Jump to content

North End Road - WCML in N


DavidMcKenzie
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's been a while since the last update, life's little ups and downs mean I haven't had so much modelling time in the last month or so. 

 

Managed to sneak an hour and have another go at getting a colour match on the station lights as well as dulling down the concrete of the platforms. I am always amazed at the tricks a camera can play, the colour on the lights below was feeling far too pink until I took a photo of it, in the photos it almost looks too red.

 

The platform still has plenty of detailing to do, but it is nice to have the base colour about right now, I always find structures like this hard to get right, but a number of different light washes and dry brushing should get there in the end. 

 

20210815_214454_HDR.jpg.07d51ba6f2c4efc584dd30ec071ee509.jpg

 

20210815_214357_HDR.jpg.2903aa2434991720e5485d820a6e40dc.jpg

 

20210815_214508_HDR.jpg.7fd9a90ef62385f267dbad4563693be3.jpg

 

I am also finally heading back to the UK this weekend after 18months of not visiting due to corona, so I will enjoy picking up all the new additions to the layout which have been sitting at my parents. 

 

All the best,

Dave

 

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It felt like Christmas had come early getting back to the UK and seeing all of the new stock from the last 18 months, lots to enjoy over the winter

 

20210822_101818_HDR.jpg.b8d9a8b4023082e0814f1f42184562e6.jpg

 

I got started on the Sturgeon, the end door which come with the model looked good. But I couldn't find a photo of them running with the end doors and no side doors during my period so the first job was to fill the location holes, followed by a chalk white wash to tone down the colours. It's always a horrible feeling when the first steps are making a lovely new model worse. 

 

20210825_211202_HDR.jpg.7beed93aad78ce0de8752e2f71af50c8.jpg

 

20210826_113822_HDR.jpg.95ccad2583f51af04f3fc9d7b5af0382.jpg

 

Then some detailing of the buffer beam

 

20210826_113839_HDR.jpg.dfecc7876eda9353618ab518ec0cd8c7.jpg

 

Then some adding some rust spots and a brown wash2084600846_20210827_162811_HDR2.jpg.91cae3638f66222cdf2b55d2dda5a55f.jpg

 

629705104_20210827_162834_HDR2.jpg.08d093caac056720ced2d0105a5f7186.jpg

 

Then a little textured paint to give the buffers a realistic texture once painted in suitable colours20210827_162820_HDR.jpg.6fbf684b313f11f61c485a3411062cbe.jpg

 

I will post some pictures of it out on the layout once it is finished, but another brilliant model from revolution. 

 

In fact all of the models are really impressive. If I put them next to older generation stock the difference is night and day. About the only disappointment was my own fault for not checking properly. I wanted to re-spray the 31 into coal sector and have managed to order the wrong transfers. One of the downsides to not having shows at the moment, it's much easier to pick up the right thing when you have it in your hand:). Never mind! 

 

20210829_104918_HDR.jpg.6b1549110a993ef52d5ee2bfd6a4fbf4.jpg

 

Talking of shows, I am terribly impressed with what Duncan is doing with his wonderful shirebrook layout and having a running day at home and inviting guests. A great way to get a slice of normality through these difficult times. Link below if you don't know what I am talking about. 

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136284-shirebrook-n-gauge-1980s-era-layout/page/44/&tab=comments#comment-4558328

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

It felt like Christmas had come early getting back to the UK and seeing all of the new stock from the last 18 months, lots to enjoy over the winter

 

20210822_101818_HDR.jpg.b8d9a8b4023082e0814f1f42184562e6.jpg

 

I got started on the Sturgeon, the end door which come with the model looked good. But I couldn't find a photo of them running with the end doors and no side doors during my period so the first job was to fill the location holes, followed by a chalk white wash to tone down the colours. It's always a horrible feeling when the first steps are making a lovely new model worse. 

 

20210825_211202_HDR.jpg.7beed93aad78ce0de8752e2f71af50c8.jpg

 

20210826_113822_HDR.jpg.95ccad2583f51af04f3fc9d7b5af0382.jpg

 

Then some detailing of the buffer beam

 

20210826_113839_HDR.jpg.dfecc7876eda9353618ab518ec0cd8c7.jpg

 

Then some adding some rust spots and a brown wash2084600846_20210827_162811_HDR2.jpg.91cae3638f66222cdf2b55d2dda5a55f.jpg

 

629705104_20210827_162834_HDR2.jpg.08d093caac056720ced2d0105a5f7186.jpg

 

Then a little textured paint to give the buffers a realistic texture once painted in suitable colours20210827_162820_HDR.jpg.6fbf684b313f11f61c485a3411062cbe.jpg

 

I will post some pictures of it out on the layout once it is finished, but another brilliant model from revolution. 

