Class 68 and 70 on the GW & GC since 2016?

Tallpaul69

To simplify the build process (don't ask!) I am moving the basis of my soon to be built layout from the GW main line to the GW & CG around High Wycombe.

One benefit of this is that my modern era running can move forward from 2016 (before the overheads!) to somewhere between 2016- now!

However, I am not clear on the locos (I know about the multiple units) that would be found on the line in that time frame?

Particularly, what trains did/do class 68, apart from the Chiltern Rail ones, and class70 regularly haul on this line?

If no regular runs, what specials did they haul? 

Many thanks

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I think it’s safe to say that Class 70’s on the GW&GC are as rare as hens teeth as I’ve not heard of any working on the line or travelling light engine.  Apart from the Chiltern Class 68’s, the only regular freight workings are the Calvert “Binliners” workings which are Class 66’s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Chiltern Mainline services are powered by a small pool of mainly grey/silver 68s, as I think there are only a couple of Compass liveried ones that can work these trains. Everything else is 66s AFAIK, mainly DB and GBRF on open boxes, to Calvert. I don't think the binliners run anymore, so Freightliner is limited to the RHTT these days, not sure if they have the contract again this year, but the locos have to be tripcock fitted for the trip up the Amersham line, so there are only a handful of DB and Freightliner locos suitable.

The other services would be quad sets of 20s, pairs top and tail on tube stock deliveries to West Ruislip, and whatever on test and engineering trains. Railtours could throw up various locos, including steam.

Basically the line is a procession of dmus, interspersed with three 68s on push/pull diagrams, with around two or three landfill trains per day, shoehorned in between off peak services.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I think it’s safe to say that Class 70’s on the GW&GC are as rare as hens teeth as I’ve not heard of any working on the line or travelling light engine. 

Colas 70s have visited the Chiltern line a number of times on engineers trains, either for a possession somewhere on the line or working from Hinksey to the Paddington area. FL 70s have also done engineers in the past eg http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/48929486711/

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We used to get DC rail class 56's through here quite regularly, on the Willesden to Calvert spoil trains.

EWS/DB class 59's can sometimes turn up on the Northolt to Calvert binliner instead of a 66.

When the GW mainline is closed FGW HST set's are another regular.

Edited by simon b
  • Informative/Useful 1

I live near the line at Risborough 

The Calvert spoil & containerised waste trains generate class66s from the big 3 operators and have also had DC Rail in the past.

we also get the sandite trains out of Marylebone, originally DB but currently FL 66s 

for a time, the Mendip Aggregate workings to Oxford Parkway also travelled this way bringing more variety

Finally, as above, the S Stock moves to / from Ruislip. Mainly too & tailed HNRC class 20s but also sometimes a GBRF 66 at one end.

There have been occasional rail moves to / from the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway. Also occasional charter trains. Preserved locos moving to LU for Steam in the Met also pass through.

the NR test trains must visit too though I’ve not seen them

on diversions, we have had GW HSTs and  Virgin WC Voyagers

Recently, I think Colas have been running route learners over the line with 37s

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Go back a couple more years and you could also run Chiltern's "Green Goddess" water cannon unit, certainly one the more unusual units to roam the Chiltern line.

spacer.png

Of course if you want to be really silly, dont forget about "Scaz", Chilterns 01 shunter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was also a path for the GWR Night Riviera ECS in both directions since servicing transferred from OOC to Reading.

This is because it is important the train is the right way round in Cornwall but if it runs via Yeovil it has to reverse at Exeter. Running it via Oxford and the Chiltern line corrects this. Turning it on the Reading triangle would be too disruptive.

However, this has now been superceded by running along the GWML and making detour to turn it on the Greenford triangle thus avoiding GWR drivers having to sign the Chiltern line.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Other than black and decker boy about three up

He said HNRC..

semantics, but the LUL class 20’s arent the same... Blue, LUL white, Red and Metroplitans have been regulars, 20189/227 are much more regular and not owned by HNRC.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, adb968008 said:

He said HNRC..

semantics, but the LUL class 20’s arent the same... Blue, LUL white, Red and Metroplitans have been regulars, much more than HNRC.

Fair enough , I’m old enough to remember tired looking 37s taking tube stock up through aylesbury for refurb. They were interesting moves 

• Like 1