Heljan O guage class 33 and class 26

english electric

On 06/02/2020 at 12:40, admiles said:

Interesting thanks. No red tail lights on my second batch loco! Need to get the shell off for a better look.

Just by way of a follow up on this I double checked my 33 at the weekend and there were definitely no tail lights to be seen. I check in the dark to be 100% sure!

Off with the shell and a quick tracing of wires back to the PCB to find neither tail light wire attached! That would do it then....

20 seconds with a screwdriver resulted in working tail lights.

(Now to undo it all again to fit a decoder!)

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

Hi Keith,

look no further, I have not wired up the roof fan. Aux5/FA3 is the terminal that you need, and that appears to be controlled via Function 11 and CV45 with a value of 16 - this needs adjusting to suit your own requirements.

Hope this helps.

regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, that does explain why I couldn't see it and yes, your information certainly helps. I've just bought the recently updated  Hymek and whilst I've not taken the body off yet I'm thinking the electrics will be similar and I'm just trying to decide what to do DCC wise. I'm rather new to this so just researching the options before I take the plunge!

Regards,

Keith. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2020 at 13:48, Ressaldar said:

The Zimo MX699KV duly arrived from YouChoos, with two of their 40x18x7 IceCube double speakers and t was then a case of disentangling the Heljan wiring - a backward step compared with the Class 50 but fairly straightforward

P1010474.JPG.4599c7349894110b7b05661fee836946.JPG

the KV version of the MX699 is a bit of an overkill in as much as you can programme 14 functions and I only needed two! thankfully the windscreen wipers and drivers door windows don't come with any motors fitted. On the plus side, it comes with three hefty capacitors fitted as a 'stay alive'.

P1010475.JPG.b2e472d8c281e0cba1a764368b9b3c9c.JPG

there is sufficient space beneath the decoder to fit both speakers side by side, having first lined both sides of the cavity with a strip of insulating tape as protection against the soldered terminals on the speakers.

Heljan have persisted with their sized PCB as opposed to the industry standards decoders, hence the plasticard carrier plate screwed to the pylons and the decoder then screwed to the carrier plate - another backward step from that supplied with the Class 50. It will be interesting to see if the 'reworked' Hymek retains the old Heljan details inside the chassis!

It has been commented on on other Forum that these new 33s are not fitted with the twin red lights as the first run were. There is a red LED fitted at each end, fed by the yellow/green wires as seen in photos i & 2 in post #7 above -

P1010476.JPG.3c9aa1ab7cc1a68bd7a15f828e446882.JPG

the problem lies with the 'prismatic strip' that Heljan have used to transfer the light to the lens - it just about gets to the end. I am considering replacing the fitted system with LEDs to each lamp position, which would be a bit of a nuisance because I am thinking that they would have to be fitted to the body rather than the chassis which makes it awkward when taking the body off of the chassis and probably the reason that Heljan took the route that they did.

Having said all of the above, I am really pleased with the loco, still awaiting the nameplate and finalising the weathering and bearing all of that in mind, here is a short video of the loco on the rolling road, with only one of the two speakers connected - hope you enjoy it

regards

Mike

Hi Mike, 

you don’t happen to have any pictures of how you mounted the speakers at all? 

cheers 

Callum

Hi Callum,

not as such, but if you look closely at the second picture, you can just see both speakers laying side by side in the space under the decoder. As I mentioned in the text, I applied a strip of insulating tape along the inside face of the upstand to ensure that the metal parts of the speaker could not touch it and therefore short out. The speakers are YouChoos Ice Cube 40x18x7 and at present, on;y one is actually wired in.

regards

Mike

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ressaldar said:

Hi Callum,

not as such, but if you look closely at the second picture, you can just see both speakers laying side by side in the space under the decoder. As I mentioned in the text, I applied a strip of insulating tape along the inside face of the upstand to ensure that the metal parts of the speaker could not touch it and therefore short out. The speakers are YouChoos Ice Cube 40x18x7 and at present, on;y one is actually wired in.

regards

Mike

Cheers! 

thought that was the case! ... just wanted to double check! 

I have on the way exactly the same! Just wasn’t sure how to do it! 

With the speakers (When you connect both)  would it be parallel or series? Electrics absolutely stump me! 

next on the list is the 50s I have, which I have no clue what to do! 

cheers 

Callum

13 hours ago, cazadoom said:

Cheers! 

thought that was the case! ... just wanted to double check! 

I have on the way exactly the same! Just wasn’t sure how to do it! 

With the speakers (When you connect both)  would it be parallel or series? Electrics absolutely stump me! 

next on the list is the 50s I have, which I have no clue what to do! 

cheers 

Callum

Hi Callum,

John Gymer at YouChoos pointed out that these speakers must be connected in SERIES when I ordered the decoder and speakers for the Class 50, so he same would apply here with the Class 33.

kind regards

Mike

On 26/02/2020 at 08:08, Ressaldar said:

Hi Callum,

John Gymer at YouChoos pointed out that these speakers must be connected in SERIES when I ordered the decoder and speakers for the Class 50, so he same would apply here with the Class 33.

kind regards

Mike

Cheers for your help mike! Much Appreciated!