 

In fact all of the models are really impressive. If I put them next to older generation stock the difference is night and day. About the only disappointment was my own fault for not checking properly. I wanted to re-spray the 31 into coal sector and have managed to order the wrong transfers. One of the downsides to not having shows at the moment, it's much easier to pick up the right thing when you have it in your hand:). Never mind! 

 

20210829_104918_HDR.jpg.6b1549110a993ef52d5ee2bfd6a4fbf4.jpg

 

Talking of shows, I am terribly impressed with what Duncan is doing with his wonderful shirebrook layout and having a running day at home and inviting guests. A great way to get a slice of normality through these difficult times. Link below if you don't know what I am talking about. 

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136284-shirebrook-n-gauge-1980s-era-layout/page/44/&tab=comments#comment-4558328

 

All the best,

Dave

Dave I have lots of the transfers you need would you like me to drop some in the post for you?

Cheers

Duncan

  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2021 at 16:24, DavidMcKenzie said:

I wanted to re-spray the 31 into coal sector and have managed to order the wrong transfers. One of the downsides to not having shows at the moment, it's much easier to pick up the right thing when you have it in your hand:). Never mind! 

 

20210829_104918_HDR.jpg.6b1549110a993ef52d5ee2bfd6a4fbf4.jpg

 

 

 

Are you doing a full respray or just changing the Sub Sector symbols?  I changed mine to coal, but I was planning on just using the fox transfers with the grey blanking piece to overlay onto the existing ones, however the fox ones are ever so slightly smaller, so ended up removing the factory decals with a cocktail stick.

Edited by Stuart A
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 29/08/2021 at 21:50, porkie said:

Love what you have done with the wagon Dave. 

How do you rate the 31 as its on my shopping list 

Thanks Porkie, it's a nice wagon to start with and then found a few pictures of them in the late 90s and tried to match the photo. I

 

I would say the 31 is a very good model, without being outstanding. I haven't weathered it yet and that usually adds a bit to any model and makes it look a little less like a toy so hopefully it will only get better. A lot of the detailing is very good. The only reason I say "not outstanding" is little bits like the handrails on the front ends are not wire, very picky little things like that which only really show in close up photography and overall I am very happy. A big improvement over the old 31. 

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stuart A said:

 

Are you doing a full respray or just changing the Sub Sectror symbols?  I changed mine to coal, but I was planning on just using the fox transfers with the grey blanking piece to overlay onto the existing ones, however the fox ones are ever so slightly smaller, so ended up removing the factory decals with a cocktail stick.

Hi Stuart,

 

Do you post your progress anywhere? I'd be interested to see it (also like the HSTs in your profile pic!:good_mini:).

 

I must admit my planning isn't always what it should be and I was pretty much going to make it up as I went along :rolleyes:. But the symbols I do have in the photos above are far too small and there is no 'vertical' stripe in the pack either. I will wait to see what arrives from Duncan and go from there, it wouldn't be the first time his tips and advice have saved me from myself :)

 

All the best,

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave.  I think the pack you have is for the HAA hoppers in their original form (later changed to tiny ones as those decals got damaged as the wagons were going through the auto loaders, IIRC)

 

Images below, 1st attempt with the blanking (white not grey as I previously put) at the top, finished at the bottom.

 

I really should document my very slow modelling progress - it might spur me on to do more!

PXL_20210316_174103231.jpg

PXL_20210831_134114590.jpg

Edited by Stuart A
  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Please excuse the lack of posts and progress. Renovation of the new house has taken every free minute over the past months. 

 

The good news is that there is some space for a model railway again and it doesn't need to be stored on a shelf above the bed. The plan will be to use the new space to have a permanent fiddle yard and 'interchangeable' scenic sections to future proof the railway room:)

 

Although it is a very small start, the modelling stuff is unpacked and the first modelling in months happened last night. 

 

A slow and humble start, but the station lights just looked wrong to me as they came out of the package. I took the good advice of constantly looking at reference photos whilst modelling. If you look at the picture below (not mine linked from Flickr) they just look too thick, so work has begun on modifying them to make them thinner. I'm glad there are only 6 or 7 to do  and the station roof saves me from having to do 3 full platforms worth. 

 

82113, Birmingham International

 

 

Compared to the photo above they are too thick and stand out too much, although the basic dimensions (hight, width etc.) Seem to be very good and close enough to not distract from the focus point of the trains. 

