Heljan O guage class 33 and class 26

english electric

4 hours ago, Ressaldar said:

just to complete the picture as it were, the gear train -

P1010469-001.JPG.03746dbf8129a7af0fe9fc7a3ba7246f.JPG

nothing changed here, but hopefully, non splitting gear wheels!

regards

Mike

Looks very similar Mike, i thought an upgrade was on the cards, I have an original one with split axle gear.

I notice on the original green liveried version with full yellow ends the white stripe should only go to the cab doors not beyond it.

Alan

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Looks very similar Mike, i thought an upgrade was on the cards, I have an original one with split axle gear.

I notice on the original green liveried version with full yellow ends the white stripe should only go to the cab doors not beyond it.

Alan

They have set the bogie springs back, added details on the later one eg headlight etc but its fundamentally a re-run. To be fair I don't think Heljan have ever said otherwise but I did see one of the retailers branding it an all new model, which is misleading.

I have the nameplate 'Seafire' on order and rather than wait for that, I have now attached the 'Arrows of In distinction' and the depot plate

P1010472-001.JPG.5355f52f26ed9d7ab6b1fd49d4895449.JPG

and before anybody shouts out, Rule 1 applies - Hither Green was my nearest mpd in my youth and all 33s were initially allocated there and whilst I like the Eastleigh 'Spitfire' and all that that means, I had to have the Oast Houses.

DCC installation will follow after fitting the supplied dampers to the No1 bogie and then the weathering.

regards

Mike

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Valleysniper said:

Picked up my 33 yesterday, nice. 

20200202_184236.jpg

20200202_184022.jpg

well the quality of that weathering is not as advertised. Supposedly it would be a copy of the preproduction sample which to quote Ben at the MIOG show, the Chinese are excellent at copying Brian’s paint job. Obviously not

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Not entirely surprising. Good weathering requires patience and lots of well observed but subtle detail. Mass produced weathering is typically an overspray of one colour (and in this case partial removal again). I wouldnt be surprised if it is a matter of seconds or a few minutes per loco.

Edited by Hal Nail

Yeah, apologies to Valleysniper, but I really don't like the factory weathering on that loco. The preproduction loco looked good, but I guessed the effort that went into that wouldn't make it into production. It just reinforces my decision to buy pristine and if I want it weathered, get it done bespoke. You get what you pay for, as they say.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Pete 75C

26 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Not entirely surprising. Good weathering requires patience and lots of well observed but subtle detail. Mass produced weathering is typically an overspray of one colour (and in this case partial removal again). I wouldnt be surprised if it is a matter of seconds or a few minutes per loco.

I understand that for a production preweathered loco they will not be spending hours on it, however Ben said the model on the stand was sprayed in the factory and is exactly how they would be, which is why those there thought they were fantastic for factory weathered locos, but obviously not. i would have been bitterly disappointed with that, after being told how it would be. luckily i only bought 2 construction sector and 008. there's enough corrections on those for me to be getting on with, the black on the windscreens not getting corrected and the orange cant rail stripe being too low on all of them, and the printed Eastleigh nameplate being too high. I hope i can remove them without too much agro, but at least its not a total respray job for me this time

Edited by 47606odin

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

I understand that for a production preweathered loco they will not be spending hours on it, however Ben said the model on the stand was sprayed in the factory and is exactly how they would be, which is why those there thought they were fantastic for factory weathered locos, but obviously not. i would have been bitterly disappointed with that after being told how it would be.

I wasnt meaning to be provocative towards anyone who's bought one  - poorly worded as I was both agreeing and invoking hindsight!

Does anyone know when the radio pods on the cab roof started to be fitted to 33s?

I bought an un-weathered blue 33 as I wasn't convinced by the factory weathering but this doesn't come with "pods". I suspect I will need to find a source of these somehow...

Edited by admiles

On 31/01/2020 at 13:10, Ressaldar said:

just to complete the picture as it were, the gear train -

P1010469-001.JPG.03746dbf8129a7af0fe9fc7a3ba7246f.JPG

nothing changed here, but hopefully, non splitting gear wheels!

regards

Mike

Is it me - possibly? !!

That brass bush top left doesn't seem to be mounted properly.

Al.

55 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Is it me - possibly? !!

That brass bush top left doesn't seem to be mounted properly.

Al.

Hi Al,

I think that what you are seeing is a slight distortion caused by using a 14mm focal length lens  close to the object. I have run the loco for nearly two hours since taking that photo and it is running very quietly and without any signs of any sideways movement.

I hope that it continues in this manner.

kind regards

Mike 

On 03/02/2020 at 04:30, 47606odin said:

well the quality of that weathering is not as advertised. Supposedly it would be a copy of the preproduction sample which to quote Ben at the MIOG show, the Chinese are excellent at copying Brian’s paint job. Obviously not

The sample on show at MIOG was/is factory weathered and was approved on that basis. Obviously there will always be some variation in the application from loco to loco but this doesn’t match what we approved. I will try and find out what has happened and if this one is an isolated example. 

