Jump to content
USERS MAY EXPERIENCE SLOW PERFORMANCE, THIS IS DUE TO A DRIVE ISSUE WHICH IS BEING INVESTIGATED.

North End Road - WCML in N


Recommended Posts

The track is all resting in place with droppers on.

 

Looking 'north' to where the station will be

1361293926_IMG_20201204_1030402.jpg.e08c442b1c73a51bb081d45035f688df.jpg

 

Looking 'south' away from the station. Still unsure on exact platform lengths but the far side will need to be at least long enough to not look stupidly short with a 2car dmu in the bay. The other 4 lines are through lines that will be disappearing under a station roof eventually, so the length these is not so critical. 

1715761342_IMG_20201204_1030542.jpg.228943ab7bba96570f074a2ef2fd1fa0.jpg

 

And a view from the side

282046685_IMG_20201204_1031052.jpg.f22e9927f7f6b09eafe28e9a9680c20d.jpg

 

The next steps will be trying to get some point motors installed and then onto one of my least favorite jobs.....wiring  :help:. I am determined not to end up with a birds nest this time :lol:.

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, shanks522 said:

What point motors are you going to use Dave? 

Hi Graham,

 

I will use the colbolt points motor as shown below. There might be other options that work, but these one's look like they will work because the thin actuator arm (that I have in my hand in the photo, sorry that might not be the technical word for it:))  fits nicely in the hole in the points. 

 

1672241083_IMG_20201205_0827172.jpg.b6b9e949be9e523be4a3978f97c55bb5.jpg

 

8 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Looking good! And congratulations on the Maids Morton shot in BRM :D

 

Cheers

Simon

 

Thanks Simon, I haven't seen it yet because my issue takes a little longer to make it here, it comes via Dad. I am still based in Germany for now (God knows what will happen with my job if no trade deal is made as an English company working out of Germany). But I look forward to seeing it. 

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas and made the most of the chance lockdown has given to get a little extra modelling in than usual. 

 

One reasonably important development happened with North End Road.....a train actually ran along a track. Only the fast lines are wired up for now, but it was nice to see some motion and get a few different bits of stock out. 

 

IMG_20201222_160303.jpg.d940fb88329fd4ece0b1dbf6b050993a.jpg

 

IMG_20201222_160245.jpg.4f8934add68a7777e0d53a67f33131b4.jpg

 

The other big development was the starting of a backscene. It still needs painting and I am thinking of going for a light grey sky for a number of reasons, firstly it's England and looking through a lot of photos that have motivated me, the sky is often light grey and overcast. The second reason is that I've been told by a few people who know a lot more about photography than me, that the closer I can get to a white background the better. I got lost in the details of the explanation about how colours and details are shown off better, but because the layout is basically a glorified photo plank, it probably makes sense to take their advice. 

 

IMG_20210104_205418.jpg.4bedd8f49e93d1c0d7771f74b0e188dd.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Progress has been terribly slow here, but I've finally made some inroads into the backscene. 

 

The first step was a sky blue coat

20210123_190134.jpg.952359a499bbf827ab58dc61828b5d5d.jpg

 

And this was followed up with a white wash, thick at the bottom to very light at the top

812511000_20210123_1956502.jpg.3dfd1b4858ca1a230af22f56e75b262a.jpg

 

And some close up views 

827279520_20210123_1957192.jpg.0f542527dea15baa38d8b59a1cc3a952.jpg

859512647_20210123_1957102.jpg.10a610890239aa6fb02e8fe0967cec9c.jpg

 

Hopefully the next few weeks will be a bit quieter and I can sneak a little more modelling time in. The next steps will (probably) be buildings and greenery on the raised background section. I am a bit muddled about which season to model. So many models have greenery that is modelling the early summer bright greens (and there is nothing wrong with that), but I want the background to just blend in and not distract from the trains, either by being too colourful, too detailed or by having mistakes that look 'wrong' and draw the eye away from the trains. I am wondering if modelling late autumn or winter might give a better feeling to the layout. 

 

All the best,

Dave

 

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/01/2021 at 23:23, porkie said:

Looking good Dave. 

Like the extra details you have added in to blend the scenery in. 

 

Phil 

Thanks Phil, I hope all is well. 