Following your picture managed to get it all wired up an making noise!

Only problem being is no Red Tail lights at all, I see you mentioned its the Green/Yellow that is for them, wired them up to the same as your pic with no result! did yours work? 

Sorry for all the questions 

Cheers 

Callum  

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/03/2020 at 12:50, 47606odin said:

My depot is filling up

D2AA5D5C-51C7-490F-99BB-3AC5A843EBD4.jpeg.0f0155b3aa1693cc0ebfbbfc853da50f.jpeg4BCC8D30-20DE-4E17-8CC8-4A5DF35B0CE6.jpeg.2e6240c3c9cf8d8d830bb3ff42df5d07.jpegE3DDAD60-040D-48FC-99C3-DCBBCC87A35D.jpeg.a5c75e44a6c2c9bbffa4f349e0a876f8.jpeg23E74760-E6DA-478E-846C-C5E368062931.jpeg.cad964af493d3b7788e116df26f0a7a1.jpegAAE88C8A-3EF1-4391-B9EE-FCC40D044458.jpeg.01ebb72637fd81303be932abc12432f2.jpeg

7F422010-B365-4046-B6C1-9E56767A3587.jpeg

Hi Odin

Just wanted to ask about the snowplough fitting on your 33’s. Do they now have the same system as the 25/3 with a drilled and tapped hole in the chassis which the snowplough securing screws are firmly fixed into, or is it the same poor set up as the original 33 using the bogie frame?

Cheers

5 hours ago, Airport2010 said:

Hi Odin

Just wanted to ask about the snowplough fitting on your 33’s. Do they now have the same system as the 25/3 with a drilled and tapped hole in the chassis which the snowplough securing screws are firmly fixed into, or is it the same poor set up as the original 33 using the bogie frame?

Cheers

no, they mount on the front of the bogie 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 47606odin said:

no, they mount on the front of the bogie 

Apart from the set back bogie springs and for the later version, the addition of a headlight and the fitting above the cab, I dont think that much is different between old and new?

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Apart from the set back bogie springs and for the later version, the addition of a headlight and the fitting above the cab, I dont think that much is different between old and new?

Thanks for the responses Odin and HN.

I’ve got one of the first series in banger blue (my first O gauge loco) which I unfortunately overpaid for, so I’m reluctant to flog it at probably a big loss. I daresay if I put the two locos side by side there would be some differences apparent, but I’ll take that chance and maybe grab one if they’re ever reduced.

Got the 47, 56 and Bubble Car to pay for this year, all being well!

Cheers Phil

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Airport2010 said:

Thanks for the responses Odin and HN.

I’ve got one of the first series in banger blue (my first O gauge loco) which I unfortunately overpaid for, so I’m reluctant to flog it at probably a big loss. I daresay if I put the two locos side by side there would be some differences apparent, but I’ll take that chance and maybe grab one if they’re ever reduced.

Got the 47, 56 and Bubble Car to pay for this year, all being well!

Cheers Phil

The body is the same and the chassis layout the same: whether the electronics changed I'm not sure but I certainly wouldn't sell one to upgrade - it was a rerun not a new tool.

The rather nice weathered one above is the old one.

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

The body is the same and the chassis layout the same: whether the electronics changed I'm not sure but I certainly wouldn't sell one to upgrade - it was a rerun not a new tool.

The rather nice weathered one above is the old one.

the only alteration on the underframe is the inclusion of the missing pipe work on the bogie molding, narrower fuel tank and recessed bogie springs. All are cheap to replace if you buy spare bogie frames and fuel tanks, upgrade done. However if yo7 look at my Hither green thread you can see the additional detail parts I used from MM1 models to make it even better

• RMweb Premium

Hi all 

I have 2 of the first batch of 33. One has a definite split gear, I’ve taken that out, and the other started a thumping noise today. 

Does anyone know if these gears can be saved or will they all split ?

I wondered about taking the unsplit ones off the shaft and reaming out the hole a bit as I seem to remember the hole being too small was mentioned as being the cause of the split ?

I am also after one of the coupling pivots and 2 couplings if anyone has any spare. Gaugemaster don’t have any. 

thanks

Roger

Edited by 21C123

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 21C123 said:

Hi all 

I have 2 of the first batch of 33. One has a definite split gear, I’ve taken that out, and the other started a thumping noise today. 

Does anyone know if these gears can be saved or will they all split ?

I wondered about taking the unsplit ones off the shaft and reaming out the hole a bit as I seem to remember the hole being too small was mentioned as being the cause of the split ?

I am also after one of the coupling pivots and 2 couplings if anyone has any spare. Gaugemaster don’t have any. 

thanks

Roger

I suspect the pivots will become available. the 03 and 37/4 spares are showing as "expected inbound" and these models came out before the revamped 33 I think. I reckon the lists for the 33 are just whats left from the old one - theres no way they've sold out of so many parts in a couple of months.

Someone made brass replacement gears but I cant find the link at present. Heljan apparently modified these so the newer ones are ok but i'm not sure f you can get them as spares since Gaugemaster took over.