Ben

• Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, 61661 said:

The sample on show at MIOG was/is factory weathered and was approved on that basis. Obviously there will always be some variation in the application from loco to loco but this doesn’t match what we approved. I will try and find out what has happened and if this one is an isolated example. 

Ben

Thanks Ben for confirming what has been said. Much appreciated 

Can somebody post a link to some detailed pictures of the example factory supposed to copy to see what's not correct on mine. 

This was the 2nd weathered 33 I received after the 1st was replaced because of drive problems when tested.

Ben if this model finish is not what it is supposed to be and is a one off,  will you arrange to replace it with one it that is correct, if there is one?

Can anyone confirm if the latest release of 33s are supposed to have red tail lights? There’s no mention of them in the instruction leaflet and no switches under the loco so I suspect not but would be good to know for sure.

Many Thanks!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Valleysniper said:

Can somebody post a link to some detailed pictures of the example factory supposed to copy to see what's not correct on mine. 

Google Heljan 33 factory weathering for various retailers shots of the released version. Side view 1 page back in this thread of the original sample that did the exhibition rounds. I'm sure theres a better shot on here somewhere but cant find it at the moment.

Edited by Hal Nail

10 hours ago, admiles said:

Can anyone confirm if the latest release of 33s are supposed to have red tail lights? There’s no mention of them in the instruction leaflet and no switches under the loco so I suspect not but would be good to know for sure.

Many Thanks!

I have two from the first batch and they have red tail lights but no switch, lights change depending on direction.

Cheers

A

19 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

I have two from the first batch and they have red tail lights but no switch, lights change depending on direction.

Cheers

A

Interesting thanks. No red tail lights on my second batch loco! Need to get the shell off for a better look.

7 hours ago, admiles said:

Interesting thanks. No red tail lights on my second batch loco! Need to get the shell off for a better look.

Do you have the white light behind the centre headcode?

The body is  easy to get apart, four long screws two each side each one just off centre behind the sideframes. .

On 31/01/2020 at 22:52, Hal Nail said:

They have set the bogie springs back, added details on the later one eg headlight etc but its fundamentally a re-run. To be fair I don't think Heljan have ever said otherwise but I did see one of the retailers branding it an all new model, which is misleading.

Then hopefully the revised sideframes will be available from Gaugemaster?

Yes, it's got white LEDs behind each set of headcode blinds. Think I'll have to work out a way to also fit a red LED to each end or use a bi-colour one if I want tail lights (which I do).

Obviously the headcode blinds will have to be changed to blocks rather than numbers and will have to be white rather than red and rely on the red LED shining through.

Edited by admiles

The Zimo MX699KV duly arrived from YouChoos, with two of their 40x18x7 IceCube double speakers and t was then a case of disentangling the Heljan wiring - a backward step compared with the Class 50 but fairly straightforward

P1010474.JPG.4599c7349894110b7b05661fee836946.JPG

the KV version of the MX699 is a bit of an overkill in as much as you can programme 14 functions and I only needed two! thankfully the windscreen wipers and drivers door windows don't come with any motors fitted. On the plus side, it comes with three hefty capacitors fitted as a 'stay alive'.

P1010475.JPG.b2e472d8c281e0cba1a764368b9b3c9c.JPG

there is sufficient space beneath the decoder to fit both speakers side by side, having first lined both sides of the cavity with a strip of insulating tape as protection against the soldered terminals on the speakers.

Heljan have persisted with their sized PCB as opposed to the industry standards decoders, hence the plasticard carrier plate screwed to the pylons and the decoder then screwed to the carrier plate - another backward step from that supplied with the Class 50. It will be interesting to see if the 'reworked' Hymek retains the old Heljan details inside the chassis!

It has been commented on on other Forum that these new 33s are not fitted with the twin red lights as the first run were. There is a red LED fitted at each end, fed by the yellow/green wires as seen in photos i & 2 in post #7 above -

P1010476.JPG.3c9aa1ab7cc1a68bd7a15f828e446882.JPG

the problem lies with the 'prismatic strip' that Heljan have used to transfer the light to the lens - it just about gets to the end. I am considering replacing the fitted system with LEDs to each lamp position, which would be a bit of a nuisance because I am thinking that they would have to be fitted to the body rather than the chassis which makes it awkward when taking the body off of the chassis and probably the reason that Heljan took the route that they did.

Having said all of the above, I am really pleased with the loco, still awaiting the nameplate and finalising the weathering and bearing all of that in mind, here is a short video of the loco on the rolling road, with only one of the two speakers connected - hope you enjoy it

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1