 

It's been a good week for modelling this week, I've managed to get more done in the last few days than the rest of the year combined. No major changes to the last post, but some details on the foliage have been tidied up and the weathering on the wall is a bit neater and now sealed with a coat of matt varnish. The lower part of the wall needs a few details adding, but I will wait until the ballast is down before doing that. 

 

120041127_20210202_173917_HDR2.jpg.07be59568f39587c2237b7cc2b00c148.jpg

 

20210202_173950_HDR.jpg.8f0ae2fb0eaa40d1130459115f795461.jpg

 

20210202_173927_HDR.jpg.5ebca054d54e2d8f8f6e3d2df1963055.jpg

 

As always I am open to observations or suggestions, I always like to learn new things and get different perspectives. Even if it is something that is too late to change easily for this layout, hopefully this won't be the last I ever make :).

 

All the best,

Dave

 

  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave,

How are you operating the turnouts? Solenoid , servo or something else? The tie bars are they copper clad with the rails soldered to it?

Cheers

Duncan

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2021 at 12:04, Duncan. said:

Hi Dave,

How are you operating the turnouts? Solenoid , servo or something else? The tie bars are they copper clad with the rails soldered to it?

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I hope all is well and you are surviving this cold snap without too many problems. Excuse the photos, lighting is pretty poor under the baseboard, but there is a photo below. I had some servo motors left over from the last layout so I have re-used them. The tiebars have a small copper pad which the rail is soldered to. I haven't given them a full and thorough test yet, but the first actuations seems to work ok. I was a bit worried that there is nothing really allowing the tiebar to slide, no bearing as such. It is trapped between the rails and sleepers, so it can't fall apart. It is just a plastic on plastic sliding surface, but it seems to work for now. I wonder how well it will go later once gravel is down, I think I will need to be very careful to keep gravel and glue away from the tiebars motion path. 

 

585923638_20210211_194613_HDR2.jpg.9cbb2541317983519393427681aadb15.jpg

 

20210211_194634_HDR.jpg.c4f40a5423f191abb5e3eaa34e2836fe.jpg

 

I haven't got so far as making a control board, but the plan is to have a simple push button control board with feedback lights to indicate selected routes on a drawn track plan at some point. There are only 6 points so it shouldn't be overly complex (I might regret that sentence later :)) .

 

All the best,

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2021 at 10:34, DavidMcKenzie said:

Took a break from all the wiring to do a bit more modelling, I am glad I am not an electrician, my brain just doesn't seem to work in that way. About my only talent is building something that looks very much like a bird's nest out of the wires :rolleyes:.

 

Work started on the lineside items like the cable trunking, points motors, signal placement and AWS ramps. Although it's not a real location, looking at real locations with a similar track layout has been a big help for trying to get the right thing in roughly the right place. 

 

Plenty to do to tidy it all up, but it's a start at least. 

 

1272351899_20210208_212221_HDR3.jpg.81b7127cb57664bd44ea27f8d4205f89.jpg

 

20210208_212213_HDR.jpg.346593eeda08d4979cae443836db06ec.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave, Hadn't caught up with your thread so it was great to do a timelapse viewing! Cracking stuff and look forward to seeing more, Cheers Jerry

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2021 at 22:21, Squirrel Rail said:

Hi Dave, Hadn't caught up with your thread so it was great to do a timelapse viewing! Cracking stuff and look forward to seeing more, Cheers Jerry

Thanks Jerry, been a quiet week here modeling wise, I've been getting my head around wiring, feels like one step forwards and two steps backwards, but I think I am finally making progress. Pictures of the brilliant class 90s and 87s that have rolled off your workbench are keeping me motivated! 

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Works started on the platform edges. Slowly getting to something that's looking ok. Needs a final weathering to dull the white down and bring it all together. A few photos below at different stages of painting. 

 

20210309_203626_HDR.jpg.2f92e2fd1e164a16fd18e2467daf18ac.jpg

 

20210306_091508_HDR.jpg.79066a6015fa8b6e66b98f528506c206.jpg

 

20210308_180550_HDR.jpg.e3388e78fba011deb3920b47879d04d9.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2021 at 17:35, DavidMcKenzie said:

Thanks Phil, I hope all is well. 

