North End Road - WCML in N

DavidMcKenzie

North End Road is a small layout depicting the WCML based on the mid to late 90s. It is not modelled on any specific location, but loosely based on the outskirts of london, something to run the existing WCML stock from previous layouts, along with the upcoming releases like Revolutions 321 and 313s and the Farish intercity MK2fs. It would be nice to allow the layout itself to be 'generic' enough to allow it to change faces and run regional 156s and 158s (among others) on the slow lines to represent the midland and northern sections of the WCML as well. 

I initially looked into fintrax code 40 track. But unfortunately it does not look to be compatible with the older class 90s and 87s and the mid to late 90s on the WCML without 90s and 87s would always feel like something is missing. So code 55 will be used. 

The detailed section of the layout will be 1.5 m x 0.5 m (5 ft x 1 1/2 ft in old money I think) and will include a station, 4 through lines and 2 terminal lines. At one end the scenic break will be the station roof and at the other end the lines will disappear into tunnel mouths below a town scene. 

All the best,

Dave 

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
typo
  • Like 7

74253688_NorthEndRoad.JPG.86ab7b75686db135a5c3ee74e8835999.JPG

The track plan for the layout is shown above, nothing is fixed, but the plan so far is that in the foreground a car park and possibly scrub land before a low fence and behind it the railway starts. Then in the background a raised town scene above a retaining wall. Although it is almost straight a slight curve with a light cant will be added to the lines to add some interest. 

As always, I am open to any suggestions and the input from the forum helped me tremendously with my last project.  

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 8

The trackplan looks good. Maybe consider basing the station on Wembley Central and change the car park at the front for an LU line, with the sidings leading into (an off-scene) Wembley Yard)?

Edited by 37038
  • Thanks 1

Hi David,

This looks like an interesting layout in the making and I like the idea of flexibility with the location. With regards to the code 40 and the class 87's & 90's, the later China versions I understand should be ok. The thing about the wheelsets on the 87 & 90 is the diameter is to small. I am looking at changing all mine to larger wheels as used in the 47/57 which will be the finer profile.

Cheers

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hi David,

Nice idea for a layout.  The slight curve/cant should look really good.  Is your plan for the bay platform to be a terminus for inner suburban services?  Or cross London trains?

cheers

Ben A.

Why, are you considering a 2EPB :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, 37038 said:

The trackplan looks good. Maybe consider basing the station on Wembley Central and change the car park at the front for an LU line, with the sidings leading into (an off-scene) Wembley Yard)?

Wembley would make a great model. The only reason I went away from it was space. I just don't have space to do it justice. I have between 1.5 meters and 2 meters for the scenic section otherwise it just won't fit in our flat and looking at scale track plans I would need a lot more space.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi David,

This looks like an interesting layout in the making and I like the idea of flexibility with the location. With regards to the code 40 and the class 87's & 90's, the later China versions I understand should be ok. The thing about the wheelsets on the 87 & 90 is the diameter is to small. I am looking at changing all mine to larger wheels as used in the 47/57 which will be the finer profile.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the info Simon, that's good to know. Most of the models I have are china 90s and 87s, I think I only have one of each that is the older type and I could even look at getting two china donner's for those bodies. I might order a few sections of test track and a set of points because if it can work the code40 track does look good and with such a small layout I want to focus on the smaller details where possible. 

• Like 2

David 

Looks an interesting layout. I would be tempted to move the crossover to the end of the platform. At present the signal to protect the crossover would be under the station building and part of the platform unusable . A relocated crossover would allow for a train to be in the platform on the top through line, whilst another train passed around it using the crossover.

Regards 

Nick

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am tempted to try code 40, I may have an experiment at some point. With Dallam, the main benefit would be the crossovers in the middle of the layout, they should 40mph and are basically Pecos largest point which is nowhere near realistic for a 40mph crossover.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi David,

Nice idea for a layout.  The slight curve/cant should look really good.  Is your plan for the bay platform to be a terminus for inner suburban services?  Or cross London trains?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, 

I was trying to make it as open as possible, that gives a chance to run as much interesting stock as possible.

The 313 Euston to watford service was the first thing that came to mind when thinking about london services that ran close to the wcml, but along the wcml there are a number of workings I would also want to have the chance to replicate (using rule1) the bletchley to bedford bubbles and class 31s, the 101s that ran out to Bangor, the 156s at Preston, 158s at crewe, the list goes on and I don't want to limit myself too much. 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stivesnick said:

David 

Looks an interesting layout. I would be tempted to move the crossover to the end of the platform. At present the signal to protect the crossover would be under the station building and part of the platform unusable . A relocated crossover would allow for a train to be in the platform on the top through line, whilst another train passed around it using the crossover.