 

20210815_214357_HDR.jpg.782d32feb0428d3fe3b0c520fde10209.jpg

 

The first modified one below. The challenge now will be repeating the others in the same way :scratchhead:

 

20211112_195753_HDR.jpg.d39bbbeeec1d6a173cfb0c8a4af5103d.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The station lights made their way into the layout. 

 

Starting with the bad, the station sign looks out of place and distracts from the trains, so it has been taken off. I have just been trying to explain to my wife how I have done the work on the station lights so that they don't stand out and just blend into a plausible background.....about halfway through the explanation I did start to wonder if I am a little crazy :laugh_mini: but hopefully it'll all make sense as the layout comes together (he says with crossed fingers:)).

 

20211116_175333_HDR.jpg.b88183b71cbf1571040e882eccef6ae3.jpg

 

The other lights gave the look I was hoping for though and have a place on the layout now (nothing is glued down yet, just in place).

 

20211116_175312_HDR.jpg.c0147174b253420636e91f7bac02fc73.jpg

 

20211116_175440_HDR.jpg.713e69bcc7e55e5b4d09eda7b898c39c.jpg

 

1647416913_20211116_175357_HDR2.jpg.748a8f3679784c12b69e22869060ca72.jpg

 

The other development over the past few days has been the station building. Still not glued down and a horrible gap to the platform which needs sorting at a later date, but the additional signs and weathering bring it to life a little. 

 

1795708214_20211116_175454_HDR2.jpg.4ac42e9e0404f34b5df94f8ceba5888e.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 23/11/2021 at 18:12, MarshLane said:

Hi David,
Love what you have done with the station lamps, and the edging on the platforms looks equally superb, really getting the feel of a North London WCML station now.

Rich

 

Thanks Rich. At some angles the layout still looks like a complete building site, but occasionally I look at the right angle and block out some of the background mess and then it is starting to look something like I dreamt of when starting. A long way to go yet, but it's great to be making progress again. 

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Struggling to post, it's deleted itself three times. Hopefully it's just a short term glitch, if this keeps happening I will have to post progress elsewhere, needing to write posts a number of times combined with all of the new pop up advertising have very much put me off posting here. Has anyone else had similar issues? post is below (hopefully:banghead:): 

 

A rake of dogfish wagons has been sitting patiently waiting for some some weathering and work finally got started on them. Only three test wagons got weathered to the end as a start, all slightly different weathering to check the end result before doing the full rake. 

 

The first step was dulling down the original paint with a white wash:

1630496011_20210903_115845_HDR2.jpg.9162e8ed7f3ebff79d16c9ea37fceeac.jpg

 

 

Then some base colour added to the underframe:

2033182277_20211117_111421_HDR2.jpg.e9ebef45f5b42f9deacded365e1ccd88.jpg

 

 

Rust spots picked out, warning flashes added (should really have done that first, only noticed they were missing at this stage though):

1929394046_20211119_110908_HDR2.jpg.afafb37abc074fb99ae070582d34cf77.jpg

206985058_20211119_110901_HDR2.jpg.f6ed6b29b16f3b0479159b944fa17f16.jpg

1427611210_20211119_112742_HDR2.jpg.cc105e5e100b4c64335b8b1da48a713c.jpg

 

Dry brushing followed by picking detail out. 3D builders plates added and data panels:

650309058_20211119_202404_HDR2.jpg.d93a0095b7941a08eeab93d9cd643e9a.jpg

 

The last wagon of the rake had the coupler cut off and some detailing. I was under the impression that dogfish wagons always needed a brake van at the end, but a Flickr search proved that not to be the case and seeing as I don't have a brake van (yet)....

1532380881_20211121_142345_HDR2.jpg.89f8dc65aa0d820457a0244964a2b957.jpg

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/railpics-online/33065383993/in/photolist-sDt5Nm-2hUznPo-9H4J4u-2mjrTYG-2mje3tR-mfbtuk-2m4Bze5-SnSJFt-F5D883-2iCXCji-jKFM7Q-qk7zKV-gK1wmh-8Qvcv8-2m4k37H-UsjB2A-2m4A4Nz-rvXELh-FcGmiW-ewhSYf-8Qvd4P-GYfcJg-PC11hE-jzyAGc-MzmcBx-a4JzEZ-PhbFZ7-9qTpCx-e5cS8d-iwDnEZ-2m4vxDo-2NKorA-ejeqrN-21PUYLS-d8Xgzy-nwjk1Y-dWHfje-MgKooV-g5zBPR-tXBGRA-8os6Sa-noSxb6-9H1Q6T-aEGRAZ-22VckmD-2dVFjiE-ANngb7-DZmcyS-w2FyW9-2cv8pPi

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/45975431804/in/photolist-2d3G77G-2m3Tjqm-2m9W2p2-2m3KNES-2hxjemi-2k5osnZ-2azLrS9-QfSTtK-2hsysEy-9De9h5-ptbNAp-SyNLPL-2mhMH49-2iYTiTu-K8s5qA-2kUV8KQ-U9rXPr-2iKH5WQ-CbbYzs-eDeGZ6-N5swxQ-2mje3LV-N7Koio-8noFPw-2mjt3fA-Mz8FVo-2hhnSLa-2m4tVAA-2m47Qdr-2gdZ9iX-2m4BLDE-dS3AEu-9DbxG6-dS3Az5-2m3X9sX-RguwPf-2c54RKJ-2m4rvWt-2mjrU6R-2iCB8Kz-acxjYA-qbtyd6-2mjj5h4-2iUpEDy-MYoBDk-2ikWm4J-dS3ABy-25zR4SZ-dRX1AM-dRX1Dr

 

There is still a thick lip at the top of the wagons which looks out of place, I don't know if I will try to taper it and thin it down, or try to hide it with painting, but it doesn't look right. The last bit which looks out of place is the big couplers. Maybe the Dapol short couplers or even trying revolutions detailed couplers that they use between IZA wagons once the fiddle yard is complete and the wagons don't need to be disconnected for each other so often. 

 

All the best,

Dave

20211117_111421_HDR~2.jpg

  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean about that top lip. I think it is a two pronged attack, slightly tapered and a bit of paint to camoflage it too. I also have a fairly big rake to do at some point in the future.

As for the couplings, I keep checking the RevolutioN website, but those couplings are OOS!    Just hope they get loads in when they do become available, because I need alot.....

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to get the dogfish out on the layout. Wasn't much of a running session because it's still not a complete loop yet, only back and forth is possible. But nice to see a train move after months of nothing. 

 

673533544_20211127_173504_HDR2.jpg.4aa395f5f15c3e1a1d52347800328c2e.jpg

 

979184636_20211127_173532_HDR2.jpg.a9acc654039c4414d469c11f7ca60f87.jpg

 

The last shot sums up the state of the layout:). Depending on which direction you look, it could be close to finished ..... Or just started. But plenty to keep me out of trouble over the winter. 

 

425012798_20211127_173751_HDR2.jpg.458042bba61c4c62ec0a4ee3b2cc5b6d.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Managed to get the dogfish out on the layout. Wasn't much of a running session because it's still not a complete loop yet, only back and forth is possible. But nice to see a train move after months of nothing. 

 

673533544_20211127_173504_HDR2.jpg.4aa395f5f15c3e1a1d52347800328c2e.jpg

 

979184636_20211127_173532_HDR2.jpg.a9acc654039c4414d469c11f7ca60f87.jpg

 

The last shot sums up the state of the layout:). Depending on which direction you look, it could be close to finished ..... Or just started. But plenty to keep me out of trouble over the winter. 

 

425012798_20211127_173751_HDR2.jpg.458042bba61c4c62ec0a4ee3b2cc5b6d.jpg

 

All the best,

Dave

Superb Dave,

All the wonderful qualities of your previous layout!

Rich

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/12/2021 at 14:37, bmthtrains - David said:

Looks superb! At some point we will have to get all of us modelling the WCML in N to run the same train and stitch a video together - from London to Glasgow!

 

David 

Great idea! I wonder how many WCML layouts are out there in n? Sorry if I've missed any obvious ones, but I've tried to list the ones I know of, very loosely starting south and heading north. It would be great to have the list added to and find a few more:

 

Euston (I think work might have stopped on this though)

Hatch End

Hunters Lane

Kings Park

North End Road

Smithtown road junction

Harrow & Wealdstone

Southern Section

Kinlet wharf

Rugby

Horseley Fields

Harriton

Milton Grove

Dallam

Law Junction

 

The big question would be........which train to run :). Possibilities are endless. 

 

All the best,

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Great idea! I wonder how many WCML layouts are out there in n? Sorry if I've missed any obvious ones, but I've tried to list the ones I know of, very loosely starting south and heading north. It would be great to have the list added to and find a few more:

 

Euston (I think work might have stopped on this though)

Hatch End

Hunters Lane

North End Road

Smithtown road junction

Harrow & Wealdstone

Kinlet wharf

Rugby

Horseley Fields

Harriton

Milton Grove

Dallam

Law Junction

 

The big question would be........which train to run :). Possibilities are endless. 

 

All the best,

Dave

... Kings Park

 

es grüßt

pc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...