Seaton Station

ikcdab

We’ve all been waiting for drawings for years, and Railway Modeller published a set a few months back - I’m out, so can’t check which month.

I don’t think it’s right to call it Deco really, possibly more ‘moderne’, but whatever the right term is, it’s a brilliant little piece of fit-for-purpose design. You need to study the track-plan and how the station operated to really get your head round how cleverly it used the site.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

We’ve all been waiting for drawings for years, and Railway Modeller published a set a few months back - I’m out, so can’t check which month.

I don’t think it’s right to call it Deco really, possibly more ‘moderne’, but whatever the right term is, it’s a brilliant little piece of fit-for-purpose design. You need to study the track-plan and how the station operated to really get your head round how cleverly it used the site.

Thanks. I've just ordered British Railway Journal No 37 which apparently has an article about it. I await with anticipation!

I have the RM digital archive so will plough back. Edit: just found it, June 2020.

Thanks

Ian

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The architecture is a kind of ‘domesticated-Bauhaus-moderne’, which is what LT architecture tended to move towards for suburban stations, so there is a similarity. TBH, it was a generally popular style for public buildings in the 30s, and I think that if it is well-maintained it stands the test of time exceedingly well - it doesn’t ‘date’ in the way that very high styles do.