 

It's been a good week for modelling this week, I've managed to get more done in the last few days than the rest of the year combined. No major changes to the last post, but some details on the foliage have been tidied up and the weathering on the wall is a bit neater and now sealed with a coat of matt varnish. The lower part of the wall needs a few details adding, but I will wait until the ballast is down before doing that. 

 

120041127_20210202_173917_HDR2.jpg.07be59568f39587c2237b7cc2b00c148.jpg

 

20210202_173950_HDR.jpg.8f0ae2fb0eaa40d1130459115f795461.jpg

 

20210202_173927_HDR.jpg.5ebca054d54e2d8f8f6e3d2df1963055.jpg

 

As always I am open to observations or suggestions, I always like to learn new things and get different perspectives. Even if it is something that is too late to change easily for this layout, hopefully this won't be the last I ever make :).

 

All the best,

Dave

 

 

Hi Dave,

 

Been watching this one progress and that embankment wall looks superb. Track is looking great too and looking forward to seeing some WCML trains whizzing by. Keep up the good work!

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2021 at 10:28, cornish trains jez said:

 

Hi Dave,

 

Been watching this one progress and that embankment wall looks superb. Track is looking great too and looking forward to seeing some WCML trains whizzing by. Keep up the good work!

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

 

Thanks Jeremy, very impressed with the track so far. Found one small glitch today, because the track is lower profile than peco set track, my platform edges sit too high. 

 

20210313_113019_HDR.jpg.c57dc1dbf60ccdbe51d74e69ae5f2128.jpg

 

I just did a quick search on Flickr to check I made no mistakes by working from memory and the platform is lower as shown below 

 

90011 WFJ 0845 LIV-EUS 8-5-99

 

Luckily the track is laid on cork, so removing the cork where the platform will be should give enough room to drop the platform edging. 

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference in height is something more like two layers of the cork matting I used rather than one, but made it work by removing a bit off the bottom of the platform as well, it was easier than pulling the track up and re-laying on a double layer of cork. 

 

I was happy to see there wasn't a drastic difference between the stock I've got so far. I know in theory they should all be the same height, but I've been caught out making assumptions like that before:rolleyes:

 

20210313_172314_HDR.jpg.a11d40e382c235598ff9c5a740be44ba.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

The difference in height is something more like two layers of the cork matting I used rather than one, but made it work by removing a bit off the bottom of the platform as well, it was easier than pulling the track up and re-laying on a double layer of cork. 

 

I was happy to see there wasn't a drastic difference between the stock I've got so far. I know in theory they should all be the same height, but I've been caught out making assumptions like that before:rolleyes:

 

20210313_172314_HDR.jpg.a11d40e382c235598ff9c5a740be44ba.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I remember you saying that you would use this layout build as a learning process...it appears that your wish has come true!

Happy modelling

Cheers

Duncan

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave, 

 

 layout is coming along nicely! Got a little question, what is the depth of the point motors? I’m planning a baseboard and don’t want the frame to be too shallow. 
 

cheers 

 

Graham 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2021 at 19:42, shanks522 said:

Hi Dave, 

 

 layout is coming along nicely! Got a little question, what is the depth of the point motors? I’m planning a baseboard and don’t want the frame to be too shallow. 
 

cheers 

 

Graham 

Hi Graham,

 

I hope all is well. The point motors are 65cm deep, but I would add a bit extra for the cable. Hopefully the picture below make more sense than my description, but the cable comes out the bottom and you'll need to allow for a bend in the wires. 

 

581190228_20210314_204001_HDR2.jpg.f4960683d79f88e4357c44320e115f59.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2021 at 19:36, Duncan. said:

Hi Dave,

I remember you saying that you would use this layout build as a learning process...it appears that your wish has come true!

Happy modelling

Cheers

Duncan

Most definitely learning Duncan :). I've made a change over the weekend after remembering your tip regarding the incorrect direction of lighting for Maid's Morton.

 

With the fast line on the viewing side of the layout the station end has to be the northern end. That means I would of had the windows in my northern lights factory facing south if I had not taken a few moments to think about your comments:scratchhead:. Always learning!

 

1495480243_20210314_123742_HDR2.jpg.d3665d0b19a3c4a5075a89fd867a38d2.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...