Framlingham signalling diagram.

jwealleans

Does anyone have/know the location of a signalling diagram covering Framlingham?   Ideally in the early nationalisation era but anything would be helpful.   Some members of Ely MRC are researching the station with a view to building it as an extension to the current Wickham Market layout.

Thanks in advance.

Check out the Peter Paye book “The Framlingham Branch” (Oakwood Press, 2008) which devotes a whole chapter to signalling and has diagrams (albeit from a much earlier period, late nineteenth century) for the whole of the branch.  Surely the “research” includes copies of this book?

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I was looking at it only yesterday and chatting with a friend who is modelling it in O gauge.

There were lots of alterations during the 20th Century, with the initial GER arrangement being illustrated in the book. He has the book and I was visiting him, so I don't have access to it now but the book doesn't have a BR period diagram.

Initially, there was a starter at the platform end, then beyond the station, there was an advanced starter and a home, both on the same post.

I can't remember the dates but the passenger service was withdrawn and the signalbox became a glorified ground frame for several years, with the full sized signals removed, possibly from early LNER days. In the mid 30s, passenger trains resumed and signals were put back in, this time there were 4, an inner and outer home and an starter plus advanced starter. This time, the signals appear to have their own posts. Sadly, they appear mostly in the background of photos that become a load of dots when you scan and enlarge them, so details were tricky to pick out.

We were trying to see, from the various photos, how the signal wires got from the box to the platform starter but so far, we haven't seen any sign of how they were run. The only decent signal box photo seems to be after closure, with no rods or wires coming out.

There were a few ground signals too, which also are hard to see details of in photos.

Unless more information is found, there is likely to be an element of "best guessing" some parts. 

Edited by t-b-g
To add content