Launceston GWR Locomotive Shed Plan

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

I'm sure I'm not imaging this but does anyone know where I might track down a copy of Launceston (GWRs) locomotive shed plan? I know it exists but cannot for the life of me remember where I saw it. I was discussing its potential use as a prototype with a friend over the phone (who is just getting into N gauge) and said I'd send it on to him (insert eek face!). 

Any help would be greatly apricated! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Greetings,

I'm sure I'm not imaging this but does anyone know where I might track down a copy of Launceston (GWRs) locomotive shed plan? I know it exists but cannot for the life of me remember where I saw it. I was discussing its potential use as a prototype with a friend over the phone (who is just getting into N gauge) and said I'd send it on to him (insert eek face!). 

Any help would be greatly apricated! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick, Do you mean the building or the general shed area trackwork?

Edit: It is covered in "An historical survey of GWR engine sheds 1947" by Lyons.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi!

Thanks Harlequin; that’s really helpful. 

Building really, but if there is anything else useful that would be really helpful. I do have a couple of track plans (from the King Book) so any better ones are alway useful for the Brinkly archive!

Cheers,

Nick.

You're welcome.

That site is very useful, but could do with later 25" to the mile maps.

My maternal grandparents lived near the Plymouth end of the branch at Marsh Mills. The Plympton branch of the Plymouth and Dartmouth Tramway ran past their front door, not that there was much trace of it by the 1950. All I remember is a raised pavement further along the road towards Plympton. Most of the lower tracks of this line are now buried under modern development, but I was able to explore quite a lot of it in my youth. If only I'd had the information available now, but there was no internet then or even the books published since.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

You're welcome.

My maternal grandparents lived near the Plymouth end of the branch at Marsh Mills. The Plympton branch of the Plymouth and Dartmouth Tramway ran past their front door, not that there was much trace of it by the 1950. All I remember is a raised pavement further along the road towards Plympton. Most of the lower tracks of this line are now buried under modern development, but I was able to explore quite a lot of it in my youth. If only I'd had the information available now, but there was no internet then or even the books published since.

try:

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

You're welcome.

When we were kids we used to play a lot in this area.  At that time there was a siding by the little bridge over the Plym with wagons parked on it.  Also the signals by the GW branch into Coypool were a great attraction as was the signal box by the branch and the Lee Moor tramway, not to mention the incline.  All gone now, but it was nice to have seen it!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Yes I remember the siding. There were usually wagons on it and from time to time these would change. This was a mystery to me at the time, as the line was supposed to be disused, though they did replace the bridge just inland of the Coypool crossing when it collapsed. I know now that they made infrequent trips to preserve the right of way.  I remember there was a makeshift repair of the Plym bridge railings with some netting.

I was very proud of myself for being able to push one of the wagons (I must have been 8 or 9). I seriously overestimated the weight at 10 tons and it might even have been one of the wagons with roller bearings. (IIRC there were a few of these and some with wheels revolved around the axle, which must have helped on the sharp curves.)

12 minutes ago, lakeview770 said:

Try the books by RA Cooke GWR track diagrams they’re detailed and show revision dates etc

Thanks, but these incidents took place on the Leemoor  tramway at Marsh Mills and not the GW Tavvy branch.   David, we pushed a few of those wagons around, too!:D

Brian.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brianusa said:

Thanks, but these incidents took place on the Leemoor  tramway at Marsh Mills and not the GW Tavvy branch.   David, we pushed a few of those wagons around, too!:D

Brian.

You couldn't make a model of Marsh Mills station without including the LMT. IMHO it was the most interesting thing about it.

I think Marsh Mills would make a good model. Where else can you get a china clay works, a military installation, an industrial tramway and a disused canal as scenic items. The canal was particularly dark and dour I recall. With sufficient space, you could include the Marshalling Yard. On holiday, I would fall asleep to the sound of shunting pannier tanks and clashing buffers.

Edited by Il Grifone

Sorry Nick for hijacking your topic.:(  At least there is a slight connection to Marsh Mills at the other end of the branch.:)

Hopefully you have some answers relevant to your request.

Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Sorry Nick for hijacking your topic.:(  At least there is a slight connection to Marsh Mills at the other end of the branch.:)

Hopefully you have some answers relevant to your request.

Brian.

Well the OP does state an intention to model all the stations!  :)

Plymbridge Platform is quite interesting for a small model; River, GWR/BR(W) branch, canal, tramway (junction, sidings, stables, canal and the foot of the incline). There isn't a great deal of railway interest though.

I've found  where they hid the later map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=50.40875&lon=-4.08044&layers=193&b=4

Edited by Il Grifone
Include map reference

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry about hijacking the thread at all. I'm always interested to learn more about the Branch. 

A copy of E Lyons Historical Survey of Great Western Engine Sheds has arrived and been most useful - the GWR standard running shed diagram will be used to help inform the building drawing (height and fittings etc). Unless anyone knows of the location of the actual drawing?

Regards,

Nick.

• 5 weeks later...

Talking of plans of Launceston, the "original" 25-inch map

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=50.64070&lon=-4.35957&layers=168&b=1

shows no link between the rival GWR and LSWR tracks (no surprise there).

But by the time of the OS 1:10,560 map of 1949-1969...

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=50.64056&lon=-4.35849&layers=193&b=1

... there's a link from the GWR track just west of Ridgegrove Bridge onto the LSWR, just east of the LSWR station throat.

Does anyone know when that link was built?

Just asking in case the Rivet Counters get nasty about that being included in an early 1960's-style layout with GWR & SR steam and WR diesel. ^_^

As this topic is still open, I would add that Tavistock GW  station and environs is very modelable.  Three tracks, overall roof, fair size yard with turntable.  A lot of potential there; maybe its been done already?  The SR station was also a good candidate but not as much, more main line though.

Brian

• Like 1