Regards 

Nick

Great spot Nick, I will update the track plan to do exactly as you suggest. Thanks for your help. 

10 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

I am tempted to try code 40, I may have an experiment at some point. With Dallam, the main benefit would be the crossovers in the middle of the layout, they should 40mph and are basically Pecos largest point which is nowhere near realistic for a 40mph crossover.

Cheers

Simon

Dallam would look superb with code 40 track and longer crossover's, but it is a bit late to be changing to track on Dallam now isn't it? And you've done such a cracking job on the layout that the crossover's being too short doesn't notice at all. 

1 minute ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Dallam would look superb with code 40 track and longer crossover's, but it is a bit late to be changing to track on Dallam now isn't it? And you've done such a cracking job on the layout that the crossover's being too short doesn't notice at all. 

Sorry my mistype, no not change Dallam trackwork. Have a small experiment on a small board to evaluate for future layouts. I could have gone down the code 40 route for Dallam but I decided to stick with code 55 as it was my first venture into N gauge.

If I went down the code 40 route I would probably make the points using copperclad sleepers and soldered assembly.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 87023Velocity said:

Sorry my mistype, no not change Dallam trackwork. Have a small experiment on a small board to evaluate for future layouts. I could have gone down the code 40 route for Dallam but I decided to stick with code 55 as it was my first venture into N gauge.

If I went down the code 40 route I would probably make the points using copperclad sleepers and soldered assembly.

Cheers

Simon

My mind races thinking about what your 'future layout' would look like and how good it would be, especially seeing as Dallam is your first n gauge layout. 

I think the first step for me is just to get my hands on some code40 track for a play without committing the layout either way for now. But I really do like the look of it. 

All the best,

Dave

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Thanks for the info Simon, that's good to know. Most of the models I have are china 90s and 87s, I think I only have one of each that is the older type and I could even look at getting two china donner's for those bodies. I might order a few sections of test track and a set of points because if it can work the code40 track does look good and with such a small layout I want to focus on the smaller details where possible. 

Hi David,

BR Lines do replacement wheels that are to the newer profile (that should be fine with code40) and they click in as a direct replacement - been handy for keeping a few Poole era locos running on Gresby ;)

Can’t wait to see the new layout develop.

Cheers

Simon

• Informative/Useful 2

This looks really good Dave! I absolutely loved Maid's Morton - the train through landscape feeling was absolutely spot on, as was the WCML 1990s atmosphere.

I wonder about a car park at the front though - this is pretty common on layouts, but it seems difficult to get right, especially in N. It seems easy to end up with too many cars that look too new (Oxford) - or modelling 1980s/90s cars in N becomes really hard work, with fiddly fettling of Shapeways prints. Graeme has done some amazing work modelling 90s cars from 3D prints, but I wouldn't fancy the work of filling a carpark with them finished to a high standard.

One thing you don't often see on layouts though is an empty carpark! Or perhaps just one or two cars left at the far end of a station car park on a Sunday ... A lot of the beauty of Maid's Morton, in my eyes, was the "less is more" look - it looked so realistic because it wasn't busy with detail - so that might be a nice way to apply that look to a station setting?

Justin

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, justin1985 said:

This looks really good Dave! I absolutely loved Maid's Morton - the train through landscape feeling was absolutely spot on, as was the WCML 1990s atmosphere.

I wonder about a car park at the front though - this is pretty common on layouts, but it seems difficult to get right, especially in N. It seems easy to end up with too many cars that look too new (Oxford) - or modelling 1980s/90s cars in N becomes really hard work, with fiddly fettling of Shapeways prints. Graeme has done some amazing work modelling 90s cars from 3D prints, but I wouldn't fancy the work of filling a carpark with them finished to a high standard.

One thing you don't often see on layouts though is an empty carpark! Or perhaps just one or two cars left at the far end of a station car park on a Sunday ... A lot of the beauty of Maid's Morton, in my eyes, was the "less is more" look - it looked so realistic because it wasn't busy with detail - so that might be a nice way to apply that look to a station setting?

Justin

That's a very good point Justin, I started by thinking what would be at a station and still allow viewing of the trains. I didn't really want the foreground to be taken by higher buildings. But a carpark isn't the easiest to model if it is full. Maybe an empty back end of a car park with just a car or two and a few shrubs up against the fence and would give the right feel without overwhelming. 

I will also start to look through old photos and see if I can find anything easier to model that would work as a foreground. I really don't like the idea of having to model a whole carpark of shapeways 3d prints now you mention it! 

Thanks and all the best,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

If this layout even approaches the quality of Maid's Morton then we are in for a treat..! 

