Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

This shows just how bored I am - what is it for you?

11 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

With all exhibitions cancelled (and being part of two exhibition only layout teams)

Focusing almost exclusively on the Exhibition scene is the root cause of your problem here.

"No exhibitions" seems to equal "no motivation for railway modelling"?

Personally the lack of exhibitions is something I've hardly noticed - I only get to two or three in a year if I'm lucky, my modelling universe doesn't revolve around them at all.

All this shows is just how different people's approach to the hobby can be, I suppose. But I'm never bored....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Being a nurse I have not had time to get bored, Yet I managed to repaint, update and repair over a dozen engines. God knows where I found the time to do it.....lol

If you want to get something done, ask someone who is busy !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m reading into this, possibly incorrectly, that Mr Yakima isn’t espoused, because if he was, he would be deeply grateful for a bit of boredom, on the basis that one never gets time to be bored when working through a long list of jobs set by one’s nearest and dearest.

You start working through the list and knock off a couple of difficult time consuming ones. Only instead of thanks, you get snaky comments, like you haven't got a particular task yet!

Then they get upset, because you've just made an uncomplimentary remark!

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Focusing almost exclusively on the Exhibition scene is the root cause of your problem here.

"No exhibitions" seems to equal "no motivation for railway modelling"?

All this shows is just how different people's approach to the hobby can be, I suppose. But I'm never bored....

Absolutely correct in all your assumptions/conclusions. It's something I've said before on RMweb (apologies to those who have read this before) - I need everything I do to have a purpose.  For me the purpose of railway modelling is (to a great extent) to have something to exhibit at shows.

For example

My last show was Warley in November - this highlighted a lot of work needed to be done before my next show would have been Aly Paly in Mid-March.

I worked EVERY day from mid-November to March 16th (inc Xmas Day) on the layout. One day I worked 15 hours solidly from 5.30am! After Aly Paly was cancelled I continued doing a bit of modelling on the assumption that Peterborough in December would still go ahead, but since May I've done nothing.

CONCLUSION (for me) - my hobby is exhibiting and layout building is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Absolutely correct in all your assumptions/conclusions. It's something I've said before on RMweb (apologies to those who have read this before) - I need everything I do to have a purpose.  For me the purpose of railway modelling is (to a great extent) to have something to exhibit at shows.

snip

. . . .  my hobby is exhibiting and layout building is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

You need to accept that currently you cannot go to exhibitions and physically exhibit a layout, and therefore you need to refocus and change your modelling 'purpose' tack. Why not make the effort to exhibit your modelling activity or layout on-line, here on RMweb for example, through photographs, videos and the written word? Or write an article that a commercial magazine could publish.

Not accepting the current situation or not being able to adapt will just make you bored and restless.

• Like 1

If the real reward for you is the sharing of the results of your work with others, and the positive feedback that comes from that, how  about becoming a You-tuber or whatever the equivalent is called on face-book?

i think there is probably an audience out there waiting for you, because lots of the rest of us are missing the ‘exhibition experience’ too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grahame said:

Why not make the effort to exhibit your modelling activity or layout on-line, here on RMweb for example, through photographs, videos and the written word? 

There is a Thread on here somewhere, for the current layout of Mr Yakima, & very interesting it has been, as it's of an 'unusual' - for the UK - prototype. Unfortunately the fact that the said layout is too big to be set up at home, has resulted in that thread not having much to say during lockdown, either.

I have a big box of mixed screws in my shed. I know where to send it now if I want it sorting out...  :jester:

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, grahame said:

You need to accept that currently you cannot go to exhibitions and physically exhibit a layout, and therefore you need to refocus and change your modelling 'purpose' tack. 

Not accepting the current situation or not being able to adapt will just make you bored and restless.

Thank you for your concern. My OP was meant in a lighthearted vein on the basis that no-one sorts out the screw collection unless they are really 'bored'.  I can reassure you that there is no serious mental-health issue here - I was just at a lose end for an hour or two. I have several other railway related hobby issues to attend to which will ensure that the next 6/12 months will be quite busy.

I apologise to anyone who took my OP to be a more serious issue than it really is.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Just moved some stuff around in the garage in a lull between showers so as to gain access to some of the mid-range to deep stored items. (Deep stored reads much better than to get at the stuff shoved in at the back!)

Edited by john new
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that I am feeling rather bored as I am missing club nights and the chance to meet up with good and long-term friends.  I'm afraid this has spilled into my own modelling at home.  Much as I enjoy the hobby and making things, the people are also important.  Yes, we can phone and meet on Zoom, but it's not the same as being rude to club members face-to-face.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

20 hours ago, snitchthebudgie said:

I think that I am feeling rather bored as I am missing club nights and the chance to meet up with good and long-term friends.  I'm afraid this has spilled into my own modelling at home.  Much as I enjoy the hobby and making things, the people are also important.  Yes, we can phone and meet on Zoom, but it's not the same as being rude to club members face-to-face.....

Do you remember Willis sorting the Club screws into tobacco tins, or was it after your time?  B

On 06/10/2020 at 07:48, TEAMYAKIMA said:

CONCLUSION (for me) - my hobby is exhibiting and layout building is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

You're not alone in that. I know several modellers who only build layouts in order to have something to exhibit and that's absolutely fine.

I was once very active in a local drama group, a creative activity every bit as multifacetted as railway modelling. We took it seriously - no Francis Durbridge or pantomimes- and in MR terms were probably EM rather than RTR OO but not P4. However, unlike some groups where the most established members hog all the best parts, we also prided ourselves on developing everyone's talents. A new member who'd never been on stage before could find themselves in a lead role surprisingly quickly and you could be the lead actor or director in one production (we did three a year), lighting the next one and painting scenery for the third.

However, without the ability to put on productions for a live audience  it would have been fairly meaningless. Much of our more serious work was probably lost on the half the audience who tended to be friends of the cast but theatre without an audience isn't theatre and I can well see that many feel the same about layout building. So, like the stage, you can't just expect someone for whom the purpose is to exhibit to simply find a different motivation for modelling. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1