XtrackCAD - How to measure length of selected tracks

EsK

I am new to XtrackCAD. I have created a track plan and was looking for a way to know the length of selected section of tracks. Is there a way to get this in XtrackCAD? I tied to search for it but could not figure out how to get the total length for a particular section of tracks (not individual track lengths).

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Krish

7 hours ago, EsK said:

I am new to XtrackCAD. I have created a track plan and was looking for a way to know the length of selected section of tracks. Is there a way to get this in XtrackCAD? I tied to search for it but could not figure out how to get the total length for a particular section of tracks (not individual track lengths).

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Krish

I'm not aware of a method.

I just use a notepad and a calculator to add them all together.

Don't forget that there is also the ruler tool than you can use but it only really works for straight sections

Edited by Aire Head
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RobinofLoxley said:

I guess not what you wanted to hear, but Anyrail has this feature. Totals up the length of all track types separately as you go.

With AnyRail you can define a section of the layout whose total length you want to know by inserting isolators at the ends of the section using the "Add isolator" function at the relevant track joints, and then define that as a named section using the "Create section" function.  It will then report the total length of that section in the File→Info→List of Sections function.

If you prefer to add the lengths up by hand then AnyRail will also report the length of any single bit of flexi of any shape if you hover the mouse pointer over it.

• Like 1

Thank you so much guys, really appreciate the help.

With the layout all drawn I think the easiest way to go at it is what @AireHead has suggested - use a notepad & calculator! Sounds kind of primitive while using a CAD software but XtrackCAD is free and instead of paying $60 for Anyrail, then to re-draw the track plan & get the block lengths, I guess I'll just use a calculator. In any case, after this, I don't intend to be laying new tracks for a long time.

Please find attached the expansion track plan, which is an extension to my existing layout. There was extra space that became available, so I just created a bunch of tracks running around. I don’t model any geography or era but am fond of automation and use iTrain for that.

The dark track stubs are the connections to the existing layout. The thatched part is the existing layout (track plan not shown on this plan). The space at the top & left is the space that is being used for the expansion. The trackage is N scale Kato Unitrack.

Would welcome any suggestions because there are no limitations other than the space & Kato Unitrack.

Thanks!

Krish

Krish_expansion.pdf

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

XTrackCad will give you the total length of flexi in your design (Manage / Parts list) if that's any help.  But you need to add a margin (>10%?) for wastage.