New 47s... any issues?

fezza

30 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Afternoon everyone.

This seems like the best place to post this. The last time I used my Farish class 47 (47209) it made a slight electrical popping sound and then stopped dead.

I’ve just had a look at it now finally and swapped the DCC decoder for another one that I know works and it still won’t move although the lights are working as they should. 

I’m not really of the ability to strip the thing apart (actually no. I could strip it apart no problem but I doubt I could put it back together again!).

What would be the best course of action here, would anyone be able to recommend someone to send it off to or should I look at buying a new chassis from Bachmann?

Just to add that it won’t work on DC either by the way.

Any advice much appreciated.

Nick

My guess would be the PCB, or at least that a component (or components) on it have failed. I have had a few blow over the years, usually you get lights but no movement either on DC or DCC just as you describe.

There will be those who will know what components on the PCB to replace and have the necessary skill, but I have bought new ones at about £16 a pop direct from Bachmann's spares department. Install is easy if you are careful and methodical, and no soldering required.

Regards

Roy

14 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

My guess would be the PCB, or at least that a component (or components) on it have failed. I have had a few blow over the years, usually you get lights but no movement either on DC or DCC just as you describe.

There will be those who will know what components on the PCB to replace and have the necessary skill, but I have bought new ones at about £16 a pop direct from Bachmann's spares department. Install is easy if you are careful and methodical, and no soldering required.

Regards

Roy

That’s helpful thanks Roy. 
I’ve been trying to find a video of how to do this but no joy yet. The fact that there’s no soldering required makes things somewhat easier than I was thinking it would be.