For the area at the front, I'd be tempted to look at Google Maps satellite images or similar for inspiration.  There is so much land adjacent to railway fences that is just kind of 'nothingy' - overgrown yards, tatty hardstanding at the back of warehouses, untended 'wildlife corridors' between railway-owned land and that privately owned, brownfield land that hasn't been developed, etc etc.

Something like this: https://bit.ly/2HYvgPP

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ben A said:

Hi David,

If this layout even approaches the quality of Maid's Morton then we are in for a treat..! 

For the area at the front, I'd be tempted to look at Google Maps satellite images or similar for inspiration.  There is so much land adjacent to railway fences that is just kind of 'nothingy' - overgrown yards, tatty hardstanding at the back of warehouses, untended 'wildlife corridors' between railway-owned land and that privately owned, brownfield land that hasn't been developed, etc etc.

Something like this: https://bit.ly/2HYvgPP

cheers

Ben A.

The same approach would apply to the back of the layout. Lots of layouts have a row of shop fronts. The rear of shops and offices would be more common, with storage, parking and delivery areas. 

Nick

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2020 at 14:54, DavidMcKenzie said:

North End Road is a small layout depicting the WCML based on the mid to late 90s. It is not modelled on any specific location, but loosely based on the outskirts of london, something to run the existing WCML stock from previous layouts, along with the upcoming releases like Revolutions 321 and 313s and the Farish intercity MK2fs. It would be nice to allow the layout itself to be 'generic' enough to allow it to change faces and run regional 156s and 158s (among others) on the slow lines to represent the midland and northern sections of the WCML as well. 

I initially looked into fintrax code 40 track. But unfortunately it does not look to be compatible with the older class 90s and 87s and the mid to late 90s on the WCML without 90s and 87s would always feel like something is missing. So code 55 will be used. 

The detailed section of the layout will be 1.5 m x 0.5 m (5 ft x 1 1/2 ft in old money I think) and will include a station, 4 through lines and 2 terminal lines. At one end the scenic break will be the station roof and at the other end the lines will disappear into tunnel mouths below a town scene. 

All the best,

Dave 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the heads up from Maids Morton on the new thread, I’d missed this somehow!  Nice to see you have gone for a different challenge this time, but the layout track plan and ideas look good.  Cannot wait to see what you do with it.

I would agree with the other comments about changing the wheels on the 87s and 90s for more modern versions. I am planning on some of the BR Lines ones for my WCML electrics - which now number two 87s and three 90s!  I keep hoovering them up when I see them for decent prices, although the two Virgin examples both need repaints for the 1988-1990 period layout.  In my case it is a slightly different requirement however, as the layout will be 2mm Finescale, with handbuilt Code 40 pointwork, so the wheels have to be turned anyway for the different tolerances.

Keep going with the planning, it will be a superb setting for the Revolution 321s!

Rich

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the comments and tips, the track plan has been updated taking all of the advice onboard. Any further suggestions or comments would be greatly received. I think it is an improvement and changing the wheels on the 90s and 87s would allow the longer points and the finer track, both of which I think would add to the feel of the layout so I am going to give it a go. Picked up the last bits of wood needed for the baseboard and backscene, so things should start slowly moving forward over the coming weeks.  

1553456083_NorthEndRoad2.JPG.448b3fdf49e1251baddb0f5c3a8e8a18.JPG

all the best,

Dave

• Like 11

14 hours ago, porkie said:

Really like the look of this Dave, will you be going concrete sleeper track? 

Looking forward to seeing the boards being assembled and your next update 

Phil 

Hi Phil,

The layout will have track with concrete sleepers and I am really heading towards the idea of going for code 40 finetrax, mainly because the longer point work makes the track plan (on paper at least) look more realistic, the height of the rails and the sleeper spacing is also something that is slightly more realistic. I don't think it is a 'must' to switch from my old peco track, but on a small layout like this I have a chance to try something new and to improve my modelling skills compared to the last layout. 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My wood working skills leave a lot to be desired and I don't think I will make a carpenter anytime soon. But nice to be underway with something more than a cad drawing and an idea.

The baseboard feels sturdy at least. A wood veneer sheet that is flexible and paintable will go on as the final layer of the backscene and hopefully avoid the ripple marks that were visible in the corners of the last layouts backscene. 

IMG_20201009_215842.jpg.b12022daaf21a117aadf0b547694e5ca.jpg

It was also nice to see the track plan in 1:1 and put a few old buildings, walls, platforms, tunnel mouths and fences onto the layout to get a feeling for size and scale (none of them will be used in the final model, all just getting an idea of scale). I also seem to have salvaged enough ohle gantry's from the last layout, but they will need a lot of adjustment and reworking. 

IMG_20201010_223008.jpg.b00290a8b3f85223c4b97083d02dfe89.jpg

All the best,

Dave

• Like 10