Finnish Railways (5ft and 2ft 6in gauges)

rue_d_etropal

As I have a family connetion with Finland(one of my sons lives there), it was inevitable that I would eventually get interseted in the railways of Finland. When I visited last year I was very impressed with the railways and the trams in Helsinki. Unfortunately I did not have time to get to railway museum(opening times wew a bit odd), but I did start to do some research. Not so easy as Google searches in English only brought up limited reseources, so resorted to using both Finnish and Swedish and found a lot more.

I did find this Swedish forum which possibly explains reasons for less interest in modelling Finnish railways.

https://www.svensktmjforum.se/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=100qe80ancp58mons3pld89q86hug548&topic=12862.25

As Finnish gauge is 5ft , it might be a bit more difficult than European standard gauge, but that is part of the fun. I looked at the options. In HO the gauge works out at 17.5mm , so not that much different(less different than modelling some broad gauge lines), and my reducing scale down to 1/92, the gauge comes out correct, and soe HO accssories could still be used.

Then I looked at other scales.

1/48th scale is an option as 32mm comes outvery close, and a lot of American steam engines were used on Finnish railways. There is also some simlarity in pine forrexsts/scenery etc beteeen Finland and America. It woul also be possible to model the 2ft 6in gauge usin some of the On30 models already available.

Another scale that might work is 1/35th scale, as that works out near to 45mm gauge so could use G1 wheels and track. Also some Russian wagon kits available, and plenty of accessessories from kit manufacturers such as Miniart and ICM .

I have made a start with some 3D printed designs startin with the first diesel railcar the Ds1. One is preserved.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_finland-trains1.htm

My next railcar will be the newer Dm7 , which is very similar to the classic Swedish Y6/7 railcars, one of which is preserved on the Nene Valley Railway. I found a drawing of the Dm7, but only side and end, so the front curviture  would be tricky to work out, then by using a Swedish Google search I found a website(ist one I clicked on!!) with drawings if the Swedish versions. Most importantly the drawings had dimensions, and it showed that the Finnish versions were 80cm shorter . The front ends looked the same. There were more variants in the Swedish version, but both has control trailer variants, and it would be possible to work out what the Finnish one looked like(not just shorter, but someother minor differences).

I shall probably build a small diorama style layout, but with so many projects , I am not sure when yet. Railcars don't need much railway to run on, but it would be nice to include some steam locos, maybe some narrow gauge.

finnish-ds1-railcar-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
spell check
  • Informative/Useful 2

just completed design for the Finnish Dm7 railcar, 3 versions .
The original was based on the standard Swedish railcar, but there were differences(shorter), apart from track gauge.
Firstly the passenger railcar, then a trailer car with a luggage/goods area, and then there were some goods only units which were conversions. I have also found a slightly different version of the trailer unit with bigger doors, but have not done that version, yet,as Ionly discovered it by chance with one photo and have not found any other info about it.
I have also added anothe scale/gauge, 1/144 using 10.5mm gauge track as there are military models in that scale, and some N gauge scenery items could be adapted.
I might consider doing the Swedish versions as I have drawings for those.

finnish-dm7-railcar-1a.jpg

finnish-dm7-railcar-trailer-1a.jpg

finnish-dm7-railcar-goods-trailer-1a.jpg