London Road Models hornblock etch

75.jpeg.1a78fbd7a9c8379b5fa9a9890fc7e71c.jpeg

Two of these London Road models etched turned up with some other items, can someone please conform their identity. there are what looks to be 2 hornblock guides and part of a radial truck ?

As there is both no identification on the packets or any spare list produced hopefully someone can assist. Thanks 

Correctly identified by Paul and Brassey as Radial Truck etches (as used in several LRM LNWR loco kits). Can be built in 00, EM and P4 gauges. The small fold up tab with the slot is to take a spring wire. It can just be seen in this photo of a LNWR 4' 6" 2-4-2T.

image.png.c9384d32542890db097ee235b0ce8579.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, they do slide both vertically and horizontally in the etched guides. These are designed to fit a "standard" horn block cut out, so can be used in AG milled frames or any etched frames with cut-outs for carrying wheels.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, micklner said:

Jol,

I have just ordered two of these etches for a LNER F8 . Hopefully they come. with instructions?. Do I have to buy Hornblocks as nothing on the LRM site listing saying so ?

Mick,

the etch has everything you need, except for the spring wire. Radial truck etches (00/P4 and EM), etched guides, 2mm brass bearings and assorted etched axle spacers. There is a simple 3D drawing showing the assembled parts.

Jol

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Mick,

the etch has everything you need, except for the spring wire. Radial truck etches (00/P4 and EM), etched guides, 2mm brass bearings and assorted etched axle spacers. There is a simple 3D drawing showing the assembled parts.

Jol

Excellent thanks for the reply .

4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Mick,

Jol

When I bought one off the LRM stand at a show, there were no destructions or bearings, just the etch

6 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

When I bought one off the LRM stand at a show, there were no destructions or bearings, just the etch

David, 

copy of assembly drawing attached. As far as I know a John Redrup usually puts this in the packet for mail order and they are handed out at shows with purchases.

The bearings are normally included in the etch "packet", as can be seen in the top LH corner of the left hand packet in John's OP photo.

At least that is how I remember things, it is about 12 months since I last helped him out at a show!

Of course, John is only an email away at:

londonroadmodels@btinternet.com

or through the contact  link on the LRM website if you need to contact him about his products.

Jol

Radial truck new instructions drawing.pdf

• Thanks 1

My etches x 2 which I hope to fit to a LNER F8  2-4-2 Tank  has arrived with the bearings included 

There are no instructions only as said a very basic diagram . Nothing on how to fit it into a chassis,  or size type of spring wire etc.

Personally I have no idea what to do with it, once the etched truck parts are assembled , that still leaves two oblong shape with slots and small holes  to deal  with ?? .

Has anyone on here ,actually built and fitted them to a chassis please?

Mick

Each etch has 2 trucks, one for EM gauge the second either P4 (outer slots) or 00 (inner slots). I assume as these wheels are not coupled the hornblocks are more like guides which the radial trucks just need to slide through. Perhaps if someone has a set of loco build instructions they could copy the relevant parts 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, k22009 said:

There's a photo here if that helps

Thanks, I have found a photo on page 10 of the thread . It shows some of the wire set up , sadly everything is too dark or the wheels are in the way.

I have emailed LRM hopefully I will some more detail, which I will post on here.

edit

Just found a couple more photos on page 8 of the LRM thread. It is still not clear to me, how you can fit them to another chassis, that hasnt been designed for them to fit into.  My Jidenco F8  has no cut outs in the frames , still not obvious what the oblongs shapes  with slots are for or where they would go.

Edited by micklner

5 hours ago, micklner said:

Thanks, I have found a photo on page 10 of the thread . It shows some of the wire set up , sadly everything is too dark or the wheels are in the way.

I have emailed LRM hopefully I will some more detail, which I will post on here.

edit

Just found a couple more photos on page 8 of the LRM thread. It is still not clear to me, how you can fit them to another chassis, that hasnt been designed for them to fit into.  My Jidenco F8  has no cut outs in the frames , still not obvious what the oblongs shapes  with slots are for or where they would go.

Mick,

the radial truck guides, which is what I think you mean by oblong shapes, are designed for a standard 4mm hornblock cut-out.  i.e. a 6mm wide slot, with the top edge 4mm above the axle centre line.

This photo of the underside of P4 frames for a LRM LNWR 4'6" tank. (the one referred to by K22009 above) shows the radial truck fitted into the  guides for the truck. These are etched as part of the frames, but are the effectively the same as those on the two guides in the separate radial truck etch.

With those, the sides of the guides should be folded to approx. 90 degrees and then soldered into the cut out. They can then be "tweaked" to the correct angle to take the radial truck.

image.png.b0bb2b568c56b4bb76b5a7d1e233af7d.png

The truck and guides were produced as a separate item at the request of several modellers who had already had experience of them in  LRM kits. The guide etch was designed to fit into the "standard" hornblock cut-out as these are included as half etch guides in a number of etched frames/chassis as well as in the profile milled AGW brass frames. Marking out, sawing and filing cut outs in frames where they aren't already marked/etched/machined is also reasonably straightforward. That is especially so if you sweat/fix the frames together to ensure that the cut outs are aligned when creating them.

Jol

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jol

A little bit clearer now. I have only build fixed frame kits , I have never used compensation in OO.

Yes that is the oblong shapes I refered too, I can now see where the folds go. What are the small holes for, at the top of the folded over pieces please ?

What size/type  of spring wire is required and where does it fit/locate too please?.

I presume the spring wire will be  fitted underneath the Truck in the above photo (I cannot see any wire fitted), and goes through the small tab/lift up with a small hole  section, in the centre of the truck . Its then soldered to where ? . I presume you do not solder the wire to the centre "tab" but its left free to move/slide through the hole , when the truck swings   ?

Thanks again

Mick

Edited by micklner

Mick,

the holes are for retaining wires  to stop the radial truck falling out when the loco is lifted up (don't forget the latest photo is of the "chassis" upside down). The springing wire is usually above the radial truck, soldered to a suitable spacer on the chassis. On the LNWR 4'6" Tank, there are small mounting "lugs" that can be soldered to slots in the nearest spacers. I have also built one loco where spring simply presses onto the plain side of the radial truck (mounted up side down compared to the one in the photo) so it doesn't exert any side control.

If fitting the truck to a kit that wasn't specifically designed to use it, then you have to arrange your own mounting for the wire. I generally use .010" or .011"guitar wire (which I have for making Alex Jackson couplings) and drill a .5mm hole in the frame spacer to take it, finally soldering it in place when correctly lined up and tensioned. The wire can be above or below the truck, depending on which is most convenient, either pressing or pulling down.  It only needs light pressure, just to keep the wheels onto the track.

I've lightened the photo of the finished 2-4-2T chassis which may make things a bit clearer. The front radial truck spring is soldered to adjacent spacer in two places, then bends down to fit through the truck.

Just to be pedantic, this isn't compensation, but simple springing. This radial truck arrangement was designed for this model (and also used in several other LRM kits) to represent what the prototype had. It was also easier to incorporate than some sort of pony truck.

Jol

Chassis completed.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1