches of the Belpaires and the first Compounds; it was also used on the round-topped H boiler (as fitted to the Flatirons) and on the boilers used to re-boiler various S&DJR engines in the early years of the 20th century. On these round-topped boilers, the cover sits on a flat plinth, pear-shaped in plan. (But with straight sides - perhaps more like a cam than a pear?) Later Belpaire boilers of all sizes - such as used to rebuild standard goods engines to 3F and 2F Belpaire configuration and on the 483 Class 4-4-0s, along with the Deeley Compounds and 999s - dispensed with the oval cover, leaving the Ramsbottom valves in full view. There was some experimentation with Ross Pop valves after the Great War but these didn't become standard until LMS days.

Ref. S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 1 (Irwell Press, 2000) pp. 64-66.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

You mean that, at some date, the covers were removed?

As long as the Flatirons had their original round-topped H boilers, they had the cover, as seen here. Only when rebuilt with superheated Belpaire G7S boilers did they have exposed Ramsbottom (later, Ross pop) safety valves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As long as the Flatirons had their original round-topped H boilers, they had the cover, as seen here. Only when rebuilt with superheated Belpaire G7S boilers did they have exposed Ramsbottom (later, Ross pop) safety valves.

Reason that I asked is that I have a Wills Flatiron somewhere. It was my first ever locomotive kit, built when I was about 14.

I can't remember which type of firebox it has but, when I find it, I would like to make it a "Rule One" locomotive as they were withdrawn earlier than the period that I now model (when mojo/work/money permits). But that won't be possible if it has the wrong boiler/firebox.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Reason that I asked is that I have a Wills Flatiron somewhere. It was my first ever locomotive kit, built when I was about 14.

I can't remember which type of firebox it has but, when I find it, I would like to make it a "Rule One" locomotive as they were withdrawn earlier than the period that I now model (when mojo/work/money permits). But that won't be possible if it has the wrong boiler/firebox.

Well, it would be Rule 1 in either case!

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Alan Gibson 4M747 MR ‘H . type’ boiler safety valve

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have a Wills Flatiron somewhere

I recall my original kit from 40 years ago was Wills, it had a Belpaire boiler and I paid someone at the time to retro-adjust to the original round top, including sourcing the safety valve.

@PenrithBeacon, found it thanks, and will order.

@Compound2632, all I wanted was the part name and source and I end up with a whole lot of extra knowledge as I often do from your posts, fascinating.

Cheers all.

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 05/10/2020 at 11:06, Compound2632 said:

Good drawings or overhead views of this style of safety valve cover are a bit hard to come by. The oval "tin" hides from view the pair of Ramsbottom safety valves and spring and the bit sticking up behind is an additional lock-up safety valve, set to lift at 5 psi higher than the Ramsbottom valves. This arrangement was introduced with the Belpaire 4-4-0s (with a cover closer in outline to the inverted trumpet cover used for the lock-up valve on earlier boilers). The plainer style came in with later batches of the Belpaires and the first Compounds; it was also used on the round-topped H boiler (as fitted to the Flatirons) and on the boilers used to re-boiler various S&DJR engines in the early years of the 20th century. On these round-topped boilers, the cover sits on a flat plinth, pear-shaped in plan. (But with straight sides - perhaps more like a cam than a pear?) Later Belpaire boilers of all sizes - such as used to rebuild standard goods engines to 3F and 2F Belpaire configuration and on the 483 Class 4-4-0s, along with the Deeley Compounds and 999s - dispensed with the oval cover, leaving the Ramsbottom valves in full view. There was some experimentation with Ross Pop valves after the Great War but these didn't become standard until LMS days.

Ref. S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 1 (Irwell Press, 2000) pp. 64-66.

I know this thread is pretty old but I thought I'd add that there is an overhead view of this style of safety valve cover in Derby Works Drawing 06-6965 titled 'Clothing Arrangement'. The drawing is specific to the 0-6-4T Flatirons and a copy can be viewed at the National Railway Museum Archives at York, though the catalogue does not specify the locomotive class.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2