Cambrian 6T van livery

NCB

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to find a pic of the ends of these vans, as I know what the sides should look like, but not sure about the ends. In particular, "faces of external framing were black" may or may not apply to the central framing of the ends. Not sure where the number goes either. Any ideas?

Nigel

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

There is a photo on page 141 of Cambrian Railways Gallery which I think shows the end framing black. On the other hand in the photo on page 142 none of the framing looks black to me.

Any use?

Jonathan

Thanks a lot, Jonathan. Must have missed it. The pic on page 141 tells me all I need. The pic on 142 looks odd, all the same colour; I wonder if it's not Cambrian.

Nigel

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wondered that too. The general design was pretty common in pre-grouping days, though it was probably not GW.

I am glad you agree about the first photo as I recently painted a Cambrian van before I discovered the photo, including black framing on the ends.

Jonathan

• Like 1

I have a theory, based solely on spending far too much time looking at photographs, that the Cambrian painted the framing of their vans black when new, but gave them the simple all-over grey treatment at any subsequent repaints.  My only reservation is that I would have expected the percentage of all-over grey photographs to be rather higher than it actually is.

